U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2010, 10:16 AM
 
Location: North Charleston, SC
93 posts, read 205,246 times
Reputation: 63

Advertisements

Biracial relationships here don't seem to be a problem. But then I haven't seen very many mixed couples around here. People here usually wouldn't say anything, or openly react, anyway. It wouldn't be polite. European & African descended folk in Charleston might talk about their opposition to interracial couples, or any racial issue, around people of their own ilk but not in mixed company. I teach a literature class at a local college, where my students are evenly mixed between whites and blacks, mostly from the North Area. When issues of race come up in the classroom it's often difficult to get any kind of discussion going unless I put it into an historic context.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 03-27-2010, 09:33 PM
 
1,028 posts, read 2,965,538 times
Reputation: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1california View Post
There is an ideological racism in my home state of California , in that if you are conservative the left tries to deem you intellectually inferior or simply put they call you stupid . Which of coarse is a reflection on there on very narrow prospective of people with views different from theirs . Here in the Charleston area , I honestly have seen a very tolerant , multi cultural society similar to some cities I have visited in Europe . I am sure there are some under currents of racism here but you have that to a degree everywhere . I feel this area is stereotyped in a negative light because of it's past but I have seen many more interracial couples here than I did in California .
Ok, I try really hard to not get roped into these type of threads, especially when they are a year or so old, but you are calling liberals distaste of conservatism at all costs "racist", and there is nothing about race that even enters the frey of that equation...nuff said
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-28-2010, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
1,195 posts, read 3,331,076 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
I don't there's been a lynching around here in my lifetime, if I'm wrong about that then it was one isolated incident out in the country somewhere...
Troy Knapp The Post and Courier - 'They beat him to death. He just didn't die' - Charleston SC - postandcourier.com
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-28-2010, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Goose Creek, SC
870 posts, read 1,902,588 times
Reputation: 396
Hey now, it's only a lynching if it's white folks beating black folks...when it's black folks beating white folks it's just regular crime not hate crime because something about reverse racism and-oh screw it, I stand corrected.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-28-2010, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 16,583,117 times
Reputation: 1360
Meks, that one doesn't count since it was 16 black attackers and 2 white victims.....
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-28-2010, 03:58 PM
 
Location: S.C.
780 posts, read 1,479,408 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Hey now, it's only a lynching if it's white folks beating black folks...when it's black folks beating white folks it's just regular crime not hate crime because something about reverse racism and-oh screw it, I stand corrected.

You should stand corrected because you are wrong.

Call it lynching or whatever, this man was a victim of a heinous crime and the perpetrators should be convicted of murder. In my opinion just because he survived for 10 years does not constitute him leading a normal life. He died as a result of his injuries.

And by the way, "reverse racism" is another one of those media marketing catch phrases that people grasp without understanding that is does not exist. Whether you are black or white, you are either racist or you are not....period.

OTC, I realize there is sarcasm in your post, but this does "count".
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-28-2010, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Goose Creek, SC
870 posts, read 1,902,588 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
You should stand corrected because you are wrong.

Call it lynching or whatever, this man was a victim of a heinous crime and the perpetrators should be convicted of murder. In my opinion just because he survived for 10 years does not constitute him leading a normal life. He died as a result of his injuries.

And by the way, "reverse racism" is another one of those media marketing catch phrases that people grasp without understanding that is does not exist. Whether you are black or white, you are either racist or you are not....period.

OTC, I realize there is sarcasm in your post, but this does "count".
Apparently you failed to note the sarcasm in my post...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-28-2010, 11:01 PM
 
Location: S.C.
780 posts, read 1,479,408 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Apparently you failed to note the sarcasm in my post...
My bad. You are right. My sarcasm meter is not working too well these days!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,596 times
Reputation: 12
please reconsider I moved from nc and I am in myrtle beach s c this it the racist place ive ever lived mostly from the northerners moving down trying to fit in with the southerners
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 16,583,117 times
Reputation: 1360
No it is not the northerns trying to fit in with the southerners, there are more prejudice people in the north, they more down here and because of old stereotypes they think it is acceptable behavior. As a Damn Yankee I know this because most of my family is this way.....

Please do not confuse racism with prejudice, there is a big difference.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top