Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 13,360 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Mt Pleasant this summer from Colorado. We love it here because of the schools, our church, outdoor activities and lifestyle, our friends, etc.

But change inevitably comes, and we are excited about it. We have 4 small children (8 and under). We like both Jennie Moore and Laurel Hill/Pinckney schools. Looking at several different neighborhoods for housing.

Please tell me more about what you love about living in Mt Pleasant. And maybe some tips about living there, getting acclimated, stuff to do, favorite neighborhoods & schools, favorite restaurants, etc.

We're not deciding, we are moving. I'd just like to get a feel for what to expect and advice from the "locals" on loving it like you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 02:31 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
awesome, Mt Pleasant is wonderful and Jennie Moore is a good school. Have you thought of Mt Pleasant Academy too? Old MP is good but a bit expensive.

the moderators here have censored me from giving information about the neighborhoods and housing but man the quality of life is wonderful there.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:35 PM

Oh, okay. I didn't know I shoudn't ask about certain neighborhoods. Just trying to get opinions since there's several we like.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM

my house is near jennie moore, the ladies who weave the gullah baskets are my family. there is a wonderful community called Hamlin plantation thats a good neibghborhood.

also Park west
Old village,
snee farm
dunes west

you will love the shopping there
the parks
the beach on isle of palm and sullivans island
islands to visit
downtown charleston for culture
great restaurants

Old 02-27-2007, 02:48 PM

What about Brickyard? I like that one too.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:51 PM

yes, its at teh end of the street i live on. great places

do you have any speciific questions about MP i can tell ya. Jennie moore is right down the road. my mother went there in teh 40s

Old 02-27-2007, 02:53 PM

my wife and I are moving down home permanently when our kid is about to start kindergarten--we will be sending them to Palmetto Christian academy

Old 02-27-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks for all your help and advice. I don't know what specific questions to ask. You know when you're moving and haven't lived there, it's hard to know what concerns you'll have until you get there. We have a church (Seacoast) that we have relationship with, so we are excited to plug in there. I just want to get my kids excited about coming and know that we'll fit in and make friends. We've lived here for 13 years and while I know a move/transition is hard on everyone, I want to minimize the risks as much as I can. I looked at Palmetto Christian, looks really great. Have a friend that attended and liked it. However, with 3 going to school next year, that comes to about $1,000 a month, which is a lot. I guess I felt that the public schools offered great education (it seems) and a safe and nurturing environment and we can provide the Christian emphasis at home. But I love hearing other peoples' thoughts too. I have LOTS of opinions about living in CO that I would happily offer to someone moving in. Just hard when I don't live there yet to know impessions, reputations, etc. of neighborhoods, schools, etc.

You've been so helpful, thanks!!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:29 PM

great, i have friends at Seacoast as well, they live on Daniel Island. Yes, we have one child we are adopting so we can afford one child and although i think the academics are good at the government controlled schools, the socialization in secular worlds is a bit too much even for SC--alot of the transplants arent christian oriented and have injected in alot of the bad parts of the society into our lil area.

there is a great place for the kids to learn to ride horses on highway 17, also the Seewee center is a great place for the kids to learn about the environment--they have 2 red wolves native to carolina, the county park system is awesome for kids and families, the tennis center is great on DI and patriots point is cool, and dont forget to look on the mt pleasant town website and check out the recreation center and pool, sports teams and arts programs, and the historical places like pinckney house and boone hall, the you will love the public library

Old 08-18-2007, 07:34 AM

5 posts, read 47,909 times
Red face Hamlin Plantation?

Did anyone move to Hamlin Plantation in Mt. Pleasant or live there? I'm interested in knowing what it's like. Traffic in area? Good shopping, restaurants, social life? THANKSSSS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area