U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 02:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 16,583,117 times

Advertisements

They may try but they will never succeed....
Rate this post positively

Old 09-11-2011, 03:16 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,545,729 times
It really seems to come down to people seeing what they are looking for. I grew up in Southern California, when new comers arrive expecting to see shallowness, so that's what they see. I spent 15 years listening to new comers complain about the liberal grunge, because that was what they were looking for. Now I'm here and I hear about people expecting racial bias. They are certainly going to find it, because it's what they are looking for. In each case I can find any of that in any of those locations if I look for it, especially if I attribute perfectly benign behavior to more insidious characteristics. Coming from my (in my opinion) unbiased viewpoint people seem to be pretty much the same wherever I have gone, with only superficial differences. If people spent less time looking for dark explanations for every look or comment they might realize how much they misinterpret.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 PM

15 posts, read 65,435 times
Well said roxanneself...

Old 09-18-2011, 04:23 AM

2,467 posts, read 1,967,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
I have family in Goose Creek, Bowman and Columbia. I am in a bi-racial relationship. My husband is 1/2 african american. I found the racism in SC to be horrible. We caught the most from african american women and caucasian men. Just going to Wal-Mart was stressful. I live in Baltimore where no one even notices, because inter-racial dating/marriages are so common. I would hate to have a mixed child down there, they wouldn't be accepted by anyone.
Nonsense. You're crazy.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:27 AM

2,467 posts, read 1,967,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DThompson20 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife and I are considering moving to the Charleston area but if the transplants are trying to transform the area into anything remotely similar to the North East then I will stay here in Texas. Thanks for the heads up!

Northerners love to pretend that they have no problem or bias with race. Baloney. The South is far more congenial and laid back. The North is the nexus of racial hate and all sorts of other bigotry in America. Just look at the way they treat anyone who is in the "wrong" political party.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:31 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,070,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Northerners love to pretend that they have no problem or bias with race. Baloney. The South is far more congenial and laid back. The North is the nexus of racial hate and all sorts of other bigotry in America. Just look at the way they treat anyone who is in the "wrong" political party.
Judgemental much? I've found that racism and political acceptance isn't "Northern" or "Southern". Racial tension can differ even within one city/town/state. A friend of mine, who is in a bi-racial relationship, just drove through Mississippi and felt extremely uncomfortable and unwelcomed when they stopped to get a bite to eat. I bet you that there are towns in Mississippi she could have gone to that would not have given her that same vibe. I've also known parents not allowing their children to ride the school bus because there were too many black children on the bus (rural upstate SC). It wasn't because there were bus problems or violence....it was because the children were black and their children were white. I've heard Northerners and Southerns spew words of prejudice/racism....it isnt' just whites saying it about blacks...it goes the other way, as well. You can't compare Burlington, VT with Boston, MA, no more than you can compare Charleston, SC with Atlanta, GA, no more than you can compare Southern and Northern. If you were to live in VT and then SC....you'd definitely feel the difference in racial tension because of the racial diversity. It isn't because Northerns or Southerners are more racist.

With all that being said, I can say the places I've lived MOST/MAJORITY of people are accepting of people of all races, religion, and political belief....both Southern and Northern States.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 15,512 times
They may try what? The US is the EXTREMELY racist country in the 'so-call 1st World'! Yes, it is not isolated to just the South; however, the South is the most IGNORANT and therefore the RACISM more pervasive. Do NOT tolerate RACISM. If I see it happening around me, whoever is dishing it will get an earful. It is DESPICABLE that in 2011 we (Americans) are still dealing with this HORRIFIC American DISGRACE! Get educated people! There are decent and disgusting people in all ethnicity; it is not exclusive to one race. Duhhhhhhhhhh!

Last edited by Adrian Kasey Anusitz; 09-27-2011 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Forgot semi-colon. :-)!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
They may try but they will never succeed....
They may try what? The US is the EXTREMELY racist country in the 'so-call 1st World'! Yes, it is not isolated to just the South; however, the South is the most IGNORANT and therefore the RACISM more pervasive. Do NOT tolerate RACISM. If I see it happening around me, whoever is dishing it will get an earful. It is DESPICABLE that in 2011 we (Americans) are still dealing with this HORRIFIC American DISGRACE! Get educated people! There are decent and disgusting people in all ethnicity; it is not exclusive to one race. Duhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
It really seems to come down to people seeing what they are looking for. I grew up in Southern California, when new comers arrive expecting to see shallowness, so that's what they see. I spent 15 years listening to new comers complain about the liberal grunge, because that was what they were looking for. Now I'm here and I hear about people expecting racial bias. They are certainly going to find it, because it's what they are looking for. In each case I can find any of that in any of those locations if I look for it, especially if I attribute perfectly benign behavior to more insidious characteristics. Coming from my (in my opinion) unbiased viewpoint people seem to be pretty much the same wherever I have gone, with only superficial differences. If people spent less time looking for dark explanations for every look or comment they might realize how much they misinterpret.

The US is the EXTREMELY racist country in the 'so-call 1st World'! Yes, it is not isolated to just the South; however, the South is the most IGNORANT and therefore the RACISM more pervasive. Do NOT tolerate RACISM. If I see it happening around me, whoever is dishing it will get an earful. It is DESPICABLE that in 2011 we (Americans) are still dealing with this HORRIFIC American DISGRACE! Get educated people! There are decent and disgusting people in all ethnicity; it is not exclusive to one race. Duhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,627,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Kasey Anusitz View Post
sorry mate, but britain is just as racist, so is germany, france and spain. Not sure where you received the info that the US is the most racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area