U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,021,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
Hey Snyder is not a Jewish name........... well not to me and I have been around

Origin perhaps German............. but no way Jewish or Jewish sounding............ cancel that concern
Oy contrair mon bubbula, I know some Jewish Snyders.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 PM

817 posts, read 1,909,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Oy contrair mon bubbula, I know some Jewish Snyders.
key word is 'some'

I also know 'some' Smiths that are Jewish (used to be Schmidt in the Fatherland)

Old 07-02-2014, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,274 times
Default interacial dating

hi i am thinking about moving to charleston area i am a white lady and i have mixed children and only date blk men was wondering how tolerated this is i have family in alabama which i would not move to for this reason any advice would be great.. please reserve yourself from making negative comments about my choice of who i date

Old 07-02-2014, 01:07 PM

547 posts, read 1,138,636 times
quit worrying what other people think about your decisions. This is a really stupid thread that you just rehashed

Old 07-02-2014, 03:27 PM

10,541 posts, read 13,109,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes65802 View Post
hi i am thinking about moving to charleston area i am a white lady and i have mixed children and only date blk men was wondering how tolerated this is i have family in alabama which i would not move to for this reason any advice would be great.. please reserve yourself from making negative comments about my choice of who i date
The vast majority of people really don't care who you date. You can never rule out the possibility of some idiot having something to say no matter where you live.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:33 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,777,859 times
People need to quit looking for reasons to be offended and just go about your business.

If someone isn't nice to you, it's not because you're black, white, green, whatever. It's probably because that person is just a Dbag.

Breathe in, breathe out, move on.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:34 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,646,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
People need to quit looking for reasons to be offended and just go about your business.

If someone isn't nice to you, it's not because you're black, white, green, whatever. It's probably because that person is just a Dbag.

Breathe in, breathe out, move on.
True in many cases, but to generalize and lump all experiences together shows ignorance.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM

3,442 posts, read 3,948,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
True in many cases, but to generalize and lump all experiences together shows ignorance.
True on both sides of the fence...

Old 07-05-2014, 11:47 PM

6,482 posts, read 5,788,181 times
I go to cofc and Im in an interracial relationship and have no problems. People may stare here and there, but idgaf. But I havent had any real issues anywhere around Chucktown. Most people see it as perfectly normal now.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 AM

13 posts, read 53,966 times
Talking God is good and I am moving out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
I have family in Goose Creek, Bowman and Columbia. I am in a bi-racial relationship. My husband is 1/2 african american. I found the racism in SC to be horrible. We caught the most from african american women and caucasian men. Just going to Wal-Mart was stressful. I live in Baltimore where no one even notices, because inter-racial dating/marriages are so common. I would hate to have a mixed child down there, they wouldn't be accepted by anyone.
I have lived in Charleston for 2 years and I have to tell you, it has been the worse experience of my life. When we started considering transferring here and looking for feedback about the Charleston area, every single person who we knew visited the area (as tourists) had pretty good things to say about "the touristic areas". Once we moved the story turned into a shocking reality. I am Hispanic and my husband is Black and I agree with the previous statement that most opposition comes from African American as well as white women. There is A LOT of jealousy and ignorance in this place and it comes from both whites and blacks. If you are a professional who is also a minority GET ready, you are not going to have it easy. I frequently shop at Whole Foods in Mt. Pleasant and I remember one time when this white older lady started following me with her eyes as I passed by her shopping cart, which happened to have her purse in it...and I always dress very professional and classy! Even going to the supermarket is drama even if you are always well dressed and look sharp! Everything about this place is backward, the culture, the mentality and how the government does things, EVERYTHING! There is NOT diversity in the public sector either, you will find that all managers in stores are white. Is like going back in time to the 1970-1980. I call it the "quiet racism".

The only "positive" I have experienced about the area is that there is a fair amount of traffic if you compare it with other bigger cities, houses are "cheap" (only in the rural areas), it is quiet here and there is a lot of outdoor activities you can do like fishing, hunting, etc. (you know the country stuff) There are a couple festivals that happen every year and some worth visiting county parks.

Night life....the best night life here is called hanging out in bars, mostly downtown Charleston. Honestly, I went there a couple times and I could not see a single Black or Hispanic person among the crowd. Even if you try to ignore the fact that you are the "weird thing" among the crowd, people make an effort to remind you. You get a lot of looks....I always wondered if in their minds they were asking...what are you doing here? Once you do the bars, the beaches (which are not appealing if you have seen prettier), shopping, go to the movies and walk downtown you have done mostly all there is to do.

Most outsiders I met who stated that love Charleston are white. Probably the people answering questions here are also white. They really don't understand what I am talking about since they are not in my skin. So...please do not get mislead by this forum. There is a group of people here that dedicate their time to counterfeit every single negative comment other people post about the Charleston area. Just read after my comment and you will see what I am talking about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area