U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 3,988 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband and I are contemplating a move to Mt. P or Daniel Island in the next couple of years. We are drawn to the beauty of downtown, the beaches, history, weather, food.. I could go on. Coming from Boston, I know there will be some adjustment in terms of being used to people around me having similar liberal views, and I'm ok with that.

I know that it's a common opener to ask where you attend church. I'm a secular Jew and my husband is athiest/agnostic. How do people usually respond if you say, "oh, we don't attend church." I'm not looking to get into a debate or have to explain more when people (with good intentions!) invite us to their church. I'm happy to be friends with people that attend church regularly, but will we have trouble making friends because we do not go to church?
Rate this post positively

Old 09-14-2018, 09:05 AM

3,300 posts, read 3,464,362 times
They will probably say, "If you change your mind, or if you would ever like to talk about it, we'd be happy to have you join us."

Your ability to make friends will be based more on you and less on religious activity.

If you're one of those people with the Darwin fish eating the Christian fish, then you're probably starting off on the wrong foot as that's communicating that you're picking a fight.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:43 AM

1,936 posts, read 3,187,458 times
I moved here from MA 7 1/2 years ago and I have never been asked where I go to church. I don't go to church and I don't hear a lot of people talking about church.

I have found that there are a lot of liberal people in the Charleston area. There are a lot of northern transplants here, so maybe that is why. The biggest things I had to get used to was friendly people and all the sunny days since I was used to more overcast days.

Also, if you are interested, there is a fairly new Jewish center in Mount Pleasant. https://www.jewishchs.org/

Old 09-14-2018, 12:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,120,371 times
Been here since 2009 and have never been asked about church.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:36 PM

2,152 posts, read 1,640,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytomove123 View Post
Hi all! My husband and I are contemplating a move to Mt. P or Daniel Island in the next couple of years. We are drawn to the beauty of downtown, the beaches, history, weather, food.. I could go on. Coming from Boston, I know there will be some adjustment in terms of being used to people around me having similar liberal views, and I'm ok with that.

I know that it's a common opener to ask where you attend church. I'm a secular Jew and my husband is athiest/agnostic. How do people usually respond if you say, "oh, we don't attend church." I'm not looking to get into a debate or have to explain more when people (with good intentions!) invite us to their church. I'm happy to be friends with people that attend church regularly, but will we have trouble making friends because we do not go to church?

Don't worry about it. It's not old days anymore. In the 40 years I've lived in the South, nobody's EVER asked me about religion or church. There are synagogues BTW, and humanist groups too in the Lowcountry.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 PM

1,209 posts, read 787,452 times
The few people who have ever asked me about church in my 25 years of living here have gotten a reply from me consisting of, I only need one rule and that's the Golden Rule so I don't find the need to spend time in church.

I usually go on to say if people are getting fulfillment and it's helping them be a better person I'm all for it, and if people are being obsessive and it's causing them to be a worse person than they should stop going. If they persist like when Jehovah's Witnesses visit my house I go on to tell them that they need to fix their Bible and remove the parts about slavery and wives being property and the hundred other contradictions in it so they can present a consistent message.

I usually speak with the Jehovah's Witnesses at such lengths that they tell me they have to leave. It cracks me up. Last time they asked who would edit the Bible if we were to do that, and I said I'll do it for you. They didn't take me up on it

Old 09-14-2018, 02:37 PM

3,300 posts, read 3,464,362 times
And yet, simply saying "Thank you for the offer, I'll keep it in mind should I choose to attend." would probably have sufficed.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:38 PM

1,209 posts, read 787,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
And yet, simply saying "Thank you for the offer, I'll keep it in mind should I choose to attend." would probably have sufficed.
Yep usually that would be good enough

Old 09-14-2018, 02:46 PM

11,740 posts, read 9,975,410 times
If you are wanting religion and no guilt, The Seacoast Church has always been "Religion Lite" and works for many.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:13 AM

28 posts, read 13,411 times
I've been down here over two decades and never been asked. In the most cases , the inquiry is only meant well and not an attempt to coerce religious attendance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area