Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 03:13 PM

56 posts, read 41,606 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a few questions and concerns about moving to the Charleston area (within 30-40 minute driving radius). Just to introduce myself, I'm 35 years old, born and raised in New Jersey and I've always despised living here for many reasons. I don't make a lot of money but I work for a very large company and the reason I got a job at a huge company was so I could relocate out of NJ. I've been doing research on the best cities and states to live and I chose several locations based on my preferences, the very absolute top reason is cost of living and being within 30-40 minutes from a major city with a good art scene. I don't make any money from my paintings but I am a moderately successful artist who has had 35 exhibitions, so I want to be somewhat near a city to have access to cultural institutions such as art galleries and art organizations to display my work(I like that Charleston is also not too far from Columbus and Savannah).

So that being said. I've considered all parts of the country and broke it down to 3 choices with South Carolina on the top of my list by a wide margin. The other two being southern Virginia and central Tennessee.

One of the reasons I'm getting out of NJ is I don't like the social culture here. I'm pretty laid back and prefer being in the countryside for peace and quiet while I still need access to cities for art exhibition opportunities. That being said, I am a lot friendlier and better mannered than most people from the Northeast (New Yorkers get on my nerves), I understand that some SC locals are a little frustrated that people from other parts of the country at moving there (and I don't blame them), probably why I like Charleston over Charlotte, NC is because it seems to maintain a Southern cultural identity. So my questions are:

1. How should I expect to be treated in SC, if I show I want to assimilate to the culture?
2. I'm not a religious person, is it required to join a church to assimilate to the culture?
3. In terms of the arts, how would you describe Charleston and South Carolina as a whole in this regard?
4. I want to rent my first year in South Carolina and then buy a house for no more than 180K but still be within 30-40 minutes at the most from Charleston. I also need a place with zero to little crime. Where should I live?
5. I hate cold weather and I dislike hot weather, but I prefer warm to cool. The way I see it, I can tolerate heat that's too hot to be outdoors for a few months, I'll just treat it like it's a NJ winter and do indoor activities during those months. How many months of the year is it too hot to be outside? Like not a good idea to walk around for more than 10 minutes.
6. I love older architecture with a passion, especially from the 19th and 18th centuries. Where are the best places to see lots of old buildings and plantations?
7. Love Southern food, it's one of my absolute favorites. What dishes should I try in SC
8. I'm 35, single and don't want children, but I don't mind if a girl has children. I'm of Russian and Hungarian decent. How is the dating scene here? I prefer to date around my age or a little older.
9. Considering I would like to move in a year, what should I do to prepare to move SC?

Frankly, moving isn't an option for me. I literally don't make enough money to live on my own in the state of New Jersey that isn't crime-infested and absolutely can't afford a house here, even in bad areas. I plan on visiting South Carolina before moving of course (just waiting to finish off my car payments before moving), but based on what I've read and watched it seems like a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 10:52 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,581,309 times
Charleston is very expensive.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:10 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,840,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Charleston is very expensive.
Charleston is not expensive depending on where you are coming from

Old 07-07-2018, 11:11 PM

What is your budget ?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
What is your budget ?
Well my salary is about 27k a year. That's considered poverty in NJ. I'm looking to rent first year then buy a detached house for about 180k or less. If I did relocate my job-site would be in Mt. Pleasant.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedra View Post
Well my salary is about 27k a year. That's considered poverty in NJ. I'm looking to rent first year then buy a detached house for about 180k or less. If I did relocate my job-site would be in Mt. Pleasant.
I would stick with around summerville area. Which includes jedburg, ladson, Lincolnville. Goose creek will be idea for you. Many people commute in the a.m to charleston/mt.p but with rush hour traffic you are looking at about anything between 25 mins to an hour and 1.5 depending on if wrecks. With out traffic 25 to 30min will get you in.
If you want to really be in the country side i would stick with jedburg and even throw in ridgeville. Drive is a little longer but people drive it everyday

Old 07-08-2018, 10:05 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,275,702 times
There's a difference between a living wage for the peninsula/inner suburbs of the county of Charleston (and all it offers to enjoy) and the rest of the state. So do the basic planning tasks: draw on a map an outline of the 45 minute circumference of Charleston.
Not so straight forward to do, is it? That's why you are asking here. We'll need to think on this.
You should be researching the area (using CD) to decide how to take your expected wage and make it afford your requirements.
Nice to hear someone wants to join the art community. We enjoy the talent displayed across the city.
Good luck

Old 07-08-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
There's a difference between a living wage for the peninsula/inner suburbs of the county of Charleston (and all it offers to enjoy) and the rest of the state. So do the basic planning tasks: draw on a map an outline of the 45 minute circumference of Charleston.
Not so straight forward to do, is it? That's why you are asking here. We'll need to think on this.
You should be researching the area (using CD) to decide how to take your expected wage and make it afford your requirements.
Nice to hear someone wants to join the art community. We enjoy the talent displayed across the city.
Good luck
That was a little passive aggressive lol. I had other questions too. But thanks, I look forward to learning about the artistic culture of South Carolina and the surrounding states. I hope the people of Charleston will enjoy my paintings.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:52 PM

14,190 posts, read 14,543,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedra View Post
You are not going to get a sniff of a detached home within a one hour commute time from Mount Pleasant for $180K.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:06 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,055,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Charleston is not expensive depending on where you are coming from
Unless your comming from New York or LA Charleston is very expensive. Even a few years ago Charleston seemed like it would be a cheaper cost of living than almost any other decent city. Now it seems Charleston is on par with Chicago which is cheaper than most other large major cities ie NY and LA but still one of the more expensive areas of the country to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area