Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM

403 posts, read 932,492 times

Advertisements

Unfortunatly, I am starting to understand why Mt. Pleasant has the "snobby" reputation it does. I have been noticing it subtly on a daily basis but today takes the cake. I have never been so mad at someone. I accidentally made a wrong turn into a subdivision (Simmon's Point if you want to know!) and someone actually had the nerve to stop their car and reprimand me for trying to turn around to get out. How else was I supposed to get out?? Pretend I lived there and park in someone's driveway and then leave?!

After living here the past 2 months, I can see the snobbery (is that even a word?) more and more. I am so disappointed because I really like this area. And before someone says it, I know that the majority of people are not like this but there are enough of them that it makes living here kind of uncomfortable!

Sorry, but this is just more of a vent. The woman really made me mad. I am sure many residents here are very nice. <sigh>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM

2,527 posts, read 7,999,343 times
Sorry you've had such a bad run in. I can understand the venting though. It's not confined to Mount Pleasant, I promise you. I've had the above happen to me while I was driving a patrol car. I kid you not, some people just love to complain because they've seriously got nothing else that makes them feel "important".

Just nod and toss them the biggest smile you can muster. I find it works wonders.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:28 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,016,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
Unfortunatly, I am starting to understand why Mt. Pleasant has the "snobby" reputation it does. I have been noticing it subtly on a daily basis but today takes the cake. I have never been so mad at someone. I accidentally made a wrong turn into a subdivision (Simmon's Point if you want to know!) and someone actually had the nerve to stop their car and reprimand me for trying to turn around to get out. How else was I supposed to get out?? Pretend I lived there and park in someone's driveway and then leave?!

After living here the past 2 months, I can see the snobbery (is that even a word?) more and more. I am so disappointed because I really like this area. And before someone says it, I know that the majority of people are not like this but there are enough of them that it makes living here kind of uncomfortable!

Sorry, but this is just more of a vent. The woman really made me mad. I am sure many residents here are very nice. <sigh>

I think that this confirms one of my observations that the beach is a nice place to visit, but not as appealing to live. Sure, at first it seems like paradise, but eventually the harsh reality of it all kicks in.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM

58 posts, read 234,124 times
I'm sorry & am completely with you on this one! Most of the incidents I have are in Whole Foods for some reason. I've seen a few pleasant people there, but it seems like most of the shoppers are pretentious and rude. A woman actually ran her cart into my son and I and gave me a look like I was in HER way! This is a problem for me especially b/c I'm a vegetarian and need to shop there more often than not. : (

Old 04-01-2008, 05:44 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,599,497 times
But, this can happen anywhere........
I had someone continue yelling at me.....for a good 10 min. because "THEY" hit their door into MY car.
This wasn't in Mt Pleasant, but in Surfside Beach.............
On and On to me........about........Their damage to my car, like it was MY fault.
LOL
Well, no matter what...........I love the seaside areas and always will. Poorly mannered people can be found just about anywhere. You will see that by the stories on CD.
Like the man said, best to just give a big, smile......and walk away.
( the cart thing, yes.........I've had that happen too.......LOL)

Old 04-01-2008, 06:14 PM

403 posts, read 932,492 times
I wish I had a comeback (even the big smile thing) but I was totally stunned. Of course, I spent the next hour thinking of all sorts of snappy comebacks! haha.

Molliemei, Pretentious is definitely how I would describe this area. I have also had your experience at Whole Foods! As much as I want to shop there, I hate the atmosphere and refuse to go there anymore.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:35 PM

548 posts, read 1,975,626 times
"Well bless your heart" says it all and conveys what you mean without being nasty ;-)

Old 04-01-2008, 09:03 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,666,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
Molliemei, Pretentious is definitely how I would describe this area. I have also had your experience at Whole Foods! As much as I want to shop there, I hate the atmosphere and refuse to go there anymore.
Add me to the unpleasant experiences at Whole Foods. Unfortunately there's a few things I purchase there that I can't get anywhere else. Now I don't waste any time running in and grabbing what I need and getting out of there.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:48 AM

890 posts, read 4,318,516 times
Wow, what gives with that Whole Foods? I stopped in that Whole Foods one time and I felt like I had landed on another planet. It was definitely strange. From the parking lot all the way to the check out I felt like I was having an out of body experience. LOL

Old 04-02-2008, 06:15 AM

73 posts, read 263,536 times
That's why it's good ol Publix for me. Harris Teeter is very nice also. I still can't bring myself to shop at a place called Piggly Wiggly. That must be the Yankee in me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area