Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:25 AM

3 posts, read 9,185 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in Harrisburg, NC moving to the North Charleston area in the next two months. We have four young children so looking for a neighborhood that feeds into some great schools (PK-5). We would prefer a neighborhood that the houses are not on top of each other and quiet. Husband's new job is off 26 in Goose Creek. Also anyone have any info on Preschools in the area too? Help would be much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 09:30 AM

727 posts, read 715,039 times
Can you provide more specifics, such as budget, #bedrooms/bathrooms? Are you planning to rent or buy? Also, if you could give more of a work location, it would help people direct you to an area with the best reverse commute.

You can find a lot of information about schools on sites like GreatSchools. Sorry, can't help with preschools, but maybe someone else can.

There is a new charter school in Goose Creek named Mevers School of Excellence that is K-7. Mevers School of Excellence

I know someone whose children go there, and she is satisfied with everything but say communication with home is sometimes lacking.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:36 AM

We are looking to possibly rent or purchase a 4-5 bedroom house. The price we want to pay is no more than $250,000. The work location is located between St. James Ave and 52. Thanks for the info on the charter school!

Old 06-14-2018, 02:58 PM

Since you have one going into elementary school pretty soon, I'd suggest pinning down the school first, then looking at addresses assigned to that school. Sometimes the school assignments on the real estate sites aren't accurate, so what I did was look for the bus routes of the schools I was interested in, then called the school office to verify.

I don't know anything about the elementary schools in the area, but for developments and distance from work, Crowfield, Liberty Hall (both Goose Creek) and Tanner Plantation (Hanahan) immediately come to mind. All are family neighborhoods (not always so quiet!) and I see that there are several 4 bedroom homes for sale in your price range. Not so many 5 BR, but they are there. The Sangaree area of Summerville might work. I've always thought it had a bad reputation, but after driving through I found there are some nice neighborhoods in there. If you're looking for something rural, those will be more scarce.

Rent seems to run between $1800-$2500/mo for the size house you are looking for, in a good area.

You're welcome for the charter school info. My friend lives in Summerville, but in Charleston County. Once her oldest was ready for middle school she wasn't very satisfied with the school so she took a chance on the charter school. So far, so good.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:38 PM

Thank you!! We will check these neighborhoods out!

Old 06-14-2018, 04:25 PM

I forgot about Cane Bay. A little farther out, but worth considering. Just looked at Great Schools. The elementary school has good scores, and is right in the development.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
As usual, BSJSAS has some good information. You should take a look at Greatschools.org and SchoolDigger.com to get an idea of what the schools are like in that area. Search the forum here and ask direct questions for information on individual schools as well. All of those sources are the beginning steps to researching schools... if you can visit the school, that would be good too.

4 bedrooms for $250k or less shouldn't too hard to find.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
Considering this area for my family as well. Just curious how you like the area since you moved?

Old 02-24-2020, 05:14 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
I forgot about Cane Bay. A little farther out, but worth considering. Just looked at Great Schools. The elementary school has good scores, and is right in the development.
You're not going to be able to get a 4-5 bedroom in Cane Bay for 250k though, more like 350k. I just put a 4 bedroom town home under contract out there in the Meridian community, for like 256k, it's a bit on the smaller side at 1900 sq feet but, if you considered a town home you could hit your budget in Cane Bay. Another option that might get you into the 200's for that size single family would be Truehomes in Nexton which sit right on the border with Cane Bay just across the highway from them. They have a 4 bedroom that starts in the 270's.

That being said, there's going to be plenty of options available to you in both Goose Creek and Summerville. Also, the northern part of Hanahan in communities like Otranto may be viable. Be sure to look at Ladson as well.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:06 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
As far as Cane Bay is concerned, the current residents are complaining because there's only one road in and out of that subdivision.....almost 3200 homes and just a single egress road. Imagine how many cycles of the traffic light that takes to get out of there during the morning commute.

And the local gubmint in Berkeley county is anguishing over who's responsible for maintaining a 2nd road in and out. The developers didn't put it in the approved plans, and the county doesn't want to spend the bucks.

Berkeley county is going to need some serious infrastructure upgrades in the very near future.....I don't think there's a fire house anywhere near Cane Bay. Those residents should be prepared for a big jump in taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area