Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,625 times

Advertisements

We are in the early stages of a planned move to SC and pretty much have landed on the Summerville area. Currently live in PA and have Comcast Xfinity for my internet and it is like playing a slot machine in terms of availability. We no longer have cable because their prices were outrageous to get the few channels we want to watch (particularly TCM). So we switched to YouTubeTv with a Comcast Internet subscription. Still cheaper than cable.

From Internet searches it appears that there is a variety of options for internet in Summerville including fiber from xfinity, AT&T and Spectrum. I would appreciate any input from Summerville residents on quality and costs of internet.

I currently have 200 Mbps speed at $95 a month. Would love to have higher speed at reasonable cost but wanted to check what people think of what is offered in Summerville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 03:32 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRetiree View Post
We are in the early stages of a planned move to SC and pretty much have landed on the Summerville area. Currently live in PA and have Comcast Xfinity for my internet and it is like playing a slot machine in terms of availability. We no longer have cable because their prices were outrageous to get the few channels we want to watch (particularly TCM). So we switched to YouTubeTv with a Comcast Internet subscription. Still cheaper than cable.

From Internet searches it appears that there is a variety of options for internet in Summerville including fiber from xfinity, AT&T and Spectrum. I would appreciate any input from Summerville residents on quality and costs of internet.

I currently have 200 Mbps speed at $95 a month. Would love to have higher speed at reasonable cost but wanted to check what people think of what is offered in Summerville.
From my experience, it depends on which neighborhood and which provider has which equipment in that neighborhood. I'm on James Island and have had comcast for years with little problem. Others on James Isl have a lot of problems and swear by Wow. A friend in West Ashley has Wow and has had lots of problems.
I don't know much about prices as I only use internet and 100 Mb is plenty for me.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:15 PM

727 posts, read 716,088 times
It really does depend on where in Summerville you live. My neighborhood has Spectrum throughout, and AT&T fiber in some parts. Some neighborhoods have WOW. Best to ask neighbors of a house you're interested in or check availability on each company's website.

I have Spectrum. It is pricey, but dependable and fast enough for me. Just did a speed test and getting 70Mbps right now. I have bundled services, so I'm not sure how much just the internet part costs. TV, phone and internet base charges are $175.00 before add-ons and taxes.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:41 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Like others said depends where you are. I'm with atnt and have 1 gbp which is 1000mbps and I'm paying 75$ a month 12 month special which could change anytime.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:18 AM

237 posts, read 283,566 times
Whatever choice you make, please don't PA our SC!

Old 01-10-2021, 01:05 PM

727 posts, read 716,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
Whatever choice you make, please don't PA our SC!
That was rude....

Old 01-10-2021, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,380 times
You can best see where xfinity/comcast is available through their wifi hotspot map:
https://hotspots.wifi.xfinity.com/

Each dot generally indicates an xfinity customer.

Im a WOW internet customer in hanahan. Took a while to get it installed, so if you’re buying in a new neighborhood, start the install process asap.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:55 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
That was rude....
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BSJSAS again."

Old 01-12-2021, 01:18 PM

16 posts, read 23,198 times
I sent you. message!
We have Home Telecom which is expensive and Spectrum here in Cane Bay Plantation.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:22 AM

237 posts, read 283,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
That was rude....
Sorry, the locals appreciate assimilation, not dilution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area