U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:37 AM

44 posts, read 290,269 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Summerville next month. We are on the waiting list for the following day cares.

Good Shepherd
St. Luke's
Sunshine House
Gateway Academy

Any comments? Negative or positive?

Thanks!
SC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 02:09 PM

46 posts, read 140,245 times
I'd stay away from Sunshine house. They're overpriced compared to most (wanted almost $900 a month for my two toddlers) and their big "thing" for the toddler class is karate...not really what I want my 3 year old learning.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 PM

Thanks! Doesn't sound like our type of place either.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Not a problem The reason why I stay home with my two is because we cannot afford decent childcare here.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:57 AM

488 posts, read 1,485,613 times
St. Luke's is wonderful. We had our oldest there until we moved. It's very competitive to get in there (at least it used to be). We had to camp out for out spot. We had him at Good Shepard while we waited for the new year to start at St. Lukes and we liked it as well but St. Luke's is great if you can get in. As a side note---I'm not sure that you can get into St. Luke's if you are not a member. We were members there, camped out all night and still got the last infant spot. If you are looking for an older child you might be okay.

Last edited by NCBoyMommy; 06-11-2008 at 09:15 AM..

Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the info. I just called St. Luke's to double check and she said you do not have to be a member of their church to attend the day care. Unfortunately,we are number 15 on their waiting list.

Also, we are on the waiting list for Summerville Baptist.

Thanks for all your help!

Tricia

Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 AM

488 posts, read 1,485,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcarolinaonmymind View Post
Thanks for the info. I just called St. Luke's to double check and she said you do not have to be a member of their church to attend the day care. Unfortunately,we are number 15 on their waiting list.

Also, we are on the waiting list for Summerville Baptist.

Thanks for all your help!

Tricia
You can apply if you are not a member but members get to sign up earlier....what I meant was you may not be able to get in (get a spot) without being a member. It usually fills up during the member registration.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:54 PM

402 posts, read 871,471 times
sconmymin, do you mind if I ask a question? I don't mean to threadjack but I was wondering why there are waiting lists for day care? Is this normal everywhere or is this just something that goes on in this area? The reason I ask is that a child is possibly in our near future and I am very apprehensive about this issue. Any way around being put on a waiting list??

Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Hi Deeni,

I have learned that most of the good day cares have a waiting list, ie. they fill up fast. Preference is given to existing students and their siblings, then the remaining spots are made available to new families. The only way I have been bumped to the top of the waiting list where I am now is that my 2 other kids went there so they gave me sibling preference. My advice is to give yourself plenty of time to shop around then ask the director when she recommends registering to be sure to get a spot. For the record, the places I have listed have given me a 3-6 month time frame before they anticipate openings. Looks like I'll need a babysitter from August until I get a spot at a good center.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
sconmymin, do you mind if I ask a question? I don't mean to threadjack but I was wondering why there are waiting lists for day care? Is this normal everywhere or is this just something that goes on in this area? The reason I ask is that a child is possibly in our near future and I am very apprehensive about this issue. Any way around being put on a waiting list??
This is a major military area and that is the reason for waiting lists (that and the people who don't believe in birth control and have 6 kids). If you think getting one child into childcare around here is hard, try getting two kids 14 months apart that are not potty trained yet . We moved here in 2006 and are STILL on the waiting list on the Naval Weapons Station for two spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area