U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2021, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
10,397 posts, read 14,992,819 times
Reputation: 2329

Advertisements

Relative to a few other counties, it is no longer accurate to say Charleston County is the state’s hotbed for COVID-19, as it was when the thread stating so was created. While the numbers are still too high here as everywhere, and while things could change, rather than reactivate the thread about this area being the state’s hotbed, any further statistics or news about COVID-19 in this county may be better shared or discussed in this thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2021, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant
2,271 posts, read 3,032,587 times
Reputation: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Relative to a few other counties, it is no longer accurate to say Charleston County is the state’s hotbed for COVID-19, as it was when the thread stating so was created. While the numbers are still too high here as everywhere, and while things could change, rather than reactivate the thread about this area being the state’s hotbed, any further statistics or news about COVID-19 in this county may be better shared or discussed in this thread.
Charleston County is not in great shape.

Cases in Charleston County are up 51% in the last 14 days, and those numbers do not take into account the Christmas Holiday nor the New Year's Holiday. In Greenville county which has a lot of cases, the 14-day increase is 45%, Florence County is up 40%, Pickens County is up 44%

Hospital occupancy in Charleston County is currently at 82.7%, which is the number we should all be concerned about because it affects not just COVID patients. With Horry County hospital occupany at 94.9% and Georgetown at 100%, presumably some of the overflow will come to Charleston County bumping up our occupancy.

At 58% mask compliance statewide (people do not stay within their counties, so you have to look at the state number), since it is clear that a certain segment of the population (conspiracy theorists, people who think their rights are being violated, or just flat out don't want to) are refusing to wear a mask, we need to get the vaccine distributed quickly to those that want it.

That is not happening, as DHEC stated in their 1/4 Teleseries video - https://youtu.be/ILyxZDZqntY - that the providers at the local hospitals who are the only people authorized to give the vaccine (not counting the LTC facility vaccinations which are being run via a Federal partnership with CVS and Walgreens) are overwhelmed trying to care for patients because of the surge in cases and are unable to keep up with the administration of the vaccine.

Other states have called in the National Guard to assist, but for whatever reason SC has not chosen that option. Instead, McMaster imposed a deadline for all 1a people to get vaccinated by 1//15 or they would go to the back of the line, when it's public knowledge people in this group have been unable to get appts.

This surge will only increase with the holiday infections, and the new mutation of the virus that is 70% more contagious.

We have a long way to go before we're in good shape. Far from a pretty situation....

Last edited by macalan; 01-06-2021 at 09:05 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2021, 12:40 AM
 
9,414 posts, read 4,307,373 times
Reputation: 6576
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Charleston County is not in great shape.

Cases in Charleston County are up 51% in the last 14 days, and those numbers do not take into account the Christmas Holiday nor the New Year's Holiday. In Greenville county which has a lot of cases, the 14-day increase is 45%, Florence County is up 40%, Pickens County is up 44%

Hospital occupancy in Charleston County is currently at 82.7%, which is the number we should all be concerned about because it affects not just COVID patients. With Horry County hospital occupany at 94.9% and Georgetown at 100%, presumably some of the overflow will come to Charleston County bumping up our occupancy.

At 58% mask compliance statewide (people do not stay within their counties, so you have to look at the state number), since it is clear that a certain segment of the population (conspiracy theorists, people who think their rights are being violated, or just flat out don't want to) are refusing to wear a mask, we need to get the vaccine distributed quickly to those that want it.

That is not happening, as DHEC stated in their 1/4 Teleseries video - https://youtu.be/ILyxZDZqntY - that the providers at the local hospitals who are the only people authorized to give the vaccine (not counting the LTC facility vaccinations which are being run via a Federal partnership with CVS and Walgreens) are overwhelmed trying to care for patients because of the surge in cases and are unable to keep up with the administration of the vaccine.

Other states have called in the National Guard to assist, but for whatever reason SC has not chosen that option. Instead, McMaster imposed a deadline for all 1a people to get vaccinated by 1//15 or they would go to the back of the line, when it's public knowledge people in this group have been unable to get appts.

This surge will only increase with the holiday infections, and the new mutation of the virus that is 70% more contagious.

We have a long way to go before we're in good shape. Far from a pretty situation....
Except SC is above national average for vaccine distribution https://scdhec.gov/news-releases/sou...ceived-dr-bell
I know you hate this state but give it a rest. It’s not as bad as you think it is. If you haven’t been following the big picture your home state hasn’t exactly been a Covid free utopia. Even California with it’s strict mandates has had the highest Covid rates in the country for over a month. The problem is that anybody with any ounce of a social life isn’t sheltering in place for a year. It’s human nature.

I’m grateful to McMaster for issuing the 1/15 deadline for phase 1a. Every healthcare worker I know has gotten the shot and got it within the past 2 weeks. Front line workers deserve first access, but the ultimate goal is to vaccinate as many people as quickly as possible. Those on the fence can stop holding up the line.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2021, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant
2,271 posts, read 3,032,587 times
Reputation: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Except SC is above national average for vaccine distribution https://scdhec.gov/news-releases/sou...ceived-dr-bell
I know you hate this state but give it a rest. It’s not as bad as you think it is. If you haven’t been following the big picture your home state hasn’t exactly been a Covid free utopia. Even California with it’s strict mandates has had the highest Covid rates in the country for over a month. The problem is that anybody with any ounce of a social life isn’t sheltering in place for a year. It’s human nature.

I’m grateful to McMaster for issuing the 1/15 deadline for phase 1a. Every healthcare worker I know has gotten the shot and got it within the past 2 weeks. Front line workers deserve first access, but the ultimate goal is to vaccinate as many people as quickly as possible. Those on the fence can stop holding up the line.
I don't hate this state so please don't put words in my mouth. I am citing facts only. And the fact is that SC is in the top 12 right now in the US for rise in COVID cases.

No one said anything about sheltering in place for a year - again, not sure where that's coming from.

It's prudent to follow the guidelines put forth by both the CDC and SC DHEC to relieve the stress on our health care providers. We do that by wearing masks and social distancing. SC has not been good about that either.

It is bad -even in Charleston County - and will get worse since we haven't seen the holiday effect yet. I had a doctor appt. yesterday and even he expressed concern about the high numbers. As has SC DHEC. It doesn't do any good to pretend it's not what it is. A 51% rise in cases in 2 weeks in Charleston County is not good.

So yes, we could all do a little better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2021, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
6,545 posts, read 4,558,781 times
Reputation: 5248
In my own personal world, I would say that more people now than since this virus began actually are infected with it right now. Seems like everyone I know has it. Still dodging the bullet personally, which amazes me in my line of work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2021, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
10,397 posts, read 14,992,819 times
Reputation: 2329
My reason for creating this thread was because the other one I created, the that says Charleston County is the state’s COVID hotbed, meaning the place with the most COVID cases in the state, isn’t true now. We can go back to that thread if it becomes true again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2021, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
10,397 posts, read 14,992,819 times
Reputation: 2329
Charleston County and the metro were quickly headed down this path before mask ordinances were enacted here. While we still have too many cases, and while we could again become a hotspot compared to other metros, this news gives us reason to believe we have the means to prevent the virus from getting the best of us. Masks do work. The areas with no mask ordinances are definitely more at risk of blowing up with COVID-19 on an especially catastrophic level. (One death is too many.)

https://www.postandcourier.com/green...25a1ee80a.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2021, 11:02 PM
 
9,414 posts, read 4,307,373 times
Reputation: 6576
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I don't hate this state so please don't put words in my mouth. I am citing facts only. And the fact is that SC is in the top 12 right now in the US for rise in COVID cases.

No one said anything about sheltering in place for a year - again, not sure where that's coming from.

It's prudent to follow the guidelines put forth by both the CDC and SC DHEC to relieve the stress on our health care providers. We do that by wearing masks and social distancing. SC has not been good about that either.

It is bad -even in Charleston County - and will get worse since we haven't seen the holiday effect yet. I had a doctor appt. yesterday and even he expressed concern about the high numbers. As has SC DHEC. It doesn't do any good to pretend it's not what it is. A 51% rise in cases in 2 weeks in Charleston County is not good.

So yes, we could all do a little better.
You like facts but seem to only see them in a negative context. The fact is our vaccination rate is higher than the US average so far. This is something you either didn’t know or left out because you’re predisposed with the notion this state does everything wrong.

Everybody should be wearing a mask, but that’s not why Covid cases are skyrocketing all over the country as even the states with mask mandates have shown they too are just as infected with Covid. The reasons people are spreading Covid isn’t because they’re going maskless to large events and movie theaters, but because they’re seeing friends and family at their homes where they’re not going to wear a mask. People are either ignorant to how large their social circle really is, or choose to prioritize socialization and take risk. People I know who are the most hardcore mask wearing Covid believers still go to small holiday gatherings and small neighborhood cookouts maskless thinking everybody in the group is doing the same, but who in turn think everybody in their group is doing the same. I don’t know how many people I’ve met who say “we keep to ourselves and wear mask” then they have their relative over from some other state over the next day. People are not going to shelter in place for a year, and they’re not going to wear a mask to their friend’s house. So you’re going to see a spike. I’ve been watching the Covid maps and I knew it was headed this way. We were at within the bottom 5 states on the list for months (which I’m sure you didn’t notice because SC does everything wrong) while each state elsewhere was seeing spikes. First it was the Dakotas, then Midwest, then Great Lakes states, then out west, then California, and now it’s made it’s way across the South. Looking at it by county, it’s starting in the Upstate but will start working its way to the coast. Right now Charleston County is in better shape than most of the state, but our turn is coming. It’s how pandemics work, as one part of the population is hit hard the virus runs out of victims and moves on to those who haven’t been infected yet till it’s out of victims or everyone is either naturally immune or has been vaccinated. If you’re keeping your distance and wearing a mask until it’s your turn to be vaccinated then hopefully it will pass you by and far away, but Pandora’s box has already been opened otherwise. Nobody can change human behavior and there’s a lot of people out there. If you have any better ideas on reining folks in, I’m sure California’s government would sure like to hear them first as they have admitted they’re running out of levers to pull to control their population.

If I was running a state I would vaccinate those who have never been exposed to Covid first and get the people who already had Covid later to get to herd immunity faster.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2021, 11:09 PM
 
9,414 posts, read 4,307,373 times
Reputation: 6576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Charleston County and the metro were quickly headed down this path before mask ordinances were enacted here. While we still have too many cases, and while we could again become a hotspot compared to other metros, this news gives us reason to believe we have the means to prevent the virus from getting the best of us. Masks do work. The areas with no mask ordinances are definitely more at risk of blowing up with COVID-19 on an especially catastrophic level. (One death is too many.)

https://www.postandcourier.com/green...25a1ee80a.html
True but keep in mind the hardest hit areas of California are places like LA County who were one of the first to enact a mask ordinance. Mask ordinances are just like speed limits. Unless a cop is around, they’re just suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2021, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
10,397 posts, read 14,992,819 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
True but keep in mind the hardest hit areas of California are places like LA County who were one of the first to enact a mask ordinance. Mask ordinances are just like speed limits. Unless a cop is around, they’re just suggestions.
Did the report you read or heard on that mention what might be going on with masks? Any fines? Fines in Charleston have been in the news at least twice. Also, maybe large households among demographic subsets that may be less likely to follow ordinances in a huge, more densely populated area might come into play in LA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top