U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 03:41 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,626,441 times

Advertisements

and let me tell you, being a black southerner and living in the North, racism is just as real , just as palpable there as it down in charleston.

the thing you will get from people who dont like IR dating in both places is that people either stare or they dont acknowledge that you are even there. alot of people are not used to being looked at in the face by blacks in the south so that might still be around, but up north people will ignore you or give a rude stared equally so.

in fact i have had people in the north come up and say the craziest things in bars in NYC, Boston, Philly or didnt wish to date or even talk with a person of color. so dont worry so much about it, if you didnt have much of a problem in MB you wont have much in Charleston. Move to MTP or Daniel Island where we at least have a higher standard of living and education, it just feels more comfortable.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,626,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Well said. With both sides of my family being from the Deep South and my being born in GA but growing up in OH for 25 years then living in SC for the past 26 years, I'm in a good position to compare. You are absolutely correct - people in NW Ohio don't associate with blacks for the most part. They will claim they are not racist or prejudiced, but will say that all Southerners are. However, down here, there is a neighborly relationship between many blacks and whites - attend one another's weddings and funerals, eat together, visit, have long conversations at the Piggly Wiggly, etc. When my mom was growing up on a farm in GA in the 40's, there was a black family who lived down the road on the next farm and the two families traded crops, the men would help one another mend fences or barns, and my grandmother and the other woman would can and freeze together. I certainly did not see any of that in my 25 years in OH!
great points here. my family in Mt Pleasant has lived there since the 1700s and are the Gullah people who sew baskets. we have lived on Rifle Range Road forever with all of my family living on the entire street mixed in with White families who have lived there for as long as we can remember. we have never had troubles, we celebrate with them, help them and they help us, we look out for one another ,e tc. Other parts of the south that might not be the case but we have nothing but positive things to say and that was long before we have the yuppie condos and big box stores and housing developments. we used to go hunting and fishing and shrimping together with no problems. And that was when the churches were more segregated too, now you can find blacks and whites at church and definitely going to school together.
I dont see that same mix in alot of places in the north, its pretty scary on the Jersey shore, Boston and their suburbs, Long Island, north chicago and cincinnati and Pittsburgh. for a so call progressive part of the country there is alot of racial division and segregation.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 AM

13 posts, read 19,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I think what wild is describing is more Prejudice not racism, Bob has asked a good question and Leo has given the text book definition of the word and by the definition racism is not as prominant as most think.

People do not go around linching the local Negros, not that this hasn't happened in the past, for looking at a white girl. You do see some interacial couples, the further you get from the city the fewer you see.

The problem with interacial couples around here is that they are not accepted by either race the blacks and whites will both equally shun an interacial couple.

I think you are totally wrong TomCat. Interracial couples may not be widely accepted in all areas, but those couples are not being shunned by any means!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 PM

93 posts, read 348,050 times
Just vacationed in charleston after a lifetime of wanting to see it! What a disapointment! So gorgeous there, battery drive was worth the trip alone, BUT there was not much to do, limited variety of nightlife. I would never want to live there, maybe go once a week in the summer if I had a huge house

Old 06-17-2011, 04:19 AM

222 posts, read 387,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIZZYLIZZY1984 View Post
i am a native charlestonian. And i think it sux here. Good luck to anyone who currently lives here in chareleston or decides to move here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee77 View Post
Just vacationed in charleston after a lifetime of wanting to see it! What a disapointment! So gorgeous there, battery drive was worth the trip alone, BUT there was not much to do, limited variety of nightlife. I would never want to live there, maybe go once a week in the summer if I had a huge house
Wow, exceptionally informative.

Pat yourselves on the back for crapping on something without any explanation as to why it's so unbearable.

DIZZYLIZZY84, feel free to expand on what's so unbearable.

LeeLee77, A lack of night life? Do you go out every night? Not sure how that's a deal breaker for where you intend to live.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:51 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,450,755 times
My friends who come to visit from other places LOVE the nightlife here when I take them downtown at night. There is ALWAYS something new and fun going on in Charleston and we have quite a wide variety of pubs, clubs, bars, and lounges to go to with just about any kind of music you want to hear or dance to. What most of us appreciate is you can just drive down there, park, and walk from place to place.....then head to Kaminsky's for some dessert or coffee. There's also more than just downtown Charleston .....you can spend a whole evening on Folly, Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, West Ashley, etc. Each area has it's own flavor, so to speak.

No, sorry, can't agree with you that Charleston has NO nightlife!

LeeLee 77, you must not have gone to the right places or on the right night.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:57 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,418,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIZZYLIZZY1984 View Post
i am a native charlestonian. And i think it sux here. Good luck to anyone who currently lives here in chareleston or decides to move here.
So why do you still live here if you are so miserable? There is nothing stopping you from moving to a place you like. Obviously, you have nothing better to do but come on these boards and make stupid comments.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,545,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
So why do you still live here if you are so miserable? There is nothing stopping you from moving to a place you like. Obviously, you have nothing better to do but come on these boards and make stupid comments.
DIZZYLIZZY should leave Charleston!!!!

I'm sorry. I tried to resist. I really really did! I'm naughty and I'll go to the corner now.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,381 times
I'm a white mom with 5 black children. the racism was much worse up north, though often better hidden. we have a black prez but racism is still rampant in this country, just more hidden. charleston is a nicer city than most i've ever lived in or visited. we get treted just fine here, thank you.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,338 times
I've seen a few people here note that racism/prejudice only tends to become a problem as you get outside of Charleston. As someone who is going to be moving to the Goose Creek area in a few weeks, how far outside of Charleston are we talking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area