Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times

Advertisements

I live by checks & cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 09:10 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Just wondering... why in the world do people still write checks? I couldn't tell you the last time I actually wrote a check! I am always wondering why this still happens in 2010? Debit cards are much quicker and don't hold up the line as much

Probably 2005 last check I wrote. I cringe when I'm in line and I see the person in front pull out and dust off the ole' checkbook. I know from being in retail that most of our customers TRY and use them to float money. And that's precisely why we DONT take em' ...

Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 PM

206 posts, read 711,847 times
I have received "the email" also... tailored to my area.. Knoxville, TN and it's hilarious.. and so true!!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Porkr- I thought most places ran checks in a way similar to debit cards. ie- they scan it and it puts a hold on the $. I used to think I had a two day period to move funds after writing a check but around 2000 pretty much found out the $ were coming out pretty quick and gave up the practice.

Or is it only large retailers, utilities, etc that do that?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
I like to write checks b/c I use the duplicate checks and have a record of what I just wrote and how much since I am terrible about entering my check and debit transactions in my ledger. That duplicate NCR form comes in handy all the time!
And before you say it......I know I can call or go online to look up my transactions and to get my balance and I do that at least once a week, but I like having it on my paper ledger in my checkbook. For some reason, I spend less when using cash or writing checks....plastic is too easy to lose track of and get carried away with.
Hey, checks work better for me and help me control and keep track of my spending. (BTW, I write out my checks BEFORE I even go in the store and save just the amount to write in when I get to the checkout line so I don't hold people up).

Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 PM

435 posts, read 835,283 times
Come on, you should all know not to use debit card because you have little protection from bad charges. As long as you pay off credit card every month, use the damn credit card and get some cash back.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:55 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCh View Post
Come on, you should all know not to use debit card because you have little protection from bad charges. As long as you pay off credit card every month, use the damn credit card and get some cash back.
Jimmy this is wrong, if you use a Visa/MC debit card it carries the same exact protection as a credit card without all of the fees and possible problems....

Remember the borrower is slave to the lender.....

Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Jimmy this is wrong, if you use a Visa/MC debit card it carries the same exact protection as a credit card without all of the fees and possible problems....

Remember the borrower is slave to the lender.....
That is true IF you tell them to run it as "credit" instead of "debit" and sign the receipt instead of entering your PIN.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 PM

435 posts, read 835,283 times
Tom if you can not read, please don't respond. I have no credit card debt but buy everything on credit card to get cash back. Also, there is a limit for fraudulent charge on credit card, but a different law governs the debit card. Go read up if you don't know. I am too tired to tell you what the law says (hint: it is posted on Federal trade commission). Btw, I have never paid credit card fee ever.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:46 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCh View Post
Tom if you can not read, please don't respond. I have no credit card debt but buy everything on credit card to get cash back. Also, there is a limit for fraudulent charge on credit card, but a different law governs the debit card. Go read up if you don't know. I am too tired to tell you what the law says (hint: it is posted on Federal trade commission). Btw, I have never paid credit card fee ever.
The law that covers Credit cards also covers debit cards run as credit, they have the same exact coverage.....

As for you not having credit card debt that puts you and I in the 1% bracket that do not.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area