U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:02 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,647,929 times

Advertisements

I'm from NC, and I'm living in SC...I know quite a few UN-educated people. Most (read 'most'...not ALL) people are open minded about such things. I just think some people involved in mixed-race couples are so self-conscious about their own relationship that they are paranoid of other's "prejudice".
Rate this post positively

Old 02-01-2009, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,102 times
well i could tell you that i dont like it here. i have been here and i am ready to move back up north to PA

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 AM

7,934 posts, read 16,583,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto_22 View Post
well i could tell you that i dont like it here. i have been here and i am ready to move back up north to PA
26 W to 95 N.....

Enjoy the snow....

Old 02-02-2009, 09:07 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto_22 View Post

Well, Alberto...care to elaborate?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:08 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,627,013 times
Its only paranoia if one has nothing to point to, but as an black person who grew up in SC, I have experienced it enough times that its not paranoia, but a real issue of concern

Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,558 times
SC is the far most racist place I know they are low down racist here, and they are very low down!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:29 PM

45 posts, read 72,554 times
My wife and I were house-hunting in Charleston two weeks ago. We are an interracial couple and never once felt uncomfortable. To be sure, if you are from the North people say some slightly off-color remarks (pun intended, I guess) that you might not hear in NY, PA or MA, but there was no malice in any of it. In point of fact, I have never felt so welcome so quickly in a city.

Maybe other parts of the Charleston area are different, but walking around Charleston as an interracial couple was less uncomfortable than walking around Boston, for instance - where my brother (a geophysicist with a six figure income) was told that he and his girlfriend would not be served at a bar near the Boston Gardens after catching a Bruins game...or me being spat on and called a traitor by an African American woman while walking in Harlem with my girlfriend at the time.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:48 PM

7,934 posts, read 16,583,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovenit145 View Post
SC is the far most racist place I know they are low down racist here, and they are very low down!!!
Just what government school did you go to?

Please when making a post, try not to murder the English language.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:12 PM

870 posts, read 1,902,588 times
Hey look! A racism thread from like a year ago!

Yes racism and prejudice exist here. They exist everywhere else too but for the sake of full disclosure they exist here.

Black people get called the N word and White people get called the C word (no not that one the other less offensive one). Truth be told, I don't think I've met an ethnic group in Charleston that hasn't been the target of some sort of racism.

However, I have never heard of a shop closing down rather than selling something to a (insert your race here) person. I don't there's been a lynching around here in my lifetime, if I'm wrong about that then it was one isolated incident out in the country somewhere. They don't even let the Klan parade down Main Street in Summerville anymore, which is probably for the best-those guys give white folks everywhere a bad name.

Between the military, the defense contractors and the schools here we have a population made up of people from just about everywhere so it's less good ole boy down here than some would have you believe.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:34 PM

61 posts, read 122,571 times
There is an ideological racism in my home state of California , in that if you are conservative the left tries to deem you intellectually inferior or simply put they call you stupid . Which of coarse is a reflection on there on very narrow prospective of people with views different from theirs . Here in the Charleston area , I honestly have seen a very tolerant , multi cultural society similar to some cities I have visited in Europe . I am sure there are some under currents of racism here but you have that to a degree everywhere . I feel this area is stereotyped in a negative light because of it's past but I have seen many more interracial couples here than I did in California .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area