Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:20 AM

7 posts, read 56,002 times

Advertisements

I have 2 and 4 years old and l am looking for a preschool.
A lot of them has an address but not so much actual info about schools
on the web(except First Buptist Church).

If you have kids and they go to preschool, please post which schools has good curriculum, teachers etc.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 AM

207 posts, read 1,003,610 times
I'm currently an elementary teacher but have worked in preschools around Mt P and nannied for many parents who have used them as well. The three I recommend are:
1. Woodland Hall (might need to check on this...the owner was getting ready to sell it and retire...but it is a great, small school with a great staff)
2. Creative Spark (I'm not positive, but they might only take 3-4 year olds...definitely worth checking out...its a great preschool with a focus on the arts.)
3. O'Quinn School (Great reputation in Mt. P)

Check early! They fill up FAST! Also, you might want to look at Daniel Island Academy. I worked there for a year during grad school and it is a beautiful school not too far from Mt P. There was some trouble with staff turn around, but its under new management and might be better. However, it is one of the more expensive ones.

I haven't heard such great things about Starfish Academy, Sunshine House, or Gateway Academy.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 AM

Dear ah090206

Thank you so much for your post. That's really helpful.
I will give them a call.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 AM

What about these schools? Does anyone send your kids there?

1. Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church Learing Center
2. Chesterbrook Academy
3. First Buptist Church
4. St. Andrews Episcopal Day School
5. La Petite Academy
6. Coastal Christian Preparatory School

Thank you!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
I'd veto Chesterbrook Bad press at the school. Search Google for info.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 AM

88 posts, read 320,047 times
I looked at several. O'Quinn and Lighthouse were full. Stepping Stones was a definite no. La Petite closed. First Baptist has a great reputation, but was too far (we're in Park West). Sunshine House was my 3rd choice, Starfish my 2nd. We chose Children's Center at Carolina Park and we feel great about it. The director and staff are wonderful (they have had ZERO turnover, by the way.) The facility is the nicest I have seen. It's a little pricy, but I think it will be worth it. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:39 AM

207 posts, read 1,003,610 times
Teacher turnover is a big predictor of preschool quality! If teachers aren't happy, there is probably some issue with administration that will affect the whole center. I'm sure you'll be happy with Children's Center! Thanks for the post!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 PM

Thanks for all your comments! Finally we moved in Park West.
We are on a waiting list for few schools. As for Children Center, I have heard about it and people reccomended a lot. But it's over our budget so I had to look somewhere else...

Old 05-11-2009, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 15,926 times
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I thought it better to do that than start a new one.

My family and I are very new to Mt. Pleasant area and we are looking for a good preschool for our 3 year old. We live in the Belle Hall Neighborhood and would like to get our son back into preschool in the fall.

Does the list above still apply? Are there others that we should look at?

Also,
Are there any co-op preschools in the area? We were involved with one of those back in Seattle and it was great.

Thanks,
Heath

Old 05-11-2009, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 16,671 times
maybe check out the montessori school in the i'on neighborhood off mathis ferry road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area