Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
The thing with northerners (I am one) is you always know where you stand with them, good or bad.
That can be good or bad. Sometimes people who like to speak their mind forget that others don't always want to hear what they think, unless they're asked.

And what I've noticed about a lot of Northerners is that they like to speak their mind and then act like no other opinion matters.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:47 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
That can be good or bad. Sometimes people who like to speak their mind forget that others don't always want to hear what they think, unless they're asked.

And what I've noticed about a lot of Northerners is that they like to speak their mind and then act like no other opinion matters.
I agree. Also, people who always speak their mind don't consider others' feelings. It's usually better to listen more and talk less!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:04 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,301 times
Most laughable phrase I've heard since I've been in Charleston ....

"I'm not racist .. I just don't want to live by those people."

Classic.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
That isn't racist, that is prejudice.....

Still doesn't make it right..........

Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 AM

28 posts, read 103,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Come on down Casher. It isn't cold in Charleston. You can leave your snow shovel up north!

South Carolina is a lot friendlier and more laid back than up north is. People still act civil toward one another in Charleston. You don't see a lot of the crazy crap going on down here that happens up there. I'll just be glad when all those phony liberals up there stop trying to act so sanctimonious and fake when they stereotype the South. I also hate that fake rap they lay on us about religion.
My ex-husband is white and we drove down to Georgia to attend my daughter's college graduation. We stopped at a Cracker Barrel in some little rural town in SC and I expected people to be giving us dirty looks but no one really paid us much attention. I was really surprised.

Just visiting a place is much different from living there, but I will definitely check the area out when retirement comes.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 AM

28 posts, read 103,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
This thread has been an interesting read.

I'm white, and am married to an asian woman. We plan on having children. We would very much like to live in an area where we will feel accepted.

Here, in Seattle, the city and the burbs are very much more accepting than the areas in Chicago I lived in. I mean, seriously ACCEPT people for who they are and not their color. If you haven't been here, you don't understand what it's about... even my family back home was uncomfortable me marrying a non-white woman and THEY'RE pretty tolerant for Chicagoans. Hell and high water would have had to be paid if I married a black woman, but I digress.

Given though that Boeing is hellbent on leaving this gem of a corner of the nation, mainly because of the idiotic IAM, I think maybe within about 10 years we'll see more and more jobs leave Seattle and more to right to work states like SC, and I'll be confronted with a choice.

After reading what people think passes for tolerance and acceptance ...literally being color blind (or what they think passes for it) ... I'm starting to feel that my wife and I won't be welcome. Any comments?
It's been my experience that people are more accepting of WM/AF couples than any other type of mixed relationship -- you even see WM/AF pairings on televison commercials. However, there's always some idiot that will not approve, but why should you care? Its your life, not theirs. I think that if you are in an urban area in SC with middle to upper income residents you should be just fine. Neighborhoods with large gay populations and university neighborhoods are usually pretty tolerant and often have nice inexpensive restaurants, cultural activities, etc.. The military is very integrated and neighborhoods around them tend to be accepting.

I would stay away from small backwater towns. ALWAYS visit a place before you move there and try to stay at least a week. Ask questions and look around. And of course, best of luck to you!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Hogwash. I truly doubt incident ever happened. It does help to support the "cause" though - that "let's-prove-that-Southerners-are racist" bandwagon that many are so quick to jump on.....and stay on.
Sorry, SCBeaches, this is a true story. I have no reason to lie. Yes, it was almost 20 years ago, but considering that those students were in their early 20's, what do you think they taught their children, who themselves would be 20-somethings today? How do you think hate is handed down from generation to generation?

Here's another for you, albeit from 1993: a Honda salesman made a point of telling my dad that the cars were made by "an all-white workforce in Ohio". Of course, I am *sure* that was a totally isolated incident and that man never passed that sort of prejudice to his children.

I will date myself now, but I was fired from a job in Louisville, KY around 1974 (I know, off topic and too old...this would NEVER happen now, right?) for serving a black man a drink. I grew up in NYC, and never gave it a second thought. That's the difference....and if you think 20 or 30 years makes a difference, then you are naive...or maybe more educated and tolerant than the people I encountered in my years in the south. Perhaps it's the problem with this forum...the ones who were witness to this kind of thing want to express their opinion about what happened; the ones who are responsible for this behavior would never read this. I hope this is true, that what I experienced was an anomaly...but I have to get past the dozens of indignities and injustices I witnessed in the years I spent in SC and Kentucky, long ago by your judgement, perhaps; but not in mine.

But no, SCBeaches, sadly not "hogwash".

Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 AM

428 posts, read 831,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Most laughable phrase I've heard since I've been in Charleston ....

"I'm not racist .. I just don't want to live by those people."

Classic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
That isn't racist, that is prejudice.....

Still doesn't make it right..........
Not only is it not racist but it is perfectly fine to feel that way. Provided you aren't attacking or infringing on someones rights.
I'm surprised a Libertarian like OleTomCat would be against free association.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:01 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Not only is it not racist but it is perfectly fine to feel that way. Provided you aren't attacking or infringing on someones rights.
I'm surprised a Libertarian like OleTomCat would be against free association.
Really?

Perfectly fine to single out a race and say you don't want to live by them?

Interesting opinion on the subject.

Next time you see an African American on the street walk up to them and tell them the same thing ... "I'm not racist I just don't want to live by you people" and let me know how that works out for you.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:07 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times
I only skimmed this thread but made me think of this....

Bad language, racial humor so not work safe...

"NO IRISH"

Blazing Saddles "We Don't Want the Irish!" - YouTube

I don;'t think it would be bad, I see lots of interacial couples. I would make some jokes, but worried will offend some in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area