Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 06:47 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Techgeek, did you work at MUSC in the early 90s? This event took place in the spring of 1993. Actually I am still in touch with one of my classmates. She could confirm but of course you wouldn't believe her either. Only positive statements on this forum are applauded; negative ones are summarily rejected.
It was actually the early 2000's but organizational culture does not change that much that quickly. If you said you were there in the 60's maybe but less than 10 years isn't enough time to warrant the difference between your experience and mine.

And to be fair, I have been familiar with the organizational culture at MUSC since 89 or 90 when my mother started working there and had experiences very similar to mine.

Some of her experiences in the early 90's (91 or 92) are as follows.

On one occasion, a black coworker told her that her skin was "milky" and that usually meant that she had been overweight at some point in her life. Mom didn't respond (she's not a confrontational person) and so the coworker proceeded to repeat her statement about Mom to everyone else in the office. No reaction from management whatsoever.

Mom was the only single woman in the office she worked in (after she and Dad split up) and her coworkers, none of whom were white, invented an imaginary relationship between her and one of the maintenance workers who came to the office on a regular basis. Not only did they routinely pester her about her non existent love of this man but they even went so far as to make up a song which they sang every time he left the office. Again, management let it slide.

On another occasion, she was invited to a birthday party being held for one of her black coworkers. The party was in the evening and kind of far away so she made arrangements with her friend to stay at her home that night after the party was over and to come home in the morning. Imagine my surprise when Mom pulled into the driveway around 8 pm that night. I asked her why she came home early and she said that she was the only white party guest and that the others were basically treating her like a servant or a slave (always sending her to get things from the kitchen or clean up messes they made).

Assuming that I give you the benefit of the doubt on this one and agree that what you claim did, in fact, happen, I would have to label it as an isolated incident not indicative of the culture of the institution because of what my mother and I both experienced there.

Frankly, if it did happen, I would be surprised if the students in question were not quietly dismissed from the program or required to take sensitivity training in order to stay.

I have always said that MUSC is a great place to go for treatment but I would not want to work there again and this is why. There is a major double standard when it comes to discrimination and harassment. I never had a leg to stand on had I complained about the treatment I received and Mom would only have been able to complain successfully if it was a white man harassing her.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:01 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Assuming that I give you the benefit of the doubt on this one and agree that what you claim did, in fact, happen, I would have to label it as an isolated incident not indicative of the culture of the institution because of what my mother and I both experienced there.

Frankly, if it did happen, I would be surprised if the students in question were not quietly dismissed from the program or required to take sensitivity training in order to stay.
I have no idea what became of the students who said this. I've often wondered. This was during graduation week for us (not the medical school, but the College of Health-Related Professions.) I know the chairwoman who allowed the students to skip the assembly was terminated within a year or two, but she never appeared to me to be prejudiced in any way. Perhaps it was a way for her to deal with obvious troublemakers. Maybe it made her job easier, I can't say.

It isn't that I am not familiar with S.C. My mother comes from a large family and was born and raised in Florence, S.C. We visited our cousins every summer in the 60's, and yes those were not very good times as I recall. But when looking at a new Honda in Florence around '92, before I went to Charleston, the salesman actually told my dad and me that the car was made by "an all-white workforce in Ohio." I guess the point I am trying to make is that those kind of statements are surprising (and a little shocking) to a Northerner. But these aren't made-up stories, just what happened and why I didn't want to stay. I truly hope times have changed, but I do wonder what values these people have taught their own children.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Default Inner city comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Okay, now go into an all-black inner city neighborhood in NYC or Chicago or DC and go into a nightclub and order a drink. Make it a point to complain about the service. See what happens to you.

I can guarantee you that there are some cities in New Jersey and Maryland, and California, where you, as a white person, would be dead within 15 minutes of your arrival.
I'm *from* NYC. Lived on 4th street between Aves A & B for years. Never had an issue. If you go looking for trouble, you are sure to find it.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:30 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,507 times
Quote:
But when looking at a new Honda in Florence around '92, before I went to Charleston, the salesman actually told my dad and me that the car was made by "an all-white workforce in Ohio."
that's really horrible. I certainly hope you and your father immediately spoke up and told this sales man exactly how you felt about such a statement. By nature I am opinionated and can be blunt, so maybe I'm biased, but IMO people who don't speak up when faced with this kind of thing are a huge part of the reason that this kind of behavior continues to happen.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Okay, now go into an all-black inner city neighborhood in NYC or Chicago or DC and go into a nightclub and order a drink. Make it a point to complain about the service. See what happens to you.

I can guarantee you that there are some cities in New Jersey and Maryland, and California, where you, as a white person, would be dead within 15 minutes of your arrival.
Here is a story that happened to me.
My boss at work needed one of my co-workers who went home already to come in the next day, on his off day, as someone was calling out. No one had his number, but I knew his son. I found his son who drove me to where his father was hanging out. It was a local bar, I walked right in. I did not notice at the time, realized this afterwards that everyone was looking at me when I walked in and walked to the back where I saw him. I walked over to him and said Hi... no response from him at all ? I again said Hi, again no response. He just looked at me with a glaze sort of. I then realized he did not want to acknowledge me, me being white and the only white in the place. I understood and simply walked out and told the son to tell his dad to please come in the next day. Was no big deal to me, but understood the position he was put in.

Another story.
A friend was coming to visit me at work. It took him awhile. I asked what took him so long ? I told him about the short cut through the park to walk through the park. He said he went to the park and took a look and said no way, he will go the long way and walk around. I asked him why ? He said a bunch of white kids were hanging out and he was not looking for trouble (he is Puerto Rican). I said DAMN, racism so sucks. Whites do not realize it from a non-white prospective.

Another story (yes I have a lot... experienced a lot
A long story, but will make it short.
I went to a wedding and out of the entire maybe 300 people, I was the only white person at the all black wedding (my date was black and it was her friend getting married). I felt fine and everyone around me felt fine, no looks, no stares, nothing. We were all enjoying the wedding as people should. But if it were the other way, one black at an all white wedding, stares, looks, whispering etc. I could imagine shamefully.

Shame the world is not color blind. Because of a little DNA molecule one is black and one is white and it can dictate your entire life. The color of ones skin as a black friend told once, "Is such a waste of time!" I could not have put it better.

I know prejudism first hand. Outward nothing shows as for example someones black skin. I am Jewish and as people say, I do not look it, sound like it, act it etc. I surprise people all the time. Because of this I get to hear quite a lot from people and their comments (not knowing, thinking I am). Plus both my Parents during WWII were years in concentration camps... my Father had a number on his arm. So do not tell me about the effects of prejudism. I judge everyone equal, until they give me a reason not to.

Ok... I got off track... oops

Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 AM

Default Speaking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
that's really horrible. I certainly hope you and your father immediately spoke up and told this sales man exactly how you felt about such a statement. By nature I am opinionated and can be blunt, so maybe I'm biased, but IMO people who don't speak up when faced with this kind of thing are a huge part of the reason that this kind of behavior continues to happen.

No, my dad was very non-confrontational, and I am as well. I know we should have spoken up, but we did not. We just sort of looked at each other and both of us were probably thinking "Did he really say that?" We were mostly just amused then.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
. I am Jewish and as people say, I do not look it, sound like it, act it etc. I surprise people all the time.
That is because people are ignorant and actually think that Jewish people look, sound and act a certain way, which couldn't be further from the truth. Here's a funny story for you:

I drove a school bus for many years in NYC and Long Island. People won't charter the buses for all kinds of events. One such event was a bar mitzvah, where an orthodox Jewish man chartered the bus to take all the little kids to some restaurant for the festivities. On the way back, the bus died at a stop light in Great Neck, near Spinney Hill, which was the "black" section of Manhasset back then. It was maybe 10 degrees out and the only place open was a bar (all black and very rough-and-tumble looking folks in there) so me and the father went in to make a phone call to the bus company for help. He was of course wearing a yarmulke and had the beard and black clothes and all, and the phone was way in the back of the place....talk about uncomfortable! Well, they not only let us use the bar phone instead of the pay phone, but let all the kids come in to stay warm while we waited for another bus to come, served us coffee, and everyone there kept on playing pool and whatnot. Expected the worst and was treated just fine.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,389 times
Quote:
Expected the worst and was treated just fine.
Exactly
(nice story, glad you posted it)

Stereotyping and judging a book by its cover.... leads us astray.
Then we get surprised over something that is simply moral and 'normal'!
Hope people learn when 'normalcy' occurs after they get over the shock of it

People are people after all.
There are simply 'characters' in all walks of life.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:05 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
An Italian American preferring to live in an Italian American neighborhood, doesn't make them racist. Means they like living among other Italians. What you are saying is illogical. By the by I am Black. lmao

Lmao Wouldn't bother me at all as I dont care about such things. White folk liking me is neither here nor there.
I'm glad you don't care. That does not change the fact that there is a metric crap ton of racism and prejudice around here.

Whites against blacks.
Blacks against whites.
Southern against Northern.
Homers against 'tourists'.

All the time. Everyday.

As has been outlined on more than one occasion in this thread and others.
It does not pay to be a straight white man in this region.

Just because a black poster says they don't care and a white poster says he is a 'victim' of 'reverse discrimination' (which btw does not exist .. discrimination is discrimination is discrimination) ... the two do not negate each other.

It happens here everyday. You can ignore it if you want but it won't go away.

Is racism bad in Charleston? It is as bad here, if not worse, than it is anywhere else.

Whether it is physical or verbal or psychological intimidation and/or giving a general feeling of 'you are not wanted here' .... this place REEKS of it. Black, White or Mexican.

I will close my input in this thread with this ... you can make your life and experience in Charleston what you want to make of it. There are definitely nice, hospitable people here that will make you feel welcome. My experience here has been more good than bad ... but I have had my share of the bad here.

EDIT : The fact that this thread is THREE YEARS OLD and STILL running strong ... not because of people disagreeing but because of people presenting example after example of racism/prejudice .... speaks volumes.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:22 AM

428 posts, read 831,592 times
Yes , of course I am supposed to live my life butt hurt cause someone doesn't like me for whatever reason. How could I thought different?I will change myself for here on out and be what a black person in America is properly , a victim. Excsuse my insolence bull dog I won't forget my place again. Oh an you are Greek and simply like living amongst other Greek for cultural reasons? I'm sorry sir, I'm going to have to castigate you as a dirty racist, which of course is on par with pedeophilia!, your views do not fit with in the totalerian political correctness frame work we are seeking to impose upon all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
I'm glad you don't care. That does not change the fact that there is a metric crap ton of racism and prejudice around here.

Whites against blacks.
Blacks against whites.
Southern against Northern.
Homers against 'tourists'.

All the time. Everyday.

As has been outlined on more than one occasion in this thread and others.
It does not pay to be a straight white man in this region.

Just because a black poster says they don't care and a white poster says he is a 'victim' of 'reverse discrimination' (which btw does not exist .. discrimination is discrimination is discrimination) ... the two do not negate each other.

It happens here everyday. You can ignore it if you want but it won't go away.

Is racism bad in Charleston? It is as bad here, if not worse, than it is anywhere else.

Whether it is physical or verbal or psychological intimidation and/or giving a general feeling of 'you are not wanted here' .... this place REEKS of it. Black, White or Mexican.

I will close my input in this thread with this ... you can make your life and experience in Charleston what you want to make of it. There are definitely nice, hospitable people here that will make you feel welcome. My experience here has been more good than bad ... but I have had my share of the bad here.

EDIT : The fact that this thread is THREE YEARS OLD and STILL running strong ... not because of people disagreeing but because of people presenting example after example of racism/prejudice .... speaks volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area