Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 09:09 AM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times

Advertisements

Beginning October 1, 2021, your South Carolina driver's license or identification card must have a gold star to show it's a REAL ID in order to use it as your identification to board a domestic, commercial flight, enter a secure federal building, or visit a military installation*. Purchase yours today and avoid longer lines in the future.

REAL ID

It is my understanding that the Real ID is not required unless you need to do the above. You can still vote, drive, go to the post office and a few other things listed on the above website.

My mom already has her DMV appt coming up next week, and even though I don't think she needs a Real ID as she doesn't fly (hasn't in a long while) or go to military installations, she is afraid she will get to the DMV and they tell her it is required to get the Real ID (a couple of people told her that it is required but that contradicts what is on the DMV web page).

Since of course no one answers the phone at the DMV, I'd thought I'd see if anyone has been to the DMV and were you told it was required before you renewed you license?

If it is required that she get the Real ID, what is the Name Change requirement? She has only changed her name when she got married years ago. Does she need to dig up her marriage license?

I told mom that Real ID isn't required and no need for her to get it. But if by some crazy wild chance she needed to fly, then she could go to the DMV and get it prior to her flight. There is probably a 1% chance she is going to need to fly.

Thanks in advance for any help with this. I just need to know if she needs to take all the documents with her next week when she goes to the DMV so that she can get the required Real ID if it is indeed mandatory.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 06-25-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 09:23 AM

727 posts, read 715,738 times
Is she not eligible to get it online? That's how I did mine.
I guess she doesn't have a passport?

Old 06-25-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
Is she not eligible to get it online? That's how I did mine.
I guess she doesn't have a passport?
No passport. She renewed her license by mail last time and she's not allowed to do it twice is a row so she's required to go to the DMV this time. The DMV requires an appt due to the virus.

We just want to know if the Real ID is mandatory since we're getting conflicting info on this. I say go with what the website says. All it would take is a simple call to the DMV but they never answer the phone. Why they even have a phone number is beyond me.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:21 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
From your Real ID link above:

It is optional to change to a REAL ID

If you have a valid US Passport, military ID, or another federal identification that’s accepted to pass airport security, you may use this instead of changing your SC license or ID to a REAL ID. If you do not think you have a need to fly, enter a federal building, or visit a military installation* you do not need a REAL ID. However, if you suddenly need to fly on or after October 1, 2021 and you do not have a valid US Passport, military ID, or another federally approved identification, you will need a REAL ID in order to board a domestic or commercial flight.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:31 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
By the way, you prompted me to do this. It took about 5 minutes online to complete the process.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:44 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
I needed to renew my license in person this time. I had to make an appointment online. Few times were available so it was about 6 wks in advance of this month june. There was no need to get real ID. But i did despite the inconvenience. If you need to go to court you will need one. You never know. Or to fly for a critical medical reason.

And don’t think you can just get one if you need it. The DMV will be jam packed next year. You would need to go in and get a new photo. The new license takes about 10 days to arrive by mail. Better to get one when you have time.

True it’s harder for women because of name changes. Sort of insulting to be on medicare and have to get your actual hospital birth record, name change docs, soc sec number proof, etc. as if you might be trying to cheat somebody after living lawfully for 6 or more decades.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:54 AM

12,898 posts, read 18,751,931 times
When I googled what I needed, it had something about marriage and original birth certificate, etc. That part didn’t apply to me. Once I had the needed documents in hand, I was in the DMV on Orleans Road about 20 minutes. That was probably six plus months ago.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I needed to renew my license in person this time. I had to make an appointment online. Few times were available so it was about 6 wks in advance of this month june. There was no need to get real ID. But i did despite the inconvenience. If you need to go to court you will need one. You never know. Or to fly for a critical medical reason.

And don’t think you can just get one if you need it. The DMV will be jam packed next year. You would need to go in and get a new photo. The new license takes about 10 days to arrive by mail. Better to get one when you have time.

True it’s harder for women because of name changes. Sort of insulting to be on medicare and have to get your actual hospital birth record, name change docs, soc sec number proof, etc. as if you might be trying to cheat somebody after living lawfully for 6 or more decades.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yep, mom had to make an appt also. She was able to get it pretty quickly. There were a lot of open slots. How was the service with having an appt?

According to their website these are some reasons below that you do NOT need to get Real ID. It seems you can still get the medical emergency treatment and ability to go to court with just the basic driver's license like she has. I think I'll just tell her if she wants to go ahead and get it, then she can look for the documents and take with her but it's not mandatory.

You do not need a REAL ID driver's license or identification card to do any of the following:
  • Drive
  • Vote
  • Apply for or receive federal benefits for which you’re entitled (Veterans Affairs, Social Security Administration, etc.)
  • Enter a federal facility that does not require an ID (i.e. a post office)
  • Access a hospital or receive life-saving services
  • Participate in law enforcement proceedings or investigations (serve on a federal jury, testify in federal court, etc.)

Old 06-25-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
When I googled what I needed, it had something about marriage and original birth certificate, etc. That part didn’t apply to me. Once I had the needed documents in hand, I was in the DMV on Orleans Road about 20 minutes. That was probably six plus months ago.
Thanks. I'll tell her if she wants to get it, she'll need to take her birth certificate, bill that is under 90 days old with her name on it, social security card, marriage license and current driver's license and that should be enough.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 06-25-2020 at 11:17 AM..

Old 06-25-2020, 11:08 AM

What are they charging to upgrade to Real ID?

Nevermind, I googled and found that it cost 25.00.

What's the secret to doing away with so many spaces in between paragraphs? Is there an easy fix in Firefox?

Last edited by diddlydudette; 06-25-2020 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area