Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 02:16 AM

170 posts, read 286,720 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain the hospital system here? Is MUSC independent? Does it own East Cooper in Mt Pleasant? Is Roper St. Francis it’s own system too? Are some hospitals more specialized? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 06:40 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
MUSC is the State's primary medical university. It is a quasi State entity and has a non profit physician's affiliation that runs area Dr's offices and clinics. It has primary locations in Charleston, Florence, and Lancaster. Other smaller bed hospitals are being built around SC as well as new affiliations with Drs offices and specialty care. MUSC is the highest trauma center in our area and as a whole tends to handle more acute care issues. It ranks along side Prisma Health as the State's larger healthcare systems.

MUSC has the best children's hospital in the State. They just opened a really nice new one.

Roper St Francis is a private hospital that has provides excellent care too. I don't believe you get the specialty depth and broad team approach as MUSC, but I've heard the creature comforts are a little better and bedside care may seem more personalized. I've been told the birthing experience at Roper is top of it's class in the area.

East Cooper in Mt. Pleasant is more of a community hospital that deals mainly in what they call "bread and butter" procedures. Lower risk, turn key, non-invasive type of things. You might go have cath work done at East Cooper, but if you're going to have open heart surgery you'd want to go to MUSC. If you're looking for cancer treatment, depending on the type you may want to look at Roper or MUSC.

There's also Trident hospital system. Admittedly I don't know that much about their services. But what I do know is I'd put them somewhere between Roper and East Cooper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area