Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 84,058 times

Advertisements

Also I was just wondering if you could tell me about the area a little. I have heard about racism being a problem there, how bad is it? I like to interracial date from time to time and I really would like to know if you see a lot of that down there Finally how is the Nightlife there? I am thinking of moving there for a job at a news station and I just wanted to have an idea on what it is like before I come visit. I have been to Myrtle Beach (I was born in North Carolina) before and didn't have many problems when I was there so I wondered if Charleston is like that as well.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:32 PM

416 posts, read 1,633,010 times
well, i am not from the south and i am fairly new to charleston...but i can say i have defiantly noticed alot more racism here then i thought i would. and honestly, alot of it it seems people don't even realize what they are saying is offensive and if it was said up north it would be totally unacceptable on many levels. but like everywhere... it is not everyone. it just seems more widespread.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 PM

62 posts, read 323,027 times
Please define racism.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 84,058 times
Default What I mean by racism

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
  2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Racism consists in setting a preference for one race over another.
[SIZE=3]Superficially, this meaning seems to be straightforward, simple, and accurate. On careful examination however, it proves to be inadequate because of the need to deal with historical, social, and moral context in dealing with the term "racism." [/SIZE]

Old 12-23-2008, 05:41 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
I think what wild is describing is more Prejudice not racism, Bob has asked a good question and Leo has given the text book definition of the word and by the definition racism is not as prominant as most think.

People do not go around linching the local Negros, not that this hasn't happened in the past, for looking at a white girl. You do see some interacial couples, the further you get from the city the fewer you see.

The problem with interacial couples around here is that they are not accepted by either race the blacks and whites will both equally shun an interacial couple.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:29 AM

123 posts, read 571,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The problem with interacial couples around here is that they are not accepted by either race the blacks and whites will both equally shun an interacial couple.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:25 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
racism is still pretty bad, no one likes the whites... lol

you people watch too much TV and believe it, get over yourselves already...

we have a white/black president elect now, it's all over, no more excuses or blame can be thrown except at single individuals here and there of all races

Old 12-24-2008, 11:19 PM

416 posts, read 1,633,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post

you people watch too much TV and believe it, get over yourselves already...

we have a white/black president elect now, it's all over, no more excuses or blame can be thrown except at single individuals here and there of all races
what are you even talking about.

i have lived all over the country. and i do think by far the prejudice here is alot worse. ( you are right that is a better word for it, tom)

oh, and yes. go obama

Old 12-24-2008, 11:29 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I think what wild is describing is more Prejudice not racism, Bob has asked a good question and Leo has given the text book definition of the word and by the definition racism is not as prominant as most think.

People do not go around linching the local Negros, not that this hasn't happened in the past, for looking at a white girl. You do see some interacial couples, the further you get from the city the fewer you see.

This is sad. I'm from Fort Lauderdale, FL and we don't have this problem at all. South Carolina needs to catch up with the rest of the south.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:19 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,953 times
Are you people kidding me ?

I've been in SC all my life, so maybe I'm blind to what may be blatant for an outsider, but the south, including SC has had to walk the line after this racist characterization. Just for the simplicity and obvious definitions, SC (and the south in general, which to me is La., Miss, Al, Ga, SC, Ga, NC, Tenn) has no Nazi ayrian type presence, and very little KKK presence like the northwest, midwest or northern regions that has been exposed on TV and news medias. To me, this is a modern definition of racist activists or racism. SC and the south has higher percentages of non-white peoples than other parts of the nation, and thus, we have learned that money has no color, and if one is to succeed, one must get over it. I would go so far as to describe Charleston as such, although I am from the sandhills (midstate).

I have included my definition of the south with this assessment, although my experience is strictly from SC, including the south mainly from media, and lifelong personal experience. What do you all think we do when we see an interracial couple ?? Burn a cross in their yard ?? Follow 'em outta town and whup his butt ?? We aint got time for that kinda stuff anymore.

Oh, and MerryChristmas

Last edited by burr; 12-25-2008 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: forgot to wish merrychristmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area