Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 4,188 times

Advertisements

Yes, we are another family to Charleston! We are excited but nervous, especially since we aren’t familiar with the area. I have an idea on where we would like to move, but I am still conflicted since most of my research leads me to results that are dependent upon living in Charleston for longer than 1 year. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Background information: My husband will begin his medical fellowship at MUSC His training only lasts 1 year (July 2020-July 2121). He will be on call several nights of the month so we must live within 30 min of the hospital. (He will be commuting during odd hours).

We have 2 kids and a lab. Our oldest will be in kindergarten while we are there. So schools are (semi) important as well. It’s actually much less the school distract as a whole I’m concerned about, and much more the individual school. We will only be there for 1 year, and my child will be in Kindergarten, so I’m not basing our decision on how good the high schools are.

I’m leaning towards James Island and Mount Pleasant, specially the Old Village in MP. We’ve always lived way out in the suburbs but now we want to take advantage of living somewhere closer to “town.” These 2 places would provide a much shorter commute than what my husband is doing now. We visited the area in July and fell in love with the old village. We couldn’t afford it if it were any longer than a year but we are willing to fork over some of our savings to do something we’ve never done. It’s just one year and we want to take advantage of this opportunity! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 06:26 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,608,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleygri View Post
Yes, we are another family to Charleston! We are excited but nervous, especially since we aren’t familiar with the area. I have an idea on where we would like to move, but I am still conflicted since most of my research leads me to results that are dependent upon living in Charleston for longer than 1 year. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Background information: My husband will begin his medical fellowship at MUSC His training only lasts 1 year (July 2020-July 2121). He will be on call several nights of the month so we must live within 30 min of the hospital. (He will be commuting during odd hours).

We have 2 kids and a lab. Our oldest will be in kindergarten while we are there. So schools are (semi) important as well. It’s actually much less the school distract as a whole I’m concerned about, and much more the individual school. We will only be there for 1 year, and my child will be in Kindergarten, so I’m not basing our decision on how good the high schools are.

I’m leaning towards James Island and Mount Pleasant, specially the Old Village in MP. We’ve always lived way out in the suburbs but now we want to take advantage of living somewhere closer to “town.” These 2 places would provide a much shorter commute than what my husband is doing now. We visited the area in July and fell in love with the old village. We couldn’t afford it if it were any longer than a year but we are willing to fork over some of our savings to do something we’ve never done. It’s just one year and we want to take advantage of this opportunity! Thanks so much!
Not sure what the question is in your post but it sounds like you'll be wanting to rent a house for a year starting in June(?) and you will probably want 3 bedrooms. What kind of budget are you working with and does it need to be a house or would an apt or townhouse do?

There are several Facebook pages for Charleston rentals that you can monitor and also post requests for what you're looking for. There's also individual pages for various property managers who post their listings on their own sites. Zillow and similar sites will also have listings. The good news is that you're starting plenty early and should be able to find something. If Old Village turns out to be too expensive, close in West Ashley or James Island would be good choices.

Edit: I should add that the Westside would also be a good place to look. You can't get more convenient to MUSC and much of it is a nice area. Wagener Terrace, Longborough, Hampton Park are some of the neighborhoods to look in there.

Last edited by LocalHero; 12-31-2020 at 06:40 AM..

Old 12-31-2020, 07:18 AM

Yes I’m sorry I realized I didn’t leave a question! I guess my brain is so scattered with everything I’ve looked at. My specific question is if the Old Village accepts long term rentals, or is the housing market just really low on demand right now? There’s hardly any houses for rent. My next question is do we need to hire a leasing agent? This is our first time renting and I’m not sure what the logical steps are, and how far out to hire someone. We live 2 plane rides away so I can’t easily hop over to tour houses when they become available.
Our budget is anywhere up to $3,000. Would love for it to be cheaper, but that’s the max we would go. And a 2 bedroom is fine if the location is right. Thanks so much!
Edit: a house is preferred but we are open to other types of housing as well. Basically our first priority is location to go along with a good school district. And will sacrifice on bedrooms, etc. for a year.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:56 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,608,347 times
Quote:
Yes I’m sorry I realized I didn’t leave a question! I guess my brain is so scattered with everything I’ve looked at. My specific question is if the Old Village accepts long term rentals, or is the housing market just really low on demand right now? There’s hardly any houses for rent. My next question is do we need to hire a leasing agent? This is our first time renting and I’m not sure what the logical steps are, and how far out to hire someone. We live 2 plane rides away so I can’t easily hop over to tour houses when they become available.
Our budget is anywhere up to $3,000. Would love for it to be cheaper, but that’s the max we would go. And a 2 bedroom is fine if the location is right. Thanks so much!
Edit: a house is preferred but we are open to other types of housing as well. Basically our first priority is location to go along with a good school district. And will sacrifice on bedrooms, etc. for a year.
With a $3k budget you should be able to afford something you will like. Finding it is another matter but this is the time of year for the least number of rental listings. There should be many more come spring.

You shouldn't need a leasing agent though it might help. Some rental agencies will not rent to someone who hasn't seen the property first hand. Try FB and the other options I mentioned. I know there's a FB group called "Lowcountry Pet Friendly Rentals" that might have some leads.

As a Realtor, I'm not allowed to comment on schools but you can take a look at Greatschools.org to get an idea of which schools might meet your needs.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:02 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,577,018 times
Have you looked at Westedge Apartments? It's walking distance to MUSC, and the smaller 2 BR units are under your budget. They allow dogs, with some restrictions.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:19 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,995,509 times
Quote:
This time of year is a good time to search short term rental sites like vrbo.com and airbnb. Find a home that's in Old Village, contact the owner/property manager and offer them 3k per month for a long term rental agreement. This time of year, in our own short term rental business, we will gladly take long term renters until the season kicks back in, which is typically around April.

29464 Mount Pleasant is all fairly close to Old Village, and I wouldn't leave out other communities in and around Old Village as options. It's a smaller zip code and almost all of it is an easy commute to other parts of Charleston.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
With a $3k budget you should be able to afford something you will like. Finding it is another matter but this is the time of year for the least number of rental listings. There should be many more come spring.

You shouldn't need a leasing agent though it might help. Some rental agencies will not rent to someone who hasn't seen the property first hand. Try FB and the other options I mentioned. I know there's a FB group called "Lowcountry Pet Friendly Rentals" that might have some leads.

As a Realtor, I'm not allowed to comment on schools but you can take a look at Greatschools.org to get an idea of which schools might meet your needs.
This is very helpful. Thank you! I just joined several groups on Facebook. Our problem is if we find something, we can’t immediately hop on a plane to look. With limited time off for my husbands residency, it’s just not feasible. We are planning to take 1 trip in the spring. Any suggestions on when to go? If we move in June, is April too late? Again, first time renter here. I wouldn’t be as concerned as I am I weren’t having to keep school districts in mind too. I realize it’s kindergarten but after dealing with what we have this past school year, I want him have a good experience.

Of course then there’s preschools to consider for my little one but I won’t cross that bridge yet. (Though I’m well aware there probably won’t be openings by the time we figure out where we will be.)

Appreciate it!

Old 01-01-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
This time of year is a good time to search short term rental sites like vrbo.com and airbnb. Find a home that's in Old Village, contact the owner/property manager and offer them 3k per month for a long term rental agreement. This time of year, in our own short term rental business, we will gladly take long term renters until the season kicks back in, which is typically around April.

29464 Mount Pleasant is all fairly close to Old Village, and I wouldn't leave out other communities in and around Old Village as options. It's a smaller zip code and almost all of it is an easy commute to other parts of Charleston.
Yeah we haven’t ruled out 29464 either. Just anywhere in Mt Pleasant closer to downtown. Is there one particular elementary school to avoid in either MP or James Island? That would help narrow things down a bit. It’s very likely we might have to decide on a home/condo without seeing it in person so knowing if there’s one to avoid would help.

That’s a great idea about emailing the short term rental places. I thought old village didn’t accept short term rentals? I can look around other places though. Thanks so much!

Old 01-02-2021, 11:32 AM

14,255 posts, read 14,773,589 times
Old Village is a section of MTP, not a development. While not a lot of rentals there, there is no prohibition on such that I am aware of.

All the schools in MTP are considered the best. Also MTP is convenient to MUSC. I would suggest you look closely at MTP.

When visiting it would be easy to look at apartments in MTP over the course of one day and end up renting one. Most would be within 23-30 minutes of any other one. You could not go wrong with any of the complexes off of Rte 17.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:13 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,710,564 times
There are a significant number of sources for searching school ratings in MtP. MtP does have good schools, but not all are equal.

Most of the apartment complexes along US 17 are not going to be anywhere near equivalent to anything in Old Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area