Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 10:07 AM

108 posts, read 101,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Do you think airport and flights will be shut down all day Wednesday? When is wind and rain predicted to move into CHS?

Current forecast for the airport shows heavy rain all day Wednesday with winds picking up after 7pm.
Even if the airport is open, the airlines won't fly their last flights in to leave them overnight, so expect cancellations.

Due to the increase in hurricane intensity (and size) forecasts (even if it stays offshore like all but one model shows), the NWS site has moved up the max winds. Here in Mt. Pleasant, max sustained now estimated to be 48mph, max gusts 63mph on Thursday morning.

Additonal links:

Local NWS office tropical page

Local NWS forecast detail/discussion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 11:21 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
Just watched the latest update. The weather guy was saying the models are moving the storm closer to Charleston and due to the storm slowing in movement, it’s spin and timing, there may be mass flooding.

I’m concerned as we plan to go to Island of Palms in a couple of weeks and visit Charleston. I hope for the best and that you guys all make it through this with no damages.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:57 AM

10,090 posts, read 7,763,936 times
I wish we knew more about Dorian. I'm still uncertain whether to stay or leave and running out of time. Are most of you sticking around? Since I'm in Sville, I probably won't be as affected as those of you nearer the coast.

I have hotel reservations in Columbia but just wondering if I really need to go. I have local friends with generators and wine so I'm tempted to stay.

Dang it. I wish it would move or do something so we know more about it's path and/or strength.

My house is back up in the woods surrounded by big trees so that kind of scares me.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 09-02-2019 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 12:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Just watched the latest update. The weather guy was saying the models are moving the storm closer to Charleston and due to the storm slowing in movement, it’s spin and timing, there may be mass flooding.

I’m concerned as we plan to go to Island of Palms in a couple of weeks and visit Charleston. I hope for the best and that you guys all make it through this with no damages.
Absolutely, positively turn off the dang Weather Channel. If you listen closely you'll note that they preface these dramatic statements with "possibly" and "maybe". The survive on advertising revenue and these storms are where they cash in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyrRCx8-fZk

Old 09-02-2019, 12:08 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I wish we knew more about Dorian. I'm still uncertain whether to stay or leave and running out of time. Are most of you sticking around? Since I'm in Sville, I probably won't be as affected as those of you nearer the coast.

I have hotel reservations in Columbia but just wondering if I really need to go. I have local friends with generators and wine so I'm tempted to stay.

Dang it. I wish it would move or do something so we know more about it's path and/or strength.
It's just too early to fret about it. Make a list of everything you'll need to do so you'll be ready. Figure out how much time it will take to run that list and then forget about it until that deadline comes. I don't know how often they (NOAA) are updating these reports, but tomorrow morning should still be plenty of time to act and probably tomorrow evening. From Summerville, with I26 lane reversals, it shouldn't take you long to get to Columbia.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:02 PM

95 posts, read 76,678 times
Jim is coming.....

https://youtu.be/48r4IQTB3NE

Old 09-02-2019, 01:44 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,223 times
Just to let you guys know, 26 is hella backed up in the Columbia Metro. I’m talking bumper to bumper from the Lexington Newberry County line to about the Calhoun Orangeburg County line. A good 50-60 miles. So be prepared to be patient. And if you’re taking the westbound lanes, you get diverted around the entire city if you want to continue on 26. Meaning you have to drive almost the entire beltway. So keep those things in mind if you leave. I mean, it’s making my commute to work hell, but it’s “saving lives” I suppose. So I guess it’s worth it.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:31 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Absolutely, positively turn off the dang Weather Channel. If you listen closely you'll note that they preface these dramatic statements with "possibly" and "maybe". The survive on advertising revenue and these storms are where they cash in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyrRCx8-fZk
I was watching local NYC news. They are usually pretty accurate.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:39 PM

10,090 posts, read 7,763,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Just to let you guys know, 26 is hella backed up in the Columbia Metro. I’m talking bumper to bumper from the Lexington Newberry County line to about the Calhoun Orangeburg County line. A good 50-60 miles. So be prepared to be patient. And if you’re taking the westbound lanes, you get diverted around the entire city if you want to continue on 26. Meaning you have to drive almost the entire beltway. So keep those things in mind if you leave. I mean, it’s making my commute to work hell, but it’s “saving lives” I suppose. So I guess it’s worth it.
I was looking at the webcams of I-26. The lanes they reversed are almost dead with little traffic. When hopping on I-26, do you have a choice which to take or are there hwy patrolmen forcing you to take one or the other?

https://www.511sc.org/

Just click on a camera on I-26 and you can see how the traffic is.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:56 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I was looking at the webcams of I-26. The lanes they reversed are almost dead with little traffic. When hopping on I-26, do you have a choice which to take or are there hwy patrolmen forcing you to take one or the other?

https://www.511sc.org/

Just click on a camera on I-26 and you can see how the traffic is.
Lol, I live up here so I saw it all first hand. You get to choose I’m pretty sure. But if you get off at one of the 8 stops for gas, you have to get back on in the west bound lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area