Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:58 PM

459 posts, read 1,642,054 times

Advertisements

I stopped for gas this morning at 1030 on Clement's Ferry Rd, since the price was "reasonable" at 3.55 for regular. It was the same as yesterday. When I inserted the credit card, the pump indicated it was locked. I went inside and asked if there was a problem. The assistant manager was running the register and informed me they were doing a price change and it would be just a few moments before they were back on. I asked how much it was changing and did not recieve a reply. I asked twice more and she told me it was changing to 3.89. Now I'm okay with math, but I hesitated to make certain the numbers were right in my head. I then questioned the fact they were raising the price by 34 cents in one shot. I got a blank stare. I then returned to my vehicle and drove off. As I later came back by, there it was on the sign. 3.89. Now, the price of oil went DOWN today. Am I mistaken in labeling this as nothing more than preying on the public's worries that fuel will be in short supply? I consider that to be nothing more than blatant price gouging. I wonder if this is the local owner of the Kangaroo station that made that decision or if the parent company (The Pantry, Inc) is the one driving the change for fuel already sitting in their tanks under the station. Here is what really got me going. There is a sign on the pump asking folks to please only take 10 gallons to help out the other customers. Maybe the station or the company should be taking its own advice to help out all the customers instead of gouging us!

Last edited by fqtravlr; 09-12-2008 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 02:00 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,017,112 times
There's a ton of speculation going on concerning supply with Ike sitting offshore of Houston/Galveston. Thank the investors at wall street for the price hikes sure to happen during today and tomorrow.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,122 times
I was wondering when Kangaroo was going to catch up on Clements Ferry. I drove through last night, the other two stations were at $3.69. Thankfully I had a full tank.

I do believe all these Kanagaroos are corporate owned and the price changes come from the top.

Put a few dollars in to get you through the day. It's a sure bet as soon as IKE gets through the price will drop.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
Here in Richmond, VA., gas was around $3.42 this past Monday (not the lowest in my area but average). This morning going to work it was around $3.54. Coming home today the avg was $3.75! Then I turn on the national news this evening and learn that crude dipped below $100/brl. today. I don't get it. I used to not blame the retailers for pump prices, give or take a nickle/gal. "Don't blame us, we have to pass along the increases from the wholesalers. We only make .01 - .02/gal. Gas is a loss leader for us. Beer and cigarettes is where we make our money." This is total BS. Retailers raise prices in a heartbeat but are VERY SLOW to lower them when wholesale prices fall. Retailers want the cake and eat too.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 PM

43 posts, read 164,400 times
The price of crude has nothing to do with these increases. The wholesale price of refined gasoline jumped due to closing 35% of the refinery capacity in the US due to Ike. Demand jumped and prices responded as people filled up in anticipation of a possible supply shortage in the next week or so. If the refineries aren't damaged too badly overnight, prices will fall quickly.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:49 PM

206 posts, read 711,724 times
We are in Knoxville, TN and it is up to $4.60 here! Went up from $3.50ish to that in little as 5 hours!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:50 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,017,112 times
Everyone locally was predicting price increases up to $5 prior to the storm. Assuming Texas makes it through Ike alright, I'd hold off on buying gas until Monday.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:03 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,063 times
Gas gas shot up to over 4.00 a gallon overnight here in Aiken. There were people FIGHTING at Kroger's over gas pumps..stupid people....

Old 09-12-2008, 07:58 PM

308 posts, read 1,041,656 times
On my way home from Columbia today I stopped for gas just off the interstate in Lexington. 3 stations were out of regular unleaded. I drove about 1/2 mile down the road and found a station not out, but they were charging $5.40/gal!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:23 PM

98 posts, read 226,737 times
Ky and NC governors have enacted anti-price gouging decrees! I think all states should do it. We drove from WV to Columbia on our way to MB this weekend... some stations on the way had $4.29 and a few were out of gas.

Let's keep the people in IKE's path in our thoughts tonight. It's going to be a rough night for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area