Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2007, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 15,885 times

Advertisements

I am a native Michigan resident and can't stand the cold climate anymore!!

My wife and I have 2 children 5 and 7 and would like to move to a warmer climate and were considering S. Carolina.

I am self-employed as a Marketing/Advertising consultant and do pretty well so the move has me a bit scared to start from scratch in S. Carolina. I'm sure I would keep some of my clients but not sure how well it will work out. My wife is educated and thinking of getting a new job currently and I'm confident she will have no problem getting one in S. Carolina.

Anybody know anything about the Charelston area as it relates to my type of work helping busineess owners market their products and services??? Is there a lot of people doing what I do there?? What is the big industry i'm sure tourism is one of them??

Also, is the Charelston area a good place for my family and I?? My wife has been to Charelston and say's it's a beautifull area. I am planning a trip to visit this year and check it out any other area's anyone would recommend? Keep in mind I would like to be close 30minutes or so to a major area for getting my business going. Can't be way out in the country but would like to find a nice neighborhood possibly on a golf course/Lake in the $375,000 - $450,000 price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 11:13 AM

12 posts, read 99,391 times
Default SC Business/Commerce Hubs -- Charleston among them

Kevin,

The main commerce/population hubs of SC are (central) the capital Columbia, ("Upstate") Greenville/Spartanburg, (north coastal) Myrtle Beach, and (south central coastal, or "the Lowcountry") greater Charleston area. Secondary areas large enough to give a thought to might include (way south) Savannah, (west central, on Georgia border) North Augusta and Aiken, SC, and (north) the SC side of the greater suburban Charlotte area.

Recommend checking through the Chambers of Commerce (CofC) for some of your business questions, if you haven't already. I'm in the Charleston area. Check into Mt Pleasant CofC, Charleston or North Charleston CofC, and Summerville CofC as good local resource start-points. The greater Charleston tri-county area is comprised of a number of communities all relatively abutting each other, with a few smaller outlying towns/communities.

You will be OK with your housing cost for many of the areas around the Charleston tri-county, with the exception of beach, true coastal or deepwater/tidal places, and some of the high end neighborhoods.

Most folks look carefully for the right school districts unless planning on private schools, as the SC public school system has a spotty record. Fortunately, a number of schools in the Lowcountry fare quite favorably. Just wanted you to keep that in mind as you begin your focused search.

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,498 times
Lightbulb hello

I live in New York and i have 3 kids
my husband and i thinking on moving to S Carolina Charleston to be exact
i wanted to know the area's there
like how much the rent and where is good to live and also safe
please help me
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
thank you

Old 09-30-2008, 10:49 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,727 times
Default Charleston area marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
I am a native Michigan resident and can't stand the cold climate anymore!!

My wife and I have 2 children 5 and 7 and would like to move to a warmer climate and were considering S. Carolina.

I am self-employed as a Marketing/Advertising consultant and do pretty well so the move has me a bit scared to start from scratch in S. Carolina. I'm sure I would keep some of my clients but not sure how well it will work out. My wife is educated and thinking of getting a new job currently and I'm confident she will have no problem getting one in S. Carolina.

Anybody know anything about the Charelston area as it relates to my type of work helping busineess owners market their products and services??? Is there a lot of people doing what I do there?? What is the big industry i'm sure tourism is one of them??

Also, is the Charelston area a good place for my family and I?? My wife has been to Charelston and say's it's a beautifull area. I am planning a trip to visit this year and check it out any other area's anyone would recommend? Keep in mind I would like to be close 30minutes or so to a major area for getting my business going. Can't be way out in the country but would like to find a nice neighborhood possibly on a golf course/Lake in the $375,000 - $450,000 price range.
I think that as a business owner you have already once established your business where you are, you will take a step back until you establish yourself here, but of course you can do it! The positive thing about moving here is that many people are self employed as there is not a lot of "industry" (except medical, engineering, etc.) but you will find many entrepenuers that would value your marketing assitance. You should check out Mount Pleasant for great schools, lake/golf homes, close to beach and downtown.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM

528 posts, read 1,514,098 times
Hi Kevin,
I understand what you're going through. I moved my family back to South Carolina when my oldest daughter was 10 and youngest was 1 years old. We had been living in Indiana, where I had established my own business. It was definitely scary and took a lot of thought and savings, as I knew it would take me awhile to get on my feet in SC. That was 20 years ago and we are very glad we moved when we did. If you feel like you're ready for a change, and since you've been successful with your own busines in MI, I'm confident you will do well here. So much of being an entrepeneur is just that...BEING an entrepeneur and having faith in yourself. There are many businesses down here. When you visit, definitely let one of us give you a tour of the greater Charleston area so you can weigh your options with the right information. If you like golf communities, you should look at the ones in the Mount Pleasant and Summerville areas. Both of these have a lot to offer.
Summerville is going to give you Dorchester 2 public schools and some great country clubs and golf course communities. Mount Pleasant will get you closer to the beaches, but the price tags will be a bit higher and you want to make sure you know what school your children will go to as not all of the schools are created equal. (This goes for S'ville of course too.) Best of success.
What part of MI are you coming from? My daughter lived in Grand Rapids with her husband for a couple of years and loved the summers, but had a ROUGH time during the long winter months.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
I'd like to make everyone aware that the original poster left this message in February of 2007 and hasn't posted since March of that year.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:47 PM

528 posts, read 1,514,098 times
lol...after I typed out my response and sent it, I noticed that. Hope they found what they were looking for.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:00 PM

397 posts, read 1,071,727 times
good eye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area