Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,524 times

Advertisements

My family and I currently live in Indianapolis,IN. We have 2 children (4 and 7). We're looking at different neighborhoods in summerville. We're looking for a 4 bed, 2+ ba, minimum 2000 sqft and a semi private backyard and our budget is in the low 400,000s. We don't like vinyl homes that are stacked on top of each other. Hoping for a brick home or a cement plank home. We would also like to either have a private pool or a neighborhood pool and good schools for the kiddos. So far we really like Legend Oaks neighborhood but are open to any other suggestions! We'd like a "newer home" (nothing older than 2000) and a home thats mostly updated. We really like Mount P... but feel like most of the homes in our budget will need a major upgrade or more of a vinyl village. We will be down visiting next weekend so take a closer look and plan on moving this spring (around April/May). Please help with any suggestions! We love the Charleston are and are hoping to be within 45 of Folly Beach/IOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 10:48 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indychels View Post
My family and I currently live in Indianapolis,IN. We have 2 children (4 and 7). We're looking at different neighborhoods in summerville. We're looking for a 4 bed, 2+ ba, minimum 2000 sqft and a semi private backyard and our budget is in the low 400,000s. We don't like vinyl homes that are stacked on top of each other. Hoping for a brick home or a cement plank home. We would also like to either have a private pool or a neighborhood pool and good schools for the kiddos. So far we really like Legend Oaks neighborhood but are open to any other suggestions! We'd like a "newer home" (nothing older than 2000) and a home thats mostly updated. We really like Mount P... but feel like most of the homes in our budget will need a major upgrade or more of a vinyl village. We will be down visiting next weekend so take a closer look and plan on moving this spring (around April/May). Please help with any suggestions! We love the Charleston are and are hoping to be within 45 of Folly Beach/IOP.
There is actually a very nice house in Legend Oaks that sounds like it would be a great fit. I have clients who bought in there and they love it.

Coosaw Creek Country Club, Pine Forest Country Club and Cedar Grove also have houses that might work well right now. All of those are nice neighborhoods with a pool and in the Dorchester 2 school district.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:59 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times
My first thoughts were Pine Forest CC and Legend Oaks as well. If you don't mind a fixer upper, there's other places like Iron Gate, Walnut Farms, and other areas. An agent can filter a home search by brick homes (front only or full brick) and that shouldn't be too hard to find.

Some other areas I like with brick homes are: Brickyard in Mt Pleasant, Dominion Hills in Hanahan, Providence Commons in West Ashley and also Drayton on the Ashley in West Ashley.

Full bricks typically mean older homes.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:38 PM

727 posts, read 715,260 times
In Summerville, my first thought was Ashborough or Ashborough East, for brick, larger lots, and DD2 schools but these will be 1970's and 1980's houses.

The newer houses will likely be vinyl, or if cement plank they will be on very small lots (e.g. Summers Corner)

The Bridges has a few stucco and brick front homes, but none for sale right now. These homes were built in the early 2000's.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:40 AM

51 posts, read 69,360 times
Hi There, I live in Legend Oaks. We purchased here almost three years ago and absolutely love it. It is definitely well within your budget. My home was built in 1999 and is one of the older homes. It was updated before we bought in areas that were important to us so all we did really was paint and a few personal improvements. I personally found when looking it was a better choice for us than the ashborough neighborhoods because I believe most of the homes we looked at there were older and more in need of repair for one thing and also had to be more careful in that area for flooding. Pine Forest is another beautiful neighborhood but just wasn't for us. I will send you a direct message to elaborate. Summers Corner based on your original post would be a big no.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth727 View Post
Summers Corner based on your original post would be a big no.
I agree. I hope it didn't appear that I was recommending it. I was using it as an example of cement board built new neighborhoods with very small lots. The houses in there and many of the other new developments do have houses on top of each other.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:11 AM

93 posts, read 86,099 times
The front section of Summers Corner is Hardy Plank siding and not all home are on top of each other. There are several on the market that are an easy short walk to the community pool and the elementary school and middle school for the arts are right here in the community.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:39 PM

51 posts, read 69,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
I agree. I hope it didn't appear that I was recommending it. I was using it as an example of cement board built new neighborhoods with very small lots. The houses in there and many of the other new developments do have houses on top of each other.
Not at all sorry if I made it seem that way. The houses are pretty there. I've seen a few of them but I feel like I could pass the sugar to my neighbor from my table lol. Some people like that sort of living and I certainly can see how it could be nice but not for me. I don't think I am peopley enough

Old 02-11-2021, 05:15 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanino View Post
The front section of Summers Corner is Hardy Plank siding and not all home are on top of each other. There are several on the market that are an easy short walk to the community pool and the elementary school and middle school for the arts are right here in the community.
To my knowledge there are only a few that have at least a quarter acre and they're probably $500k or more.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanino View Post
The OP should go look for themselves and decide if it's what they want. I felt claustrophobic in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth727 View Post
Not at all sorry if I made it seem that way. The houses are pretty there. I've seen a few of them but I feel like I could pass the sugar to my neighbor from my table lol. Some people like that sort of living and I certainly can see how it could be nice but not for me. I don't think I am peopley enough
Me, either! I can see the appeal for people with small children who like to socialize, but it's not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area