Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 08:41 PM

370 posts, read 950,237 times

Advertisements

Any former Upstate (Greenville/Spartanburg) residents that have moved to the Lowcountry? We are looking at having to relocate next year and are really wondering if it will be a better move or if we will miss the Upstate area. We love the beach, but there are things we love about the Upstate area, too. Anyone with a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:50 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,495,034 times
you'll miss it in my opinion; however i'm more of a lake person than beach person. i grew up in anderson, on the lake and recently lived in charleston for 2 years and now can't wait to get back home to anderson.

i LOVE charleston, but i think it's better for visiting. it's so crowded and traffic is a monster. i think there's much more to do in the upstate as well - mountains, lakes, rivers, hiking, and charleston is only a 4 hour drive! i used to drive back and forth from clemson to charleston every weekend for 2 years and the drive got shorter and shorter... also, my parents live in the upstate and have a 2nd house in charleston and they drive at least once a month. they LOVE it and have been doing it for over 10 years (not for everyone though).

i guess it depends on how much you really love the beach. and how much you love loving the beach with everyone else who loves the beach! haha.

my husband and i miss charleston (the restaurants, the city) but we'll visit often and in my opinion, that's the best of both worlds. we are so lucky in sc!

good luck with what you decide!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:47 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,378,938 times
I have lived in both areas, eight years in the upstate around Spartanburg.

The traffic along I-85 between Greenville and Spartanburg is about the same as it is between Summerville and Charleston.

There are more people here from elsewhere so if you are diehard natives you will notice the difference.

Charleston area is much more liberal than the upstate.

If you absolutely love the mountains you will be disappointed with the LOW country, it is flat flat flat...

Good news, all of that stuff you love about the upstate is only three hours away.

I personally love the entire state so I can live anywhere in the state.

As for Lakes, Marion and Moultrie are right here in the low country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area