Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 26,841 times

Advertisements

Hi!
-First, let me explain myself...I'm from WV, moved and have lived in Pittsburgh for close to 3 years where I got a Bachelor's in Interior Design. I'm 23, having a hard time finding what it is I want in Pittsburgh, and eager to just pick up and move. My family and I travel to SC probably twice a year (Myrtle Beach, Pawley's Island) for vacation and such. I looove the area, the hospitality, the beaches...everything. That being said:

-I've basically chosen Charleston as a place I would possibly like to relocate. Any advice on where to live with affordable ($700-$800) rent? Apartment complexes, places to find apartment listings?

-What "suburbs" around Charleston are best for a young woman of my age? I'm not particularly interested in nightlife, just shopping, a safe neighborhood, close to beaches... You know, the necessities!!

-Is there a presence of architecture firms/interior design businesses? Basically, do I have a chance of finding a job?!?

-Any other information I may need to know? I will be visiting the area in a couple of weeks, and I'm very excited...I appreciate any advice you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 05:32 AM

55 posts, read 250,920 times
Quote:
-I've basically chosen Charleston as a place I would possibly like to relocate. Any advice on where to live with affordable ($700-$800) rent? Apartment complexes, places to find apartment listings?

-What "suburbs" around Charleston are best for a young woman of my age? I'm not particularly interested in nightlife, just shopping, a safe neighborhood, close to beaches... You know, the necessities!!

-Is there a presence of architecture firms/interior design businesses? Basically, do I have a chance of finding a job?!?

-Any other information I may need to know? I will be visiting the area in a couple of weeks, and I'm very excited...I appreciate any advice you may have!
Tara,

So sorry for the late reply, but I am a newcomer to this forum. I actually found your post after doing a Google search for something else.

There are some pretty affordable places here to live because of the student population, but you probably won't find the most affordable things downtown or in Mt. Pleasant. Those are the most expensive areas. I live in Mt. Pleasant and can attest to it.

However, you should be able to find an apartment in the price range you listed (1 BR in Mt. Pleasant, 2BR on James Island) Specific names of apartments can be found in the apartment guide books. They are pretty thorough.

As far as suburbs with shopping and proximity to the beaches, along with safety, here goes:

Mt. Pleasant offers the closes proximity to the beaches without being on the beach. Plus it offers the most Police per capita and the most upscale shopping in the area. It is the safest area by far to live. It also boasts one of the best non-denominational churches in the country. Great place to meet people.

James Island would be second as far as proximity to the beaches.

Stick with those areas and you will probably love living here. If you live in N. Charleston, Summerville, Hanahan, or almost anywhere else, you may not like it so much.

There are lots of Archeticture firms and interior design firms. As you probably know, there is not a legal requirement to be licensed to do interior design here in SC. But if you are licensed, then you may have a leg up. My best friend's wife was an interior designer prior to having two children. Perhaps she could be a good contact for you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bill Nixon

Old 06-23-2007, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 58,638 times
The price range you listed is great for the James Island & West Ashley areas of Charleston!! Both of those places are close to the downtown shopping areas & nightlife so it would be a good place for you to live. It is not hard finding a job in Charleston at all. I moved away for a year & just recently moved back. I found a job my first week back!! I work as an administrative assistant for a big law firm. Good Luck!!!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 8,184 times
We also are wanting to move to the Charleston area, it is my husband, myself and our 22 year old daughter and 1 year old grandson. We would like to find a family friendly suburb that is safe and affordable. We also are looking for jobs. I am a certified paralegal and my husband is a licensed HVAC tech. Anybody have any advice?

Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,006 times
Many "regulars" on this forum have given this advice to others in your situation.... Get jobs here **before** you make the move here!! There are many job websites that list positions in the greater Charleston area. One is:
https://jobs.scworks.org/
Good luck!!

Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Many "regulars" on this forum have given this advice to others in your situation.... Get jobs here **before** you make the move here!! There are many job websites that list positions in the greater Charleston area. One is:
https://jobs.scworks.org/
Good luck!!
Good advice...

Old 12-12-2011, 06:46 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Yup -- before I would make the financial and physical commitment of moving I would make sure I had a job.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davistk View Post
We also are wanting to move to the Charleston area, it is my husband, myself and our 22 year old daughter and 1 year old grandson. We would like to find a family friendly suburb that is safe and affordable. We also are looking for jobs. I am a certified paralegal and my husband is a licensed HVAC tech. Anybody have any advice?
It is hard to recommend a place if you don't have a place of employment. Location and options are very dependent on places of employment.

Like the others said.....land a job first. For your husband, I'd call HVAC franchises (like One Hour Heating and Air) or local independently owned companies and see if they have anything available. I have a feeling you have to seek out those jobs and not wait for them to appear in employment data bases.

We relocated for a job and love it. No regrets. We've been here 5 months (my husband was here almost a year before we joined him).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area