Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,072 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My family will be moving from Charlotte to Charleston in the coming months and my wife seems to be set on Mount Pleasant. I will be working in downtown Charleston and I am concerned about traffic during rushhour. I currently have about a 30 minute commute here in Charlotte and definitely don't want to increase that time. Does anyone know how long it would take to travel from one of the "newer" neighborhoods (Hamlin, Rivertowne, Park West, Brickyard, Planters Pointe) to downtown Charleston during rush hour?

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:58 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
Hamlin would be quicker (you could take Rifle Range to Coleman and avoid 17 altogether until you hit the bridge). All of those areas could put you at/under 30 minutes to downtown if you're leaving at about 7-7:30am. The only exceptions would be for those neighborhoods like Park West, Dunes West, Brickyard, Rivertowne on the Wando, etc. where your home is way back towards the end, and it takes you, and everyone else, 5-10 minutes to even get out of the neighborhood.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,072 times
DJShymansky,

Thank you for your reply. My wife really wants the "new" and I prefer the "old" but I think I will lose this battle. Even so, I don't want to spend my life in the car, but it sounds like if I can stay somewhat close to the neighborhood entrances at these places I should be ok.

Thanks again. Moving is so fun...

Old 04-09-2008, 10:40 PM

13 posts, read 42,186 times
Default Mt Pleasant

What price point are you thinking about? Hamlin Plant. is a good choice, with the new Hungryneck Extension they are planning now, will shoot you through to Bowman Rd..but If you can , check out I'On, that's a dream drive downtown. The prices are as low as $650k now. You could also get a not so old home along Mathis Ferry in some of those 70's and 80's charming neighborhoods (wakendaw, Snee farm, Heron lakes, etc) for a lot less or try the few down Rifle Range right near Ben Sawyer (Chelsea Park, Center Lakes, Hidden Lakes, Lakeshore) or Seaside Farms on the other side of the IOP connector.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:13 AM

80 posts, read 322,809 times
Default Mt. Pleasant et al

Excellent advice. I investigated and wrote reviews od the golf communities in Mt. Pleasant (R'towne, Snee Farm, Charleston National, Dunes West, even Wild Dunes). Real estate agent told me there are plans to expand Hwy. 17 but I am skeptical that will happen soon. Just eyeballing traffic coming out of Charleston around 4 - 5 pm implies the drive in would be a slog; I'd guess about 40 minutes from Rivertowne. All those shopping centers that have gone up quickly on the east side of 17 and all those communities on the west have just become too much for the road. I defer to locals, but Daniel Island and Coosaw Creek, both closer to the airport, might be alternatives if you can convince your wife.

Good luck.

Larry

Old 04-12-2008, 02:26 AM

4 posts, read 9,895 times
Default RE: Traffic on in Mt. Pleasant from 41 and up north.

Ive lived in Charleston for all of my 32 yrs and Grew up in Mt. Pleasant, while the old bridges would be CRAMMED with cars almost all day, and God help you at rush hour. However, all the years of the Bubba's saying "Man that Mt. Pleasant, wheeeew, thats for the birds that traffic, I live on James Island and man its cheap, its convenient, and the traffic is soooooo much better. Well, they should have kept their traps shut, because now I live on the Island and I see all the Yuppies FLYING across that brand new bridge over the cooper while Im pullin my hair out. Its a cycle, everyone gets theres, So I say, James Island, enjoy your little piece of hell youve created by bragging about how much greener your damn grass is...............MULE

Old 04-12-2008, 02:28 AM

4 posts, read 9,895 times
Default Commute Time RE:

I would give yourself an hour until you get a good feel for it HTH..MULE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area