Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 04:13 PM

275 posts, read 430,723 times

Advertisements

So frustrating. He leaves the dog out on some days all day and night long. I and neighbors have spoken to him on several occasions and we can't get this guy to keep the dog inside.

I tried calling the police at 2am ( non emergency line ) and they refused to come out. They told me to call animal control in the morning. Animal control won't do anything unless it's 14 consecutive days! What a joke. HOA has sent him a letter and I guess he listens to them the same we he listens to his neighbors.

What can I do? Can I insist that the police have to come out and deal with it?

Also I am in the unincorporated area of Summerville. It's a nice sub-division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 04:53 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
Keep reporting it to police and especially the HOA. If he gets enough complaints through the HOA, they should be able to levy a fine.

Squeaky wheel. Just keep reporting it.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:45 PM

727 posts, read 716,088 times
I had an issue with neighbors who blasted music all and every weekend while washing their cars. It was too early in the day for the noise ordinance to be in effect, and the Management company tried to tell me it didn't violate the CCR's.

Our CCR's, however, said the following:
"No obnoxious or offensive activity shall be carried on about the Lots or in or about any improvements,
Homes, or on any portion of the Project nor shall anything be done therein which may be or become an unreasonable
annoyance or a nuisance to any Owner. No use or practice shall be allowed in or around the Homes which is a source
of annoyance to Owners or occupants of Homes or which interferes with the peaceful possession or proper use of the
Homes or the surrounding areas."

I continued to complain, and cited the above. It stopped.

Maybe you have something similar in yours?

Just re-read the post. If the mgt. company sent a letter, then you should be able to keep reporting it. Ours told me that fines increase every 7 days that a violation continues. You would think racking up fines would have some effect. I agree with the other poster who suggested being a squeaky wheel.

You might have read this, but this is Dorchester Co.' noise ordinance: https://library.municode.com/sc/dorc..._S28-2UNLONOPR

And this Nuisance Ordinance: https://library.municode.com/search?...ntTypeId=CODES

Last edited by BSJSAS; 02-08-2021 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: add thought

Old 02-09-2021, 09:02 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Focus on calling animal control and if you have to exaggerate a little you can - like the dog is growling at children walking by, so they come and do something! That is who will actually do something, nobody else is going to do anything.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
Focus on calling animal control and if you have to exaggerate a little you can - like the dog is growling at children walking by, so they come and do something! That is who will actually do something, nobody else is going to do anything.
The dog is in a cage outside, so there's no threat to people. And it's fenced in.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:09 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderguy View Post
The dog is in a cage outside, so there's no threat to people. And it's fenced in.
Sounds pretty bad for the dog... I don't understand why people like that even want to own a dog. If the dog's being treated inhumanely, animal control might take the dog from the owner. Otherwise you can possibly file a complaint regarding a local noise ordinance. I had a brother do that (in Chapel Hill) successfully against an owner who refused to do anything about his incessantly barking dog in spite of being cited for it. My brother had to take him to court but he did win.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:38 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,655 times
Many, many years ago, I read a story of someone who videotaped what it sounded like in their back yard - from a neighbor's dog. Various times of the day, everyday, for months. They then went and filed a claim in small claims court - and won... Once the Judge saw the videos, and they documented the requests to the neighbor... They sued for the ax amount of $ in small claims ct (usually $5k)

Old 02-09-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Many, many years ago, I read a story of someone who videotaped what it sounded like in their back yard - from a neighbor's dog. Various times of the day, everyday, for months. They then went and filed a claim in small claims court - and won... Once the Judge saw the videos, and they documented the requests to the neighbor... They sued for the ax amount of $ in small claims ct (usually $5k)
I have some photos and videos because he told one neighbor you can't prove it's his dog. You could probably go to court and win but what are winning? He won't pay. I have seen this countless times with the HOA when someone does not pay the yearly dues. The HOA wins in court and still don't pay. Then it's more money to go back to court to get a lien on the house. So now what? If he's not moving you have nothing but a howling dog driving everybody nuts.

I also looked him up on the county court records site. He's a loser, he's got several law suits against him for not paying back on bank loans. He's already lost one house due to foreclosure in this county. God knows who else he owes money to in other counties or states.

The police refuse to do anything, all they tell us to do is contact animal control. Animal control has been called by several neighbors and nothing happens.

Old 02-09-2021, 03:45 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderguy View Post
I have some photos and videos because he told one neighbor you can't prove it's his dog. You could probably go to court and win but what are winning? He won't pay. I have seen this countless times with the HOA when someone does not pay the yearly dues. The HOA wins in court and still don't pay. Then it's more money to go back to court to get a lien on the house. So now what? If he's not moving you have nothing but a howling dog driving everybody nuts.

I also looked him up on the county court records site. He's a loser, he's got several law suits against him for not paying back on bank loans. He's already lost one house due to foreclosure in this county. God knows who else he owes money to in other counties or states.

The police refuse to do anything, all they tell us to do is contact animal control. Animal control has been called by several neighbors and nothing happens.
For reference. In SC it cost a Magistrate Court (Small Claims Court) fee of about $75 to file a lien. One does not need a lawyer to do so. An officer of the association's BOD can do it.

Does the dog have a dog house in his pen? If not, report it to the ASPCA.

Old 02-09-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
For reference. In SC it cost a Magistrate Court (Small Claims Court) fee of about $75 to file a lien. One does not need a lawyer to do so. An officer of the association's BOD can do it.

Does the dog have a dog house in his pen? If not, report it to the ASPCA.
I guess the HOA is burning our money, they claim it costs about $600 per lien with lawyers and court fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: