Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Yes , of course I am supposed to live my life butt hurt cause someone doesn't like me for whatever reason. How could I thought different?I will change myself for here on out and be what a black person in America is properly , a victim. Excsuse my insolence bull dog I won't forget my place again. Oh an you are Greek and simply like living amongst other Greek for cultural reasons? I'm sorry sir, I'm going to have to castigate you as a dirty racist, which of course is on par with pedeophilia!, your views do not fit with in the totalerian political correctness frame work we are seeking to impose upon all.
Please move along.
You insolence is neither constructive nor is it amusing.
No one said you SHOULD be offended.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 AM

259 posts, read 553,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow9713 View Post
Racisim......nationalism....classism...ignorantism ...still prevailent behind closed doors (and at times it bubbles to the surface) through out the USA and parts of the world I've seen...though I wish it wasn't so.
As stated before and still applies

Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Why do you feel it necessary to launch a personal attack and call me a liar? I thought personal attacks were prohibited on this forum. Where are your famous Southern manners? You don't know me, and you were not present...and I was not the only one both shocked and dismayed by what occurred. Why do you assume it cannot be true? "The lady (or man) doth protest too much, methinks."

I'm sorry I called you a liar. Please forgive me for not expressing myself a little more diplomatically.

But, it sounds to far fetched for that date. Maybe you meant the Citadel in 1860.

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 11-01-2011 at 05:58 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
I'm *from* NYC. Lived on 4th street between Aves A & B for years. Never had an issue. If you go looking for trouble, you are sure to find it.
I live in a mixed race blue collar neighborhood in Charleston SC. Half white, half black with a few Mexicans thrown in. No houses over 1400 sf in size.

We never have any problems in this neighborhood. Everyone gets along fine. And that's my point. From my perspective, things are a lot more racist and a lot more prejudiced up North than they are down here. There isn't anywhere in Charleston where I would feel unsafe going at night, except for maybe the two public housing projects. And even those two places rarely show up in the newspaper.

Despite the arrogant self-righteousness of the big city liberals who like to pretend that everything is just alright until you get as far South as the Carolinas.

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 11-01-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
Here is a story that happened to me.

Here's one story that happened to me:

In 1994 I went to Rwanda for the humanitarian relief effort during the Civil War between the Hutus and Tutsis, as a military photographer assigned to assist the UN. I photographed piles of dead bodies of women, children and old people hacked to death because of their tribal affiliations. No racism here. Everyone was black, except for the occasional Belgian Nun or French aid worker who got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. I watched the Army cleaning body parts out of the siphon hoses that supplied the water purification plant from Lake Victoria. So many body parts the lake had to be de-corpsed for about two weeks.

There are more stories I have. But the point is that America has its problems, but we have a lot to be grateful for.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
There are more stories I have. But the point is that America has its problems, but we have a lot to be grateful for.
Yes LZ we all have stories, some more severe than others (as yours). But Yes again, 100%, while we have problems, we have a lot to be grateful for. But of course depends where you are and where you are coming from and where you are situated in life etc. Some blame others rather than themselves etc. And some lose sight that America is a lot to be grateful for. My wife came all alone to the U.S. with a suitcase and $500. Determined to make it, worked as a nanny for a family 6 days a week and 7th day cleaned other peoples homes for the extra money. But in the meantime went to school and obtained an MBA in Finance/Marketing from UCONN and succeeded in corporate America.
My own Parents got off a boat in 1948 with nothing, I mean nothing. Studied english and worked hard and succeeded as well. I had it easy, I was born here But never took this country or what I had for granted.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:22 AM

428 posts, read 831,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Please move along.
You insolence is neither constructive nor is it amusing.
No one said you SHOULD be offended.
I got a chuckle out of it. Unfortunately youmviews aren't anything to laugh about. They have been been used malign many fine people.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,998 times
I grew up in New England and moved down South in 1997. I am in love with the Charleston area. Nicest people I have ever encountered in my life. I am married to a Spanish man and I am a white women. We have never been looked at in any way other then one of acceptance. In Massachusetts I was jumped by a group of Puerto Ricans for being a "Lost White Girl," who happened to be walking down the street. My car broke down and I was trying to get to a McDonalds to make a call to my parents. There were certain areas up North that you learn quickly you should not go into when you are white. I love it down South because I feel free to go anywhere I choose and befriend whomever I want. My whole neighborhood gets together for festivals, chili cook offs, Halloween parades, and more. We live in Moncks Corner which would be considered an out skirt of Charleston. I know most of the people who live in my big neighborhood, up north I was lucky to know the person next door. The south is friendlier, kinder and much more relaxed. Those who consider the south ignorant and racist are the ones being ignorant. You either have never come down here to experience the culture yourself and are judging off others assumptions... Or you are ignorant to assume that because of an isolated situation that is a representation of the person who did it, not the area they are from is enough to sum up the whole area. If I had associated all Puerto Rican people with the hurt that a select few caused me, then I would be missing out on some of my best friends. My point is bad things happen everywhere, you have to be open minded and able to look past isolated situations to see the big picture. All areas of this country have amazing things to offer, if you are willing enough to look past what you have been "told." I have lived in New Hampshire, Summered in Maine, Raised in Massachusetts, Went to college in Ft.Lauderdale, Worked in Charlotte NC, and now starting a family in Charleston SC. Charleston is by far my favorite area, it is beautiful and the kindness of everyone around us makes it just feel like home. Growing up I was taught the same junk about what Southerners are like, and let me tell you that is FAR from the truth! It is beautiful down here and not just because of the actual Landscape, but because of the people who fill it!
This may be interesting for some of you, Top 10 Segregated cities... Charleston did not make the list...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...troit_Michigan

Last edited by Gamecockgirl1; 11-17-2011 at 07:03 AM..

Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
Very nice to read, thanks for taking the time to post it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockgirl1 View Post
I grew up in New England and moved down South in 1997. I am in love with the Charleston area. Nicest people I have ever encountered in my life. I am married to a Spanish man and I am a white women. We have never been looked at in any way other then one of acceptance. In Massachusetts I was jumped by a group of Puerto Ricans for being a "Lost White Girl," who happened to be walking down the street. My car broke down and I was trying to get to a McDonalds to make a call to my parents. There were certain areas up North that you learn quickly you should not go into when you are white. I love it down South because I feel free to go anywhere I choose and befriend whomever I want. My whole neighborhood gets together for festivals, chili cook offs, Halloween parades, and more. We live in Moncks Corner which would be considered an out skirt of Charleston. I know most of the people who live in my big neighborhood, up north I was lucky to know the person next door. The south is friendlier, kinder and much more relaxed. Those who consider the south ignorant and racist are the ones being ignorant. You either have never come down here to experience the culture yourself and are judging off others assumptions... Or you are ignorant to assume that because of an isolated situation that is a representation of the person who did it, not the area they are from is enough to sum up the whole area. If I had associated all Puerto Rican people with the hurt that a select few caused me, then I would be missing out on some of my best friends. My point is bad things happen everywhere, you have to be open minded and able to look past isolated situations to see the big picture. All areas of this country have amazing things to offer, if you are willing enough to look past what you have been "told." I have lived in New Hampshire, Summered in Maine, Raised in Massachusetts, Went to college in Ft.Lauderdale, Worked in Charlotte NC, and now starting a family in Charleston SC. Charleston is by far my favorite area, it is beautiful and the kindness of everyone around us makes it just feel like home. Growing up I was taught the same junk about what Southerners are like, and let me tell you that is FAR from the truth! It is beautiful down here and not just because of the actual Landscape, but because of the people who fill it!
This may be interesting for some of you, Top 10 Segregated cities... Charleston did not make the list...
America's 10 Most Segregated Cities

Old 09-28-2012, 07:30 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951
But when looking at a new Honda in Florence around '92, before I went to Charleston, the salesman actually told my dad and me that the car was made by "an all-white workforce in Ohio."
It also may have meant not made in Mexico (Nafta) or Japan, we know about those faulty Toyota breaks and recent recalls. But that was in the early 90s. So my response didn't quite cut it.

Well, this stops me from looking for real estate in Charleston or near Hilton Head, SC. Guess, Ill stick with FL. I do like the southerner's accent though. I went to the Northeast from Cali and they say I talk funny.

Disclosure: I'm bi-racial like Kim Kardashian's ex-hub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area