U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:10 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,331,076 times

Advertisements

burr, you call people like these race baiters...

totally untrue characterization of the south, the south has had to work harder on improving it's reputation that any other region but you will still always have your ignorant race baiters sitting around poking and proding people

I've lived from here to NYC and I can tell you from my personal experience that the NE is far more racist than the south

these race baiters need to find another hobby
Rate this post positively

Old 12-25-2008, 11:52 AM

913 posts, read 1,534,799 times
You're right Mek, sorry, gullible me fell for it. With the numbers of people migrating down this way, they ought to worry more about the muggy heat and mosquitoes than any race hating. I don't know if these folk realize just how vital relations with your local a/c mechanic is versus something like racism.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:50 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,451,416 times
I have lived in OH (23 years), PA (1 year), GA (2 years), and SC (24 years) and I see many more interracial friendships here in SC than in any other state I have lived. In OH, the "N" word was common and whites would not live next door to a black family (and vice-versa), where here on James Island and Johns Island whites and blacks are friends, attend one another's weddings and funerals, cry together, laugh together, share vegetables from each other's gardens, talk about world and local affairs, etc. Here, there is a history together and the healing has created a bond between the races...a bond that most outsiders wouldn't understand.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:25 PM

416 posts, read 1,573,381 times
i have lived all over New England, NYC, the West Coast, and the Rocky Mountains... and i do truly feel people here are more predjudice. more so then even rural areas of the rockies which also has it''s problems with intolerance. i have been here a few months and have heard numerous comments from my neighboors, other parents, and just people out and about which really seem inappropriate. i am admitting that it maybe is not blatant racism...not violent, not direct...but defiantly i have heard more prejudice statements here then anywhere else i have lived. why do people think this is so generalized. no one is saying everyone here is prejudice, or that there are no interracial relationships. stop looking to create a debate for the sake of fighting. all i am saying is in my own persoanly experience, i have overheard and been directly told numerous things i find inappropiate and i know would be completly unacceptable other places around the country. purely an observation. of course there are good honest humble peaceful people here. they are everywhere. but i do feel there is more intolerance here then other areas i have lived in, and it seems more social acceptable to discuss these things assuming others feel the same way. it's one of the reasons i am having a hard time down here. i do not want my children to learn this intolerance.

Last edited by wildwoodflower; 12-25-2008 at 10:14 PM..

Old 12-25-2008, 10:00 PM

92 posts, read 162,934 times
If you race-baiting Yankees don't like it here, 95 runs both ways. Feel free to get on it. I can also attest to the Northeast being more racist than the South - and certainly more overtly racist.

The premise of this thread is a joke!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:08 PM

567 posts, read 1,435,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbeaches View Post
i have lived in oh (23 years), pa (1 year), ga (2 years), and sc (24 years) and i see many more interracial friendships here in sc than in any other state i have lived. In oh, the "n" word was common and whites would not live next door to a black family (and vice-versa), where here on james island and johns island whites and blacks are friends, attend one another's weddings and funerals, cry together, laugh together, share vegetables from each other's gardens, talk about world and local affairs, etc. Here, there is a history together and the healing has created a bond between the races...a bond that most outsiders wouldn't understand.

50!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:11 PM

416 posts, read 1,573,381 times
it is not a active choice for everyone to move here. i can see why locals feel northerners come in as a threat or they are not happy with them. i truly do. because who wants to see the positive aspects of an area's culture and identity change, especially if you have life long ties to it. but what alot of locals do not even think about is charleston is not every "northerners" idea of utopia. not everyone who moves here seeks it out as the place they want to come be. sometimes it just happens. life happens. it was not a choice we seeked out, it is short term we are here. so again...why can't we stop with such generalizations?
it's like on some threads everyone assumes they understand everything from every angle and they lump everyone into a catagogy and jump instead of having open dialog and a sharing of ideas and experiences. how do you expect to learn and grow that way. why is it so hard to have a civil respectful discussion? seriously.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:26 AM

7,934 posts, read 16,583,117 times
People keep using the word Racist, when they should be using the word Prejudice. There is a very large difference between the two.

If I see someone dressed like a thug, it doesn't matter whether he/she is white, black, Asian or some mix of the above, all I see is thug and I PRE judge them to be so; therefore I am prejudice towards those that dress like thugs.

Others PRE judge people by the color of their skin, the location of their genital or their years on this rock of ours.

None of these prejudices are racist; they are just a culmination of ones history and experiences. If you look at an elementary school play ground you can see this, look at the Kindergarten kids and they all play together and think nothing of it, then watch as the day goes on and the different grades come onto the play ground and you will see as the children get older the more segregated they get.

Race baiting as Knife has pointed out is pointless and does nothing but promote more prejudice.

Last edited by OleTomCat; 12-26-2008 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Formating issues

Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,391,002 times
Firstly what's with all the posts such as "is there racism", "a liberal town in the middle of nowhere" and "a gay friendly place" or "predominately such and such neighborhoods". That's all there seems to be on city-data, somewhat of a dysfunctional virtual society. There's racism to be found everywhere and people simply just need to respect each other more.

That said Charleston is a very diverse region, that includes not only along racial lines, but those that grew up in SC, those that moved down from NY and those that moved up from FL, amongst transplants from all over the world. For the most part the biggest divide would be along economic lines, there's certainly a different vibe in Charleston, SC vs Upstate, SC. You'll find a $5,000,000 mansion along the beach and 10 miles up the road you'll find a $100,000 shack, but that's how all the country generally is.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,451,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
50!
Geez...I just gave myself away!!! (But does it matter that I'm a young 50?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area