Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 11:45 AM

36 posts, read 44,739 times

Advertisements

Is it me or has the pricing for Charleston Wine and Festival gotten out of hand? Of the more than 100 events only 8 cost less than $95.

I'm beginning to think that we need a 'piccolo' version of this event.

You can see the schedule here: https://charlestonwineandfood.com/schedule/ .

For those interested, tickets go on sale at 11am on 10/21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 06:47 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada View Post
Is it me or has the pricing for Charleston Wine and Festival gotten out of hand? Of the more than 100 events only 8 cost less than $95.

I'm beginning to think that we need a 'piccolo' version of this event.

You can see the schedule here: https://charlestonwineandfood.com/schedule/ .

For those interested, tickets go on sale at 11am on 10/21.
Frequent participant and yeah -- they are expensive. Signature dinners are always out of this world.

It's gone up a bit but life has gone up a bit.

I think two years ago the cheapest ticket we bought was 75.00

I love the festival. I have had some great dinners/events. Met some great people, enjoyed good food, great drink, wonderful venues...but I'm not feeling it ---- I thought the new venue for the tent was great but 135.00 -- eeek. Plus the uber needed to get there nd home because of all the free booze.

I may not be going to anything. I so want to - but finding it hard to justify.

I thought they were going to make it more local friendly. My experience from dinners and meeting people....most people are from out of town with big money. They do tow or three events in a day. So for one person that could easily be hitting 600/day if not more. Add to that them staying at the best Charleston hotels and -- oh my.

I guess the pandemic made them lose that affordable option.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:42 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
I was just reading this morning in the NYT of how America has a "Cash Glut" right now. People are spending pretty freely and I think businesses are taking advantage of the moment.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I was just reading this morning in the NYT of how America has a "Cash Glut" right now. People are spending pretty freely and I think businesses are taking advantage of the moment.
Yup but from past experience....out of towners would come to the festival and drop easy minimum 500/day on events...add to tht uber, hotel.....and also they wouldn't just go the events -- brunch,lunch and dinner, they sould stop in to Bar X for a drink.

I've indulged in a few signature dinners and not sorry we did. But it is expensive.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:06 PM

In all the years we have been the cheapest event has been around 65/dollar. It was more of a party like atmosphere with booths with food, cocktails. Plenty of good food and good drink.

The cheapest this year seems tobe 95.00..

We went to the culinary tent years ago. I think for locals it was 75 dollars. It was just an excuse to drink tons of wine/spirits and grab some snacks. We didn't go back.

I was maybe going to go to the new venue at the Riverfront park...but it is 135.00. MEH ---- that's getting up there.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:17 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I am far from frugal but those prices are beginning to not be worth it. Only amateurs' drink more when free. I am a drinker, two scotches before dinner, wine (red) with dinner, an after dinner drink (Drambuie or B&B), but I drink no more when free.

Old 10-20-2021, 04:12 AM

84 posts, read 84,685 times
When living in south Florida we attended the South Florida Wine and Food Festival a couple of times. There too, locals complained that it was priced beyond the wallets of most residents. Eventually, we were not thrilled to pay several hundreds of dollars each for the signature events, dinners, etc.

In fairness to the sponsors, I know that it's quite expensive to bring this venue to fruition and they need to recoup expenses and hope to see profits.

For most of us plebian oenophiles, I suggest doing some research and buying a couple of bottles of wine that are ordinarily beyond what you'd spend. Ask some friends to do the same and provide your own food. Good wine, tasty dishes, and good conversation go a long way in making up for missing this event.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:37 PM

63 posts, read 52,953 times
This is our first year doing it and we are excited. Absolutely HATE the prices though...almost cheaper to do the Food & Wine Fest at Epcot (which is AMAZING by the way). Our last "local" wine fest was down in Destin FL when we lived near there. We met Emirel, Paula Dean, had some great experiences and it was nowhere near this much money.

We ended up picking only two things, which is severely disappointing. Doing an Italian dinner at Indaco and then the culinary village. Cost almost $1K which is ridiculous!!!

Old 10-24-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaverim View Post
When living in south Florida we attended the South Florida Wine and Food Festival a couple of times. There too, locals complained that it was priced beyond the wallets of most residents. Eventually, we were not thrilled to pay several hundreds of dollars each for the signature events, dinners, etc.

In fairness to the sponsors, I know that it's quite expensive to bring this venue to fruition and they need to recoup expenses and hope to see profits.

For most of us plebian oenophiles, I suggest doing some research and buying a couple of bottles of wine that are ordinarily beyond what you'd spend. Ask some friends to do the same and provide your own food. Good wine, tasty dishes, and good conversation go a long way in making up for missing this event.
YUP. I totally agree.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:53 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDude2019 View Post
This is our first year doing it and we are excited. Absolutely HATE the prices though...almost cheaper to do the Food & Wine Fest at Epcot (which is AMAZING by the way). Our last "local" wine fest was down in Destin FL when we lived near there. We met Emirel, Paula Dean, had some great experiences and it was nowhere near this much money.

We ended up picking only two things, which is severely disappointing. Doing an Italian dinner at Indaco and then the culinary village. Cost almost $1K which is ridiculous!!!
We've done the wine and food tests all along Destin/30A. They don't even remotely compare to the Charleston W&F fest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area