U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 09:04 PM

2,271 posts, read 3,032,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
FYI, your home state of Massachusetts’s is doing worse than SC. https://covidactnow.org/?s=1508461
This isn’t an SC problem, it’s all over, including Europe.
The highest death rate is among 70 and and up so it makes sense to vaccinate those at most risk. The younger population is the most careless with precautions but also tend to suffer less complications. For them it’s basically a glorified flu. If the goal is to prevent deaths and crowded hospitals, and the most affected are vaccinated, who cares how careless the least affected are.

Again McMaster is doing great at this so far. If 40% of people who got a first crack at it don’t want it, then they’re on their own and we move on to those that do. I hear the appointments for 70+ are already booked up for the vaccine we have available which meets Fauci’s advice to roll vaccines out to as many people as quickly as possible. We were already ahead of most of the rest of the country in vaccine distribution.
Not sure where you're getting your info on vaccine administration. Here's the CDC's website by state. SC is only ahead of Alabama and Georgia and not by much. So 3rd worst in the country.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Other states have brought in the National Guard to help. Instead, McMaster said today that he wants all hospitals to stop elective procedures so that health care providers - who need to be caring for patients in already overwhelmed hospitals - can administer the vaccine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 01:06 AM

9,414 posts, read 4,307,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Not sure where you're getting your info on vaccine administration. Here's the CDC's website by state. SC is only ahead of Alabama and Georgia and not by much. So 3rd worst in the country.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Other states have brought in the National Guard to help. Instead, McMaster said today that he wants all hospitals to stop elective procedures so that health care providers - who need to be caring for patients in already overwhelmed hospitals - can administer the vaccine.
My information is from 3 days ago. I already predicted that our time is coming and there’s nothing we can do about it. Every state has had their turn at the top of the high case load list regardless of policy. It’s fun to pretend we have control right now but we don’t until we get herd immunity. If you notice, the Dakotas are now one of the lowest infected states after months of being the worst. It’s not because they changed their mask policy.

Bringing in the National Guard is a political lever that governors pull when they don’t know what else to do. Otherwise it’s for show. Do you think Guardsmen are all trained in giving shots? How do you give more shots of there if there are no shots to give?
Our problem with not giving out vaccines fast enough was last week, which we did better than average nationally. Our problem now is the next phase is so big that appointments far exceed vaccine supply. You didn’t expect a project of this size to go smoothly did you? The states you envy aren’t doing any better than we are.

All the states are trying all they can with a mix of restrictions, mandates, vaccine distribution, etc, and everyone of them are running into a mixed bag of results along the way. This is everybody’s first pandemic. Be patient, wear your mask, stay 6 feet from people and your turn will come.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:47 AM

48 posts, read 30,880 times
Default Maybe but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You like facts but seem to only see them in a negative context. The fact is our vaccination rate is higher than the US average so far. This is something you either didn’t know or left out because you’re predisposed with the notion this state does everything wrong.

Everybody should be wearing a mask, but that’s not why Covid cases are skyrocketing all over the country as even the states with mask mandates have shown they too are just as infected with Covid. The reasons people are spreading Covid isn’t because they’re going maskless to large events and movie theaters, but because they’re seeing friends and family at their homes where they’re not going to wear a mask. People are either ignorant to how large their social circle really is, or choose to prioritize socialization and take risk. People I know who are the most hardcore mask wearing Covid believers still go to small holiday gatherings and small neighborhood cookouts maskless thinking everybody in the group is doing the same, but who in turn think everybody in their group is doing the same. I don’t know how many people I’ve met who say “we keep to ourselves and wear mask” then they have their relative over from some other state over the next day. People are not going to shelter in place for a year, and they’re not going to wear a mask to their friend’s house. So you’re going to see a spike. I’ve been watching the Covid maps and I knew it was headed this way. We were at within the bottom 5 states on the list for months (which I’m sure you didn’t notice because SC does everything wrong) while each state elsewhere was seeing spikes. First it was the Dakotas, then Midwest, then Great Lakes states, then out west, then California, and now it’s made it’s way across the South. Looking at it by county, it’s starting in the Upstate but will start working its way to the coast. Right now Charleston County is in better shape than most of the state, but our turn is coming. It’s how pandemics work, as one part of the population is hit hard the virus runs out of victims and moves on to those who haven’t been infected yet till it’s out of victims or everyone is either naturally immune or has been vaccinated. If you’re keeping your distance and wearing a mask until it’s your turn to be vaccinated then hopefully it will pass you by and far away, but Pandora’s box has already been opened otherwise. Nobody can change human behavior and there’s a lot of people out there. If you have any better ideas on reining folks in, I’m sure California’s government would sure like to hear them first as they have admitted they’re running out of levers to pull to control their population.

If I was running a state I would vaccinate those who have never been exposed to Covid first and get the people who already had Covid later to get to herd immunity faster.

Just my 2 cents, worth nothing but a couple of points worth considering:
Yes, I agree people in small crowds is spreading it. But large masses of maskless persons is also spreading COVID. These are all bad ideas. Minimizing this was a fatal mistake for many people.

In North Jersey/New York many people are getting COVID 2x with round 2 being worse round 1.

Hence, I think we have more facts to consider.... the variants are serious and so..... vaccinations or not, masks and washing are likely a lifestyle for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area