Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2020, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 908 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

I am seeking advice on a possible move to the Charleston area. My husband and I have 3 boys (ages 6, 9 and 12) so great schools are of high importance. We are currently in South Florida and while we adore the coastal aspects of FL, we would like to move somewhere with seasons and good ol' southern charm. I have been researching places to relocate to and am consistently drawn to the prospect of Mt. Pleasant. We are planning a visit to the area in October/November but would love any advice on where to focus our search on.

1. Budget - $800-900,000
2. House/Condo/Townhome? house (would prefer a large lot with room for a pool but know this may be a stretch)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - work from home/my husband runs his own company so may seek out office space but he's able to decide where that may be so commute shouldn't be an issue
4. Children(public school vs. private) - would prefer public, but wouldn't be completely opposed to private if it worked out budget-wise
5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural) - maybe a mix of all 3! Would love to have an area where there are cool restaurants and shops that aren't all big box/chains - does that exist?
6. Amenities preferred or must-haves - access to water for boys to fish/kayak; also love the older trees that are so prevalent in SC so while I'm inititally drawn to the amenities and newness of Carolina Park, I wish that there appeared to be more mature trees (obviously not a major deal breaker for the right spot, but that's just my initial takeaway)
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood - full of families

I would love any advice! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 11:50 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB0501 View Post
Hello there!

I am seeking advice on a possible move to the Charleston area. My husband and I have 3 boys (ages 6, 9 and 12) so great schools are of high importance. We are currently in South Florida and while we adore the coastal aspects of FL, we would like to move somewhere with seasons and good ol' southern charm. I have been researching places to relocate to and am consistently drawn to the prospect of Mt. Pleasant. We are planning a visit to the area in October/November but would love any advice on where to focus our search on.

1. Budget - $800-900,000
2. House/Condo/Townhome? house (would prefer a large lot with room for a pool but know this may be a stretch)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - work from home/my husband runs his own company so may seek out office space but he's able to decide where that may be so commute shouldn't be an issue
4. Children(public school vs. private) - would prefer public, but wouldn't be completely opposed to private if it worked out budget-wise
5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural) - maybe a mix of all 3! Would love to have an area where there are cool restaurants and shops that aren't all big box/chains - does that exist?
6. Amenities preferred or must-haves - access to water for boys to fish/kayak; also love the older trees that are so prevalent in SC so while I'm inititally drawn to the amenities and newness of Carolina Park, I wish that there appeared to be more mature trees (obviously not a major deal breaker for the right spot, but that's just my initial takeaway)

I would look into Old Village, in older Mt Pleasant. Also, for larger lots, take a look at Hamlin Plantation, Snee Farm, Dunes West, Brickyard Plantation, Rivertowne CC, Darrell Creek, Rice Planters Pointe, Hobcaw Creek Plantation, Belle Hall, and Molasses Creek
Beresford Creek Landing, which is across the river from Mt Pleasant is an amazing community with larger lots, water access, mature trees, and a quiet gated feel. Average price in Beresford Creek is around 980k so you'd have to search for a deal.

Daniel Island would also be a consideration I would imagine. Everything you want on Daniel Island as well.

If you didn't mind being a bit further out, I wouldn't rule out McClellanville and Awendaw as possibilities for that quiet, water front living, though most of those areas won't go to Mt Pleasant schools.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:22 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I would add Park West. Close (walking/biking) to all level schools. Many different neighborhoods and price ranges within Park West. Some have their own amenities and others use the Park West amenities.

I lived in Rivertowne and had I had kids, for their sake I would have preferred Park West over Rivertowne.

All the neighborhoods mentioned are good ones. I am leery of incomplete developments as they could change fast, not deliver what they promised, dues/assessments might not cover things requiring a drastic increase, and often resales are tougher when there is still new construction going on in the neighborhood.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:49 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Hello there!

1. Budget - $800-900,000

You're practically describing Mt Pleasant. Wiseman's list of likely neighborhoods is a good one and there are even more that would probably fit the bill. I just had clients buy in Hidden Cove and while they don't have water access and their own dock, they are only 600' from the community's private deepwater dock. They love it there already. They also have 3 boys but much younger. (they had twins the night before they closed )
I think you should be able to find what you want in your price range.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 3,756 times
Quote:
Hello there!

1. Budget - $800-900,000

Good Morning. Charleston is lovely city that is rich in culture and very family friendly. I grew up in this city and I cannot imagine calling any other city home. I do think you would love it here.

Considering your questions:

Budget: With the budget stated you could get a nice home in Mt. Pleasant. Mt. Pleasant is comprised of both older existing homes and new construction homes. Older existing homes will have larger lots. You should be able to find something you like that is fitting your needs in your price point. You can also find new construction in your price point and you may find a lot large enough for a pool. It will take a bit of looking for a decent lot size with new construction but doable.

Mount Pleasant is very coastal and it is full of local charm. You will find many unique shops and restaurants owned and operated by Charleston residents. Culinary is a huge industry here. If you venture downtown you will find some of the highest rated restraunts in the South East.

There are many neighborhoods with built in lakes in Mt. Pleasant. Hidden Lakes is an older neighborhood with canals that run behind most of the homes. These canals are channeled into a large lake. Hidden Lakes in located just off of the Isle of Palms Connector that takes you directly to the beach. It is a 5 minute drive. This is just one potential neighborhood that would appeal to you.

Other areas of considerations for you may include Daniel Island and Cainhoy. Or even James Island. There are many possibilities here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area