Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,560 times

Advertisements

I read on this forum that Blackbaud and Benefitfocus have relatively low salaries with a lot of "burn and churn." I'm currently looking for an entry-level software engineer position (recent graduate) and interested in the Charleston area. I would like to believe that those comments are not accurate because I have heard wonderful things about both companies. Any comments about what to expect for an entry level salary in addition to work life at either company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 15,070 times
I know people that work for both company. I'm also a recent graduate, and initially I was looking for a software engineering job, but gave up on the Charleston area to take a web development job in Greenville, SC. As for salary, I believe they're in the 40-50k range. I never interviewed with Blackbaud, but EVERY other company I interviewed with said the same thing about them. They work you to death and have a high employee turnover rate.

I would have loved to move to Charleston, but I felt it wouldn't be the best career move because they are mainly a tourist city, and the software jobs are lacking.

Do you have any .NET experience? If you do, I could refer you to a couple companies that I received offers from but did not accept (I realized I wanted to do web work, not software).

Old 03-03-2007, 04:22 PM

71 posts, read 366,602 times
Blackbaud and Benefit Focus may be fine places to work, but I have heard less than stellar things about them. I'm one of those who mentioned their reputation for "burn and churn". I've never worked for either company however, so I cannot comment from experience.
I work for a smaller shop (~20 developers) and we're often looking for programmers, particularly those with .NET or Java ME experience. PM me if you want more info.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 16,471 times
Yes, Blackbaud has relatively low salaries and it is a 'burn and churn' shop where they work you to death.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 PM

20 posts, read 85,238 times
Google is building a data center in the Goose Creek area and is set to open in late 2008. There are a few job openings listed at Google Berkeley County Data Center and more will be posted as time goes on. Being a data center I don't know if they'll have any software engineer positions, but you never know with Google.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,252 times
Thumbs up .net job

Thank you for the below information.

I am software engineer currently looking for job near in and around Charleston. I have 5 years of exp in programming using Microsoft technologies. My salary expectation is not that high. Can any one refer me to get a job? //pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...ons/icon14.gif

Old 11-12-2009, 06:10 PM

110 posts, read 780,195 times
Litsonjose

I just sent you a private message with information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area