Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:28 PM

14 posts, read 81,498 times

Advertisements

REALLY CONFUSED!!!

I live in Minneapolis, MN now (btw of Las Vegas) and have to go to the South. I would love to take a vacation to all of them and decide for myself however that is simply not an option financially so I thought I'd try a little question at ya'll.

I have researched Wilmington, NC; Savannah, and Charleston online and through the forum. I have read most posts that I feel may answer this question and I can't find
really anything . I want a place or an area where I can be close but in somewhat suburb where I can leave my doors unlocked share a sweet potato pie and not get judged because me and my partner are gay. Plus I own a Green cleaning company .

Wilmington - Doesn't feel Southern enough

Charleston - All of the posters seem to be truly pleasant I haven't seen "DONT MOVE HERE" posts like ones I see when they look at the Savannah Forum. It looks lovely and truly southern but I worry it seems to "big city" for me as well really expensive compared to Savannah and Wilmington. I would live in the Mt. Pleasant or James Is. area . Is it quaint and quiet?

Savannah - Where to start, it seems to me that if living in Savannah was as pleasant as Savannah displays herself to visitors it would be Paradise. I would live in the Wilmington Island area or maybe even Tybee where crime isn't bad.

However my partner and I aren't club goers - however a Hurricane at a Gay bar would be nice every one in a while.

Asheville (P.S.) NO! too hippie and land-locked and overpriced

I love the magnolias, azaleas, spanish moss, and palms as well as nice beaches. I have been waiting a long time to move to the South and it has to feel... well Southern.

We will be renting for a while - and we both work in the restaurant industry so it should take us long to get on our feet. What are the Fine Dining restuarants in Charleston?

What is gas going for in Charleston, what are the taxes like, Are alot of things closed on Sunday and do places close early during the week??? What are the speed limits like through out Charleston and on the interstate?

Please Help!

Last edited by Sparky85; 08-17-2008 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,595 times
wow, that's a lot of questions, and your already throwing out the ya'll! (something you will never hear me say, I'd just feel like a poser).

The important ones may be;
1. Restaurants - you'll be employed quickly in Charleston as we are full of high end food joints.
2. Taxes are low, but I'm not sure how they compare with MN.
3. I consider James Island more quaint & quiet than MTP.
4. You need to visit. Take 3 days.
jim

Old 08-17-2008, 11:58 PM

the ya'll is from my father - lol - the las vegas cowboy - some things just stick

Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,727 times
Restaurants and food are awesome, mount pleasant is a great area, what sort of budget for home buying are you considering? that could more determine your areas....gas prices are $3.69 (or around there), taxes are around $1,000/year., speed limits they are 35 city, 40-45 highway, 65 interstate, (isn't that pretty much the same everywhere?)...Sunday things are all open, you just can't buy liquor, things don't close early during the week (necessarily, but like what do you mean?)

Old 08-18-2008, 12:06 PM

Great thanks just trying to understand the workings of the city. Are there any 24 hour stores???

Old 08-18-2008, 12:47 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky85 View Post
Great thanks just trying to understand the workings of the city. Are there any 24 hour stores???

You won't find too many of those, save for some conveniant stores or like an occasional drug store. Some McDonalds (yuck) are open 24/7, and have come in handy for me when I've left a bar, and just want something to eat (when drunk, you don't care about taste).

Old 08-18-2008, 12:57 PM

397 posts, read 1,071,727 times
Walmart pharmacy is open 24 hours, and so is CVS on 17 N in MtP - gas station convenience stores are open that have milk, snacks, etc. - Kangaroo

Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,874 times
Too bad Charleston doesn't have Whataburgers. Their burgers don't taste good sober but excellant after the consumption of adult beverages!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:11 PM

We had Whataburgers while growing up in Vegas. They have Church's Chicken there right? They all pulled out of Las Vegas.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:19 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,874 times
Yeah, there's Church's Chicken. I prefer Popeyes though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area