U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,737 times

Advertisements

Our family is also moving to Charleston in July and looking for a house to rent for the first year. We were ready to sign a lease agreement today for a very nice home in Hamlin Plantation (The Sound subdivision) and noticed signs posted throughout the community "Beware of alligators". This is a big concern for us coming from Colorado.

Can someone tell me if this is a big issue there? We are now looking in Park West as this seems very family oriented and may not have as much reptiles.

Help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:17 AM

2,527 posts, read 7,614,225 times
It's not a major concern. You just have to be careful around all bodies of water in South Carolina. Any bodies of water in Park West will have gators as well. We're not talking the kind of gators that will come into your backyard, bang on the door and try to break into your home. You'll see small ones lying on the shore, sunning, and lazing in the ponds. Just do -not- feed them or let small dogs, cats, or children wander around unaccompanied, especially near the water.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 AM

459 posts, read 1,543,804 times
You know how you have to wary of moose and bears when hiking in Colorado? You don't spend all your time worrying about it, you just know you should pay attention. That's how it is living in South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Lousiana, Mississippi, etc... when talking about alligators and other indiginous wildlife. I've seen people post here because they saw a snake. I've had people cancel real estate appointments because they heard we have a pond in the back yard. I have lived here for all of my 45 years and not one single member of my family has either been bitten, chased, or felt the need to defend themselves against an alligator. We don't swim with them. We don't feed them. Occasionally we may go fishing around them. It's a wild animal. Give it the same respect you would any other wild animal you are unfamiliar with and you will be just fine. BTW, it live right between the two neighborhoods you mentioned and yes we do have a gator that hangs out in our pond. I could care less.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:02 PM

88 posts, read 392,463 times
I would not let a "beware of alligators" sign be a deal-breaker for buying your home. I think fgtrvlr summed it up pretty well. Just use common sense.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:57 PM

400 posts, read 866,728 times
I lived in Florida for 2 years and here for 3 months. I have yet to see an alligator but I know they are here. I personally try not to rent near the water. I just don't like the bugs, snakes, and other creepy crawlies that come with it.

BTW, did anyone hear about the alligator that was found in the surf at Isle of Palms on Saturday?? How did that happen?!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:16 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,328,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
BTW, did anyone hear about the alligator that was found in the surf at Isle of Palms on Saturday?? How did that happen?!
Wildlife officials said it was probably a case of someone getting an alligator as a pet, then it got too large for its home (whatever that was), so they turned it loose. It is now safely in an alligator sanctuary in FL, living in its natural habitat where it should be. People can be so thoughtless and ignorant!

Since these developers just keep encroaching on the habitats of local species, people are just going to have to learn to co-exist with and among the creatures who were here first. Be cautious and smart when living around any wildlife (as previous posters said)....but they shouldn't be killed or run out of their own homes.

To the OP, don't be misled.... just because a neighborhood is "family-oriented" doesn't mean that there can't be any alligators or other wildlife nearby. If you live near water, you have to be prepared to share it with those who lived there first.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:56 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,365,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Wildlife officials said it was probably a case of someone getting an alligator as a pet, then it got too large for its home (whatever that was), so they turned it loose. It is now safely in an alligator sanctuary in FL, living in its natural habitat where it should be. People can be so thoughtless and ignorant!

Since these developers just keep encroaching on the habitats of local species, people are just going to have to learn to co-exist with and among the creatures who were here first. Be cautious and smart when living around any wildlife (as previous posters said)....but they shouldn't be killed or run out of their own homes.

To the OP, don't be misled.... just because a neighborhood is "family-oriented" doesn't mean that there can't be any alligators or other wildlife nearby. If you live near water, you have to be prepared to share it with those who lived there first.
Good post and I totally agree!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:38 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,681,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Good post and I totally agree!
And I second that notion...

Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 PM

163 posts, read 637,418 times
Quote:

SCBeaches, I'm not sure what you mean when you say we should "coexist" with alligators and not run them from their homes.

Developers are not the bad guys. If there were no developers, none of us would have homes; we would all be living in the bush. And any development is going to encroach on the habitat of some species. I believe in conservation and that we ought to reserve some natural habitats for plants and animals. Also, I agree that we should use common sense and expect that there will be native wildlife around our homes. Most of the time, it's not going to be a big deal. But if there is an alligator or any other animal on my property that is endangering my family, it will be run out of its home. I'm not going to share my space with a potential menace just because "it was here first."

Old 06-12-2008, 12:49 PM

88 posts, read 392,463 times
BTW, did anyone hear about the alligator that was found in the surf at Isle of Palms on Saturday?? How did that happen?![/quote]

I heard it was a crocodile.
Why would they "send it to FL" to live happily ever after when they kill gators here at the drop_of_ a_hat when it appears in a neighborhood pond if someone complains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>