Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 06:28 AM

89 posts, read 223,067 times

Advertisements

https://lifebymcgeno.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 12:34 PM

If you read the blog I would love your reaction.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:52 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
It's fun to see people's perspectives when it comes to actually putting in the time in both areas. I have been to NYC on two occasions in my life and wouldn't be a good candidate to actually review the city as my time there was brief. I did spend 10 years in Houston, TX and even though I wouldn't go back if you paid me to, what I really miss about being in a large city is the endless supply of new restaurant to try, the endless supply of attractions for the kids, the fact that you were always finding new communities, new cultures, new pockets of art, etc that kept you busy on the weekends.

I loved driving to Little Vietnam for example, and going into a restaurant where there was no English menus or English speaking waitstaff and having no clue what I was ordering just to see how good it was. It's hard to find ethnic pockets in Charleston, and I miss that about Houston for sure.

Other than that, I thought your perspective on SC vs NY is a fairly common assessment of why New Yorkers are moving south. The ones that I help relocate here all pretty much say the same reasons: weather, taxes, good investment area, outdoor living...

Nice blog!

Old 05-26-2020, 07:59 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
I wouldn't disagree with your comparison and of course it's a "to each, his own" decision. For me, I could never live in a big city but I do appreciate what a big city has to offer culturally. Charleston is the best compromise on that count that I've ever come across. Small city feel with more cultural outlets than most cities it's size.

I would also compare air/water quality which would be another win for Charleston. I haven't been to NY in decades but I worked as a caretaker of an estate in Brewster, NY and used to go down to the city on occasion. I'd always have a headache by the end of the day, and I felt it was the air quality. Pretty much all big cities lose on that count of course.

Like wiseman, weather and taxes are two of the biggest motivators I hear from folks moving south. The whole "feel" of the south is different though. I don't know how you might incorporate that into your blog, but a more relaxed and friendly population is something many transplants remark on once they're here.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:43 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
The whole "feel" of the south is different though. I don't know how you might incorporate that into your blog, but a more relaxed and friendly population is something many transplants remark on once they're here.

This is true. Different pace, but slower doesn't mean mentally slower.

I've only visited NY. But honestly, I don't get the whole pizza thing. I've eaten at different NY pizza eateries that local's "swear by" (everyone seems to have their own local corner pie guy), but I've never been floored by the thought that this pie is defiantly better than what I can get at a local shop in Charleston.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:49 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
The article writer said they lived in a NYC suburb thus it would be quite different than in NYC itself. Also it sound like they live in a suburb of Charleston also.

Having lived in both places (plus Boston (born there), Chicago, and LA) when I was younger (say under 55), I loved being in the big cities. Tons of things to see, places to visit, places to eat, wide selection of people, etc. I loved it. As I aged I disliked the things that came with it. Traffic, crime, taxes, and people everywhere. So I relocated to SC (Mount Pleasant, and now Lexington). I gave up a lot of the things I liked (mainly food) but I also got away from things I did not like. Good trade on my part.

Were I brought up in Charleston (or Columbia), I would have gotten the hell out of there in my mid 20's. Go see the world, the bid cities, Broadway, Hollywood, the painted ladies, etc. When they get tiresome, as they will, return to home sweet home SC and enjoy a relaxing life.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:15 PM

Default Thanks.

Thanks for the replies, yes I do/did live in the suburbs of both. Westchester and Mt. Pleasant. The point was that, as someone said, Charleston is a great alternative to a metropolis. I appreciate your taking the time to read the blog and reply.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:04 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGeno View Post
The more rural the more, shall we say, inclined to a southern disposition.

Maybe you can explain to us what you mean by "inclined to a southern disposition"?

Old 05-29-2020, 03:50 AM

A firmer grip on traditional or local values.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:13 PM

51 posts, read 69,409 times
Weather - agree Charleston is better for me but my husband misses the snow.
Medical Care - Disagree, My husband has been dealing with cancer in both places and we have found the care here to be so much better, better attitudes, more pleasant offices and staff, and considerably shorter wait times. The coordination of care has been amazing. We count our blessings every day that we are here for medical care.
Culture - I don't think you can really compare. They are each very very different but both are amazing.
Housing costs and property taxes - Charleston hands down!
Outdoor Activities - depends on what you are looking for so I don't think you can compare. My husband misses all the winter outdoor activities that are in NY. SO while you may not boat all year round you can go skiing, sledding, ice skating, hiking in winter, making snow forts and snowmen, we camped in winter which is another experience you wouldn't get here.
Pizza/Bagels/Chinese - NY hands down
Restaurants - Can't compare both are amazing just different.
FYI born in Brooklyn, Raised on LI, happily living my retirement in SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area