Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 13,744 times

Advertisements

We love the area, just not able to decide Four Seasons Cane Bay or Del Webb Nexton.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 05:07 AM

84 posts, read 84,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomorehightaxes View Post
We love the area, just not able to decide Four Seasons Cane Bay or Del Webb Nexton.
Any insight would be appreciated.
We've lived in Four Seasons for more than three years now and enjoy being here very much. Recently, we toured the homes in Nexton's Del Webb and can say that Del Webb and Four Seasons offer homes of similar styles and sizes. Del Webb is in the process of building its homes, as is Four Seasons.

Nexton is about 12 minutes closer to I 26. If you still travel to work, this may be important to you. Nexton has a new (about two years old) town center with shops and restaurants. The community as a whole is well planned.

Four Seasons will eventually have over 830 homes. It too, is still being built. It is approximately half-finished. This is a vibrant gated community with residents ranging from their 40s to 90s. About one-third of the residents still work. Generally, most residents are in their 60s and 70s.

Activities range from pickle ball, bocce, tennis, kayaking, and pool to Mah Jongg, card and board games, yoga, water aerobics, swimming, etc. Cane Bay has miles of trails, fishing, and boating (non-gasoline) opportunities. There is a very large Lake House (amenities center) and a Life Style Director. Frequently, there are special events that are either free, or require purchased tickets.

One of our priorities in selecting a retirement location was to pick a place where everyone else was new and looking to make friends. That eliminated established communities, such as Del Webb in Cane Bay.

Four Seasons in Cane Bay is surrounded by homes for younger families. That was important to us, as we enjoy being in a community with varying ages.

Both are planned housing developments. While Del Webb has a town center, Cane Bay has a shopping center and directly across the street from it (Nexton begins here), two shopping centers are being built.

Both Del Webb and Four Seasons offer yard maintenance for the lawn, shrubs, and trees that come with the homes. Anything else has to be approved and then maintained by the home owner.

Medical practices have been established in Carnes Crossing (near both communities). MUSC is building a hospital nearby in Nexton. Roper St. Francis (Berkeley) is minutes from Cane Bay.

Four Seasons has a fire station (with EMTs) and a police substation just yards from our entrance across Cane Bay Blvd.

If you haven't visited both developments, plan to do so. Ask questions. Speak to the residents you may see as you tour each one.

Our search began on the internet and then we visited the places that appealed to us. After an extensive quest, we chose Four Seasons.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:18 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Excellent summary from Chaverim! I believe Four Seasons has a broader selection of homes to choose from though they both have enough that you should be able to find one that suits.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:15 PM

Chaverim,
Thank You for such a detailed response.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,487 times
Default Nexton vs Cane Bay

I think both are good, the downside to Cane Bay Four Seasons is location.
There is definitely a problem with traffic at the main corner at rush hour and at school start and stop times. It was poorly planned. The main entrance and the schools are all at the same corner as the Publix shopping center.
There is a back entrance but is is pretty useless because it’s in the middle of nowhere. This is always going to be a problem. Also as they put more traffic lights in , it takes quite a bit longer r to get to Summerville or I/26 which takes you to everything. If you don’t mind the drive and entrance it’s fine. Quite pretty. Del Webb has the location, very close to the highway and 6 minutes from downtown Summerville. Also many more stores andrestaurants near Del Webb
Nexton is also building 100 acre area of more stores,restaurants, a Harris Teeter and new Publix. Plus a new Musc hospital. They have already started building, plus have stores, dr offices, restaurants already open.
Four seasons is waaaaay back into the subdivision so be aware of that.
Both are very nice and you probably would like both. Hoa fees are close. I’ve heard but don’t know for sure that it takes a lot longer to build in Four Seasons. We ended up in Del Webb because we wanted to be close to everything, but thought Cane Bay was good also. Good luck hunting!

Old 06-08-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankandkris View Post
I think both are good, the downside to Cane Bay Four Seasons is location.
There is definitely a problem with traffic at the main corner at rush hour and at school start and stop times. It was poorly planned. The main entrance and the schools are all at the same corner as the Publix shopping center.
There is a back entrance but is is pretty useless because it’s in the middle of nowhere. This is always going to be a problem. Also as they put more traffic lights in , it takes quite a bit longer r to get to Summerville or I/26 which takes you to everything. If you don’t mind the drive and entrance it’s fine. Quite pretty. Del Webb has the location, very close to the highway and 6 minutes from downtown Summerville. Also many more stores andrestaurants near Del Webb
Nexton is also building 100 acre area of more stores,restaurants, a Harris Teeter and new Publix. Plus a new Musc hospital. They have already started building, plus have stores, dr offices, restaurants already open.
Four seasons is waaaaay back into the subdivision so be aware of that.
Both are very nice and you probably would like both. Hoa fees are close. I’ve heard but don’t know for sure that it takes a lot longer to build in Four Seasons. We ended up in Del Webb because we wanted to be close to everything, but thought Cane Bay was good also. Good luck hunting!
There are plans to increase the number of lanes on Nexton Parkway when more homes are built. Roads here are constructed on 'now' numbers and not anticipated growth numbers. I'm told that eventually Cane Bay Blvd. will, too. In addition, Black Tom Road quickly takes one to Moncks Corner and points north.

The first few days of school do have a back-up problem until the kinks are worked out. Thereafter, there is no excessive time lost on Cane Bay for arrival and dismissal times. The timing is not a problem throughout the school year.

As for the intersection of State Road and Cane Bay Blvd., unless you are a working individual and must be in traffic, it's very easy to avoid it. There is a Nexton Parkway extension that we use to completely avoid the intersection. It goes from the round about on Cane Bay Blvd. to State Road. 'Problem' solved.

One of the things we loved while looking for our community was the rural feel. As homes are built, we are more of a bedroom community. While many of us enjoy that wide open feel, we opine that retail stores are so distant. Now both Nexton and Cane Bay have retail popping up nearby. With the convenience of stores, comes traffic, traffic lights, and longer drive times. It's just not possible to have both a rural feel and lots of shopping without having to compromise on where you live.

Building in Four Seasons takes about seven-eight months. I am told this by new residents. All construction in the area is having supply problems. Windows, in particular, are in short supply. There is a shortage of well-trained workers. County code inspectors are hard pressed to thoroughly inspect each new home, because of the volume of builds they must inspect. That can also have an impact on timing.

As you read replies to your query, Nomorehightaxes, you'll find there are positives and negatives to each location. I reiterate that, you must focus on what your most important priorities are to you. Once you address those needs, the compromise that you reach on your 'want list' will be the right choice for you.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:15 PM

Chaverim, I tend to agree with you about building now and not planning for future development .
I am very surprised with over 10,000 homes planned for Cane Bay, they only have a two lane road going thru the development. Is this a true fact that Cane Bay Blvd will be expanded to four lanes. After driving through the development,
I honestly do not see that happening.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:47 AM

There are no present plans to increase the lanes to four on Cane Bay Blvd. Entering Cane Bay, up to the roundabout, there is a one-mile stretch that is four lanes. What is vital is having multiple exits (in cases of emergencies, such as natural disaster evacuations).

We presently have Cane Bay Blvd. that exits to either State Road, or North Creek Drive, taking you to Nexton Parkway. In addition, at the roundabout (nearer to the schools), you may exit onto a road that takes you to State Road. Or, you may go past Wildcat Circle and go to Black Tom Rd.

We recently attended a Town Hall meeting in Four Seasons with our Berkeley County Supervisor, Johnny Cribb. He gave detailed explanations of what are County and State roads in our immediate area, what is planned, and what may be built, based on continuing population growth. Once housing developments reach specific numbers, the current laws require entrances/exits based on the number of homes. These exceed the number required in the past.

There are County maps of current and anticipated roads. I suggest that you inquire at Mr. Cribb's Office for fuller, complete information.

This is an area of built and to-be-built homes, shopping, restaurants, gas stations, etc.. It includes Cane Bay, Nexton, and Carnes Crossing. Monck's Corner is experiencing growth, too. Unless you select an already well-established community, there will always be changes occurring. The growth will dictate the building of roads.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,164 times
Chaverim-this is such a great thread. I’ve been looking for a thread like this for a long time I too am faced with Dell Webb which I’ve been watching since 2017 when they were working out of a trailer and had only pamphlets to hand out and then The Four Seasons, which I really like as well but in the past few years, I was more towards Dell Webb !Well- Dell Webb Nexton did away with their old model homes this past September and rebuild new model homes, which I’m really not crazy about at all. We liked the Dun Woody, Castle Rock. My husband and I did a play and stay in June and had a nice time they were really no events going on we got a nice feel of what it was like to stay there and it was very nice. When we stayed there, we went over to the four seasons and we toward their model and let me tell you I felt there was no comparison at all the four season model homes were amazing and not even cheap looking. That’s how we felt. I did feel the Dell Webb pool was nicer. I felt the four seasons pool was a little bit smaller and not as fancy their amenity center looked about the same and maybe The Four Seasons had more to offer with that aspect. I like the idea that the 55 and older community is sectioned off to 55 and older. I feel like even with Dell Webb is building. They are going to become very very crowded with everything. So as you see, I too am on the teeter, but I am pointing more towards the four seasons. I’m just wondering if the four seasons Lakes of Kane Bay if they have a gift flooded due to the lakes?

Old 10-17-2023, 07:00 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,109 times
Hi all, I'm just sharing this important information to help everyone know who might read this thread in the future to help avoid confusion about the Del Webb 55+ communities. There are actually three 55+ communities in Summerville: Four Seasons Cane Bay, Del Webb Cane Bay, and Del Webb Nexton. Four Seasons Cane Bay and Del Webb Nexton are the newer communities. All three 55+ communities are very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area