Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 11:41 AM

19 posts, read 53,082 times

Advertisements

I have a strange question for you Charleston area experts. I plan on moving to Charleston area with my wife and 3 little kids. I want to bring my mother with us but she does not drive and does not want to leave the city area we live in now because she walks to the food, drug, etc stores.

Do the communities that I hear about (like Dunes West, Shadowmoss, etc) have stores within the community that a 70 year old lady would be able to walk to??

I like the idea of living in a community to have access to pools, trails, etc for the kids...if communities are a bad idea, please let me now that also.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM

88 posts, read 320,259 times
Hi, I'm not able to offer much advice since we're not there yet (relocating in June). But we also have young children (ages 5 and 3) and my mother will also be relocating! We have narrowed down our choices to Park West, Dunes West & Rivertowne. We really want our kids to go to Mt Laurel/Pinckney/Cario. These subdivisions also offer a lot of amenities that are great for the kids as well as my mom! And I believe that she will be able to buy a home in the same subdivision but in a different neighborhood/section since we have different needs/budget. But she can still take the kids to the pool without having to worry about guest passes or having to drive far to come over or vice versa. I know Park West had stores in the beginning of the subdivision, however, that being said, I do think a car would still be necessary because the place is HUGE... unless your mother would be living in one of the neighborhoods that is very close to the entrance... I forget how far away that would be to the shops. When are you moving? How old are your kids?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:06 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
No, I would not say that your mother would be able to walk to shop from any of these subdivisions. Unfortunately, in the Lowcountry, most of the residential areas are not in walking distance to any stores for a senior citizen. Now, if you lived in town in Summerville she could but then you wouldn't have the amenities. Sorry, wish I could help more.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,584 times
Look at Ion or Daniel Island,Both have shopping areas in the development

Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 PM

403 posts, read 935,784 times
I don't have much input but I wanted to say that I hope you find what you are looking for! I would love to bring my 64 y/o mom down here but I don't feel like this area is very "older people" friendly. Driving over the bridges alone would freak my mom.

Now when I lived in Florida...I could totally see her down there....

Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,595 times
Need more info first. Price?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirnick View Post
I have a strange question for you Charleston area experts. I plan on moving to Charleston area with my wife and 3 little kids. I want to bring my mother with us but she does not drive and does not want to leave the city area we live in now because she walks to the food, drug, etc stores.

Do the communities that I hear about (like Dunes West, Shadowmoss, etc) have stores within the community that a 70 year old lady would be able to walk to??

I like the idea of living in a community to have access to pools, trails, etc for the kids...if communities are a bad idea, please let me now that also.

Thanks for the help.
There are older neighborhoods in both Mount Pleasant and James Island and West Ashley where you probably could to find a home within walking distance to grocery stores and restaurants and shopping, but they might not also include also being within walking distance to a pool or playground. The Groves section of Mount Pleasant for instance or South Windermere or Old Windermere in West Ashley are all close to good shopping and restaurants.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:05 AM

19 posts, read 53,082 times
Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

My kids are 1, 3 and 5 and the house price range is about $375 - $400 range. If that helps anyone with more suggestions I will investiage any lead. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area