Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 02:44 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,870 times

Advertisements

Our dog is 60 lbs. There are no weights limits on dogs at any of the Daniel Island apartment complexes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 08:27 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,945,168 times
Just out of my own curiosity --

How would you advise Kelly get from work in DI to West Ashley at 5pm each day ??

Are you suggesting she goes around on 526 ?? Almost every time I pass under that highway at drive time.....it's at a dead stop headed to WA. And around that merge with I26, there's an accident at least once a week. That'd be a no-fly zone in my book.

You're not sending her across the Ravenel Bridge and into WA thru 17, are you ?

Old 11-02-2019, 10:13 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post

How would you advise Kelly get from work in DI to West Ashley at 5pm each day ??

Are you suggesting she goes around on 526 ?? Almost every time I pass under that highway at drive time.....it's at a dead stop headed to WA. And around that merge with I26, there's an accident at least once a week. That'd be a no-fly zone in my book.

526 to 26 to 7 takes you right to the area mrpeatie and I are talking about and it would be against traffic for the most part.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:23 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,870 times
I travel 526 home from Daniel Island to Mt Pleasant every night, and I was just remarking to my husband last week that if I had to travel in the opposite direction (526 headed West toward North Charleston and West Ashley) I would shoot myself. It is an absolute parking lot at 5pm.

Heading East on 526 (toward Mt Pleasant) there is a bottle neck getting off the Daniel Island exit onto 526 and until you're over the Wando bridge but after that it's busy but at least moving. 526 West is completely jammed up for as far as you can see.

I would not recommend any town other than Mt Pleasant if someone works on Daniel Island and does not want to live on Daniel Island but wants a sane commute.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:16 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
I moved from Mt P out to the country south of Charleston so I drive through all this mess. I can tell you 100% you do NOT want to live anywhere near West Ashley and work on DI. Stick to DI, Mt P and that’s about it. When I have to make the commute, it’s always a traffic nightmare. Always. Because we have so many dang bottlenecks, one accident in the “right” place and you can be sitting for hours in traffic. Don’t do it. Listen to the others, DI or Mt P. The only thing you won’t get on your list is diversity but the South tends to have a lack of diversity anyway except for black/white.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:59 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
Well count me corrected then. I didn't think the traffic to inner West Ashley was that bad (avoiding Rts 61 and 17) but I guess 526 going to 26 must be worse than I thought. We can all agree that living and working on DI would be the surest way of avoiding aggravating traffic every day.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:59 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
I guess the OP needs to decide on which things are priorities. Southbel is right about the traffic and others are right about the complete lack of diversity on DI.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:43 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
The biggest thing about traffic are what hours you need to maintain. If you can work off hours- even by an hour- say 9-6 or 7-4, it can really change the dynamics of your drive close in. What you lose on 526 heading to West Ashley can also be lost if you have to travel 17 for any distance at all in Mt Pleasant. Once you cross 526 into North Charleston you can switch to surface roads to get to WA.

I actually recommend Park Circle or Hannahan get a look from most people for this reason.

Daniel Island is attractive but it is very much a love it or hate it type of community.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:25 AM

36 posts, read 28,264 times
If convenience wins out, DI is mins away from Park Circle in good traffic. And the two vibes could not be more different if you need a break from DI's uniformity.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:17 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post

One of the easiest commutes to and from D.I. would be from the Orange Grove/Sandhurst/Northbridge area of West Ashley. Anything along Cosgrove/Sam Rittenberg is a fairly simple commute to D.I., Downtown, or Mt Pleasant for that matter. West Ashley is a large area, there's a big difference in commute times from say Carolina Bay and Avondale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area