Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockgirl1 View Post
I grew up in New England and moved down South in 1997. I am in love with the Charleston area. Nicest people I have ever encountered in my life. I am married to a Spanish man and I am a white women. We have never been looked at in any way other then one of acceptance. In Massachusetts I was jumped by a group of Puerto Ricans for being a "Lost White Girl," who happened to be walking down the street. My car broke down and I was trying to get to a McDonalds to make a call to my parents. There were certain areas up North that you learn quickly you should not go into when you are white. I love it down South because I feel free to go anywhere I choose and befriend whomever I want. My whole neighborhood gets together for festivals, chili cook offs, Halloween parades, and more. We live in Moncks Corner which would be considered an out skirt of Charleston. I know most of the people who live in my big neighborhood, up north I was lucky to know the person next door. The south is friendlier, kinder and much more relaxed. Those who consider the south ignorant and racist are the ones being ignorant. You either have never come down here to experience the culture yourself and are judging off others assumptions... Or you are ignorant to assume that because of an isolated situation that is a representation of the person who did it, not the area they are from is enough to sum up the whole area. If I had associated all Puerto Rican people with the hurt that a select few caused me, then I would be missing out on some of my best friends. My point is bad things happen everywhere, you have to be open minded and able to look past isolated situations to see the big picture. All areas of this country have amazing things to offer, if you are willing enough to look past what you have been "told." I have lived in New Hampshire, Summered in Maine, Raised in Massachusetts, Went to college in Ft.Lauderdale, Worked in Charlotte NC, and now starting a family in Charleston SC. Charleston is by far my favorite area, it is beautiful and the kindness of everyone around us makes it just feel like home. Growing up I was taught the same junk about what Southerners are like, and let me tell you that is FAR from the truth! It is beautiful down here and not just because of the actual Landscape, but because of the people who fill it!
This may be interesting for some of you, Top 10 Segregated cities... Charleston did not make the list...
America's 10 Most Segregated Cities
Bravo, as a southerner(black)living up North(philadelphia) I am glad someone from the north can see beyond the propaganda and hate many(not all) northerners have for the south and recognizes that racism exists in all places. I have experienced more racism in my 20 years up north, than any time growing up in the south. I love my hometown of Mt pleasant, is there racism? sure, but nothing like it is in philadelphia or boston. people are generally nicers, kinder there no matter what your race. thank you again

Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
Would an interracial couple where the man was white and the woman half Hispanic half Jewish be shunned in Charleston? I'm thinking about moving there but I didn't realize that this could be an issue.

I look Hispanic and have a Jewish name. Is that "interracial"? Will no one want to be friends with us in Charleston? Will I have trouble getting hired with a Jewish name and Hispanic appearance?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Would an interracial couple where the man was white and the woman half Hispanic half Jewish be shunned in Charleston? I'm thinking about moving there but I didn't realize that this could be an issue.

I look Hispanic and have a Jewish name. Is that "interracial"? Will no one want to be friends with us in Charleston? Will I have trouble getting hired with a Jewish name and Hispanic appearance?
No issue. Ignore the exaggeration in these kinds of threads.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:07 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
no issue. Ignore the exaggeration in these kinds of threads.

x2

Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
No issue. Ignore the exaggeration in these kinds of threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
x2

Thanks, thats kind of what I figured. Thought I would run it by here to see what people would say.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:32 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,632 times
Quote:

Is that a Jewish first name or last name or both ?
just curious what a Jewish name is............ and YES I am Jewish...

I am Michael Frederick Winter.. is that a Jewish name ?
The last name Winter was never changed at Ellis Island (though Ellis Island was already closed when my parents came over by boat) the name Winter goes back to the ol' country back in Germany and is in Switzerland and Israel now as well.

I am not making fun.... just curious to what people think.

Btw I have never felt anything here racial wise... religion wise.
I have been asked for my last name... why I have no idea what it means to someone.. it is either normal How Are You or curiosity... but when I say Winter... it utters no response or look... as opposed to a friend of mine with Goldberg etc. let's say maybe.

I did get asked back home in NY quite a lot but not here.... what kind of name Winter is ??????????

I simply reply............... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................... SEASON ...........

duhhhh !!!!

and they smile and laugh

Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post

The last name Winter was never changed at Ellis Island (though Ellis Island was already closed when my parents came over by boat) the name Winter goes back to the ol' country back in Germany and is in Switzerland and Israel now as well.

I have been asked for my last name... why I have no idea what it means to someone.. it is either normal How Are You or curiosity... but when I say Winter... it utters no response or look... as opposed to a friend of mine with Goldberg etc. let's say maybe.

I did get asked back home in NY quite a lot but not here.... what kind of name Winter is ??????????

I simply reply............... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................... SEASON ...........

duhhhh !!!!

and they smile and laugh
My maiden name (Jewish parents) was Miller. My married name is easily identifiable as Irish. In my little village, which is approx. 70% Catholic, you wouldn't believe the number of anti-Semitic comments I heard over the years. And yes, I am on Long Island where you would think that sort of stupidity wouldn't still exist.

I wouldn't worry about it one bit in Charleston. There are stupid people everywhere, but they seem a lot nicer in SC than NY!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
My maiden name (Jewish parents) was Miller. My married name is easily identifiable as Irish. In my little village, which is approx. 70% Catholic, you wouldn't believe the number of anti-Semitic comments I heard over the years. And yes, I am on Long Island where you would think that sort of stupidity wouldn't still exist.
Yes I heard plenty of anti-Semitic comments, slurs etc growing up.
Was the only Heb on the block... but never heard it from any of the Italian block/neighborhood people I grew up in.
But heard it in school, work, business, etc.

I so called do not 'look' or 'act' Jewish.............. OY
So I heard stuff... them not knowing I was.
After years of people knowing me.. they thought I was German, Italian (which I could be as it is not a religion.. I actually am of German/Polish parents off the boat)
Never amazed me.......... what people said.
Ignorance is ignorance and stupidity is stupidity and slurs/comments gets passed on from parents unfortunately.
Various socio-economic conditions, levels and whether educated or not....... meant nothing to slurs, racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
There are stupid people everywhere, but they seem a lot nicer in SC than NY!
That gave me a nice laugh thanks..............

Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post

duhhhh !!!!

and they smile and laugh

I get asked my ethnicity often. I guess I look "different". I'm kind of an odd duck. My first name is a common American name and my last name is "Snyder". I think most people who have this name are Jewish. I never really think of antisemitism as an issue I have to worry about though.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I get asked my ethnicity often. I guess I look "different". I'm kind of an odd duck. My first name is a common American name and my last name is "Snyder". I think most people who have this name are Jewish. I never really think of antisemitism as an issue I have to worry about though.
Hey Snyder is not a Jewish name........... well not to me and I have been around

Origin perhaps German............. but no way Jewish or Jewish sounding............ cancel that concern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area