Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2007, 11:51 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times

Advertisements

I am a South Carolina Native but havent lived at home in many many years and would like to know how safe the Rural areas around Charleston SC and the low country are to Interracial families (black husband, white wife and asian child)?

We are conservative, professional, quiet, clean, upper middle class so we will cause no troubles. I am sure some people might think that would happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 12:21 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
I imagine you would be as safe as wherever it is you live now. Why wouldn't you be?

Old 01-19-2007, 01:09 PM

well we live in liberal philadelphia and while it isnt the greatest, people do live and let live for the most part. No one has burned a cross in my yard, but then again i live in the heart of the downtown arts district so not many would.

I am talking about rural areas are Charleston, I am from Mt Pleasant originally and while that is a suburban area where people are for the most part accepting or tolerant, I am not naive to the fact that in the country, people do not take kindly to a black and white couple married.

I dont care if they dont speak to me or are not friendly, i have family nearby, I just dont want to be burned out or attacked.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:41 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
I think you would be fine. I see other interracial couples walking around, and no one looks twice. Burning or attacked - I've been in SC for 11 years, and I haven't seen anything like that. Charleston is a great place, I love it there. We like to go to the beach out on the Isle of Palms, so pretty.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:53 PM

my family are the only black family on Sullivans Island and my whole family lives in Mt Pleasant, in Old Mt Pleasant and Rifle range.

When i am home, my wife and I take the dogs everyday on Isle of Palm and Sullivans Isle.

these are safe places but I was talking about rural areas. John and James Island? Awendaw, Edisto, Summmerville, or St Stephens??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area