Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,400 times

Advertisements

Hi All.

I am moving to Charleston from Pittsburgh, PA, and am looking for some advice on where to live. My ideal neighborhood would be one with single working professionals, artists, hippies, liberal people. Also, ideally, it would be walking distance to bars, restaurants, coffee shops and such. Does such a place exist in Charleston?

Through my research, I've found that downtown is a good place to live. Does anyone know of specific apartment complexes close to Broad and King that I should look at? I found one - Sergeant Jasper, but it had terrible reviews.

Another option I was looking at was Folly Beach. I don't know a whole lot about it. What is the neighborhood like? Are most residents over 35/under 35?

Of course, any other suggestions are welcome. the more detailed the suggestions the better. For example, if you suggest Folly Beach, and happen to know the name of a great apartment complex there, please share.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Downtown area would be good....

Folly isn't as liberal as the downtown area....

Old 07-21-2009, 01:58 PM

547 posts, read 1,197,277 times
sounds like downtown is the place for you...pricey but very nice

Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,593,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by since1981 View Post
Hi All.

I am moving to Charleston from Pittsburgh, PA, and am looking for some advice on where to live. My ideal neighborhood would be one with single working professionals, artists, hippies, liberal people. Also, ideally, it would be walking distance to bars, restaurants, coffee shops and such. Does such a place exist in Charleston?

Through my research, I've found that downtown is a good place to live. Does anyone know of specific apartment complexes close to Broad and King that I should look at? I found one - Sergeant Jasper, but it had terrible reviews.

Another option I was looking at was Folly Beach. I don't know a whole lot about it. What is the neighborhood like? Are most residents over 35/under 35?

Of course, any other suggestions are welcome. the more detailed the suggestions the better. For example, if you suggest Folly Beach, and happen to know the name of a great apartment complex there, please share.

Thanks for your input!
You would probably be better off not restricting your search to "complexes." A lof of old houses are divided into apartments. I used to live in a carriage house behind a bigger house downtown and loved it. I would check the classifieds in the paper and on craigslist.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 PM

87 posts, read 268,644 times
I would still look at Folly Beach. Not many young professionals, though.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,816 times
My husband, myself and small dog are moving to Charleston in August. We just returned from the beautiful city more confused than ever on where to live. We are mid 50's who work in the healtcare field. We're looking for a pet friendly apartment complex with lots of amenities (pool, fitness center, etc) around $800-900 mo. Safety and close proximity to shopping, dining, water are our main objectives. Does anyone know of a great community that is no more than 15-20 min from downtown? Someone suggested West Ashley and Mt Pleasant (which seems a little too pricey). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:32 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,679,579 times
The complex we are currently staying in has wonderful amenities, and the single room units are close to your price. It's called Central Square at Watermark and it's in Mount Pleasant right near where highway 17 meets the 526. The only problem with the place is at 40 years old I feel like Grandma Moses. I'm pretty sure most of the 20 somethings in the city live here!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:32 AM

45 posts, read 75,796 times
What's your budget? If it's under$2000, I'd say forget living below Calhoun unless you don't mind student-type housing. Have you looked on Craig's List? Depending on your budget, you might want to think about King St, around Cannon...it seems to have a funky vibe. We actually saw a couple of places on Cannon that were pretty nice (some were listed on Craigslist, some we found through an agent) but too small for a couple. And some of the studenty places were pretty decent, but my wife is going to be a prof at CofC, so we had to nix those possibilities. Also, if you find a bar/restaurant/cafe with staff that seems to be your type (alt/ bohemian/preppy - whatever) ask them what part of town they live in, and where they and other industry types go when they aren't working....It's a great way to find your niche, and possibly be introduced to burgeoning neighbourhoods that are not on the radar

Old 07-06-2010, 08:39 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,433,514 times
You might also consider I'on in Mount Pleasant if you could find a rental. But it's SFH so unless someone is renting a room probably not a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area