Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 12:28 PM

46 posts, read 43,240 times

Advertisements

On a positive note.

One of the best things done downtown was the Visitors Center offering free buses at that location to all points downtown and back. Great idea to keep individual vehicles driven by folks who are clueless of where they are out of an already messy traffic area. Yes, parking capacity at the VC is limited (Free CHS museum parking lot is across the street if the lot is full) and the bus hours vary.

I have used this resource many times when I go to an event or do something downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 1,005 times
When did summerville annex in every part of land possible and build build and build homes that are unbelievably higher in price compared to just a few years ago?? The middle class here is suffering...

Summerville was a beautiful but affordable place to live,and a great alternative to Mt Pleasant which could be on the pricier side and they had great schools!

Summerville feels like consumerism is the name of the game and besides, its a little difficult for the middle class to afford a lot of those homes.

Can you tell im angry?

Last edited by imperieuxdeux; 09-11-2023 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: added inportant note:

Old 09-11-2023, 11:44 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieuxdeux View Post
When did summerville annex in every part of land possible and build build and build homes that are unbelievably higher in price compared to just a few years ago?? The middle class here is suffering...

Summerville was a beautiful but affordable place to live,and a great alternative to Mt Pleasant which could be on the pricier side and they had great schools!

Summerville feels like consumerism is the name of the game and besides, its a little difficult for the middle class to afford a lot of those homes.

Can you tell im angry?
Summerville has always been the pricier alternative to Goose Creek or North Charleston. 40 years ago its nicer areas were likely pricier than most of Mt Pleasant and definitely more established. And its had some nice (read expensive) areas ever since I've lived in the area. The problem is that everything is through the roof. Look at James Island and West Ashley that always had a mix of middle class, wealthy, and poor enclaves to basically cover the spectrum. The lower cost areas are no longer affordable to people who earn even slightly above average salaries for the area.

Summerville's other 'problem' is that it is getting hit with a lot of folks who are moving to the area for jobs closer/beyond Summerville. Some of the transplants are now looking to the historic/adjacent areas as a less touristed alternate to Charleston. It is really attractive to northeasterners who want a town as an anchor as opposed to endless suburbia.

Old 09-11-2023, 07:09 PM

5,673 posts, read 5,882,381 times
I must say, this weekend may have been my last trip to Charleston. I have never seen traffic, and the lack of control of it so bad, maybe control is a poor choice of words, but it is so bad due to all the people too. Cant make turns because the walk lights tell them they can walk. There were more than one group of people who dropping the F bomb around young kids, and even some at Mother Emanuel AME Church saying this is that place where those people got "blowed away". Just disgusting!! These are just a couple examples of the disturbing things we saw and heard. On a positive note, I have to give kudos to the Francis Marion Hotel. We couldnt have asked for a nicer stay.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:54 PM

121 posts, read 93,888 times
I hear you John, last time I was down I got off 26 to turn left on Meeting, a bum there with a sign started ranting as I sat at the light, never even making eye contact. He got a firm grip on my drivers door handle. Then the light turned green and I punched it a little to get away. He did something like a face plant on the pavement, even my retired eagle scout self didn’t think twice about it. Is this the brave new world?

Old 09-12-2023, 09:55 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I must say, this weekend may have been my last trip to Charleston. I have never seen traffic, and the lack of control of it so bad, maybe control is a poor choice of words, but it is so bad due to all the people too. Cant make turns because the walk lights tell them they can walk. There were more than one group of people who dropping the F bomb around young kids, and even some at Mother Emanuel AME Church saying this is that place where those people got "blowed away". Just disgusting!! These are just a couple examples of the disturbing things we saw and heard. On a positive note, I have to give kudos to the Francis Marion Hotel. We couldnt have asked for a nicer stay.
I frequent the peninsula but haven’t had experiences like that. But the most exciting cities do have their share of such incidents.

Pedestrian rights of way can last a while with so many pedestrians. Don’t let bad moments interfere with the greater experience of being in Charleston.

Old 09-12-2023, 11:42 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
You both that visited Charleston are just describing what has happened to Charleston. It's not the same for sure , no matter how much people here want to hang out to saying it's still a great southern charm city. It's not. Sorry you both had the experience you did. The simple answer is people have come here from everywhere and too many of them. (mostly new york and new jersey). Too many people here on the small roads and infrastructure. There are more accidents everywhere, more people on the corners with signs asking for money. There is more crime with more people, with all the people comin here, they are not all good people.

Old 09-12-2023, 01:26 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Charleston was always destined to become too big to be pigeonholed as a southern charm city. Thank goodness.

Old 09-12-2023, 01:42 PM

5,673 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
You both that visited Charleston are just describing what has happened to Charleston. It's not the same for sure , no matter how much people here want to hang out to saying it's still a great southern charm city. It's not. Sorry you both had the experience you did. The simple answer is people have come here from everywhere and too many of them. (mostly new york and new jersey). Too many people here on the small roads and infrastructure. There are more accidents everywhere, more people on the corners with signs asking for money. There is more crime with more people, with all the people comin here, they are not all good people.
Ive been coming to Charleston almost every year since I was 4 or 5 years old, so basically for 50 years. Most of the time we stayed in Mt Pleasant, or IOP, and just traveled into the city to spend the day wandering around, eating, and just generally enjoying everything. I dont need a map of the Yorktown, and have told a couple of the workers some things they didnt know. I can get from one place to another and not even thnk about where to turn, and have been mistaken for a local more than once. I was there when Josh Gates was there. (You can see me standing inthe background in that episode.) Now Im not going to bash the city, like some people do on other forums, but I have noticed how much it changed, but didnt realize just how bad until this weekend. It saddens me to no end. If, and thats a big IF I come back, Ill probably just stay at IOP or MP and come into town later in the day. or better yet, come later in the year.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:59 PM

121 posts, read 93,888 times
John, my story is very similar to yours. I remember in about 1970 my family being warned by a middle aged black police officer that we were obviously tourists, the sun was setting and we were two blocks north of Broad! I remember King street being a dump, and the police chief Reuben Greenberg skating around town on rollerblades. I remember the waiters at Henry’s wearing white jackets and bow ties. I also remember what the streets looked and smelled like before the horses started wearing diapers.

I have had great experiences recently, my first Carolina Day attendance, which was a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours. Another was rubbing elbows with extended families in the lobby of Fleet Landing right after church, handsome friendly folks with beguiling accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area