Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 11:04 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing about new cities that could get a sports franchise. Haven’t heard Charleston mentioned in ages. I know they would be the second smallest market just ahead of Green Bay WI. But this town does have plenty of money to support it. I feel like they could have a loyal base to. Charleston is far enough away from Charlotte and Atlanta IMO. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 11:28 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Probably not. Green Bay is unique.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:50 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Charleston could but the stadium has to be one of a kind. For example I could see an NFL team but stadium has to be beach front. Something no other place or team has. We know that would never happen though.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:36 AM

309 posts, read 257,547 times
There are lots of factors against a pro/major sports league locating here. As for football, Citadel and CSU stadiums aren't exactly overflowing at every home game. Then there's the television market. Charleston's is too small to support a franchise. In all honesty, based on that criteria, the Greenville area is far more likely to land a pro football team before Charleston. But even then, the proximity to Charlotte and Atlanta is a huge hinderance to anywhere in SC getting a football team.

I think it's plausible Charleston could support a higher class of minor league baseball one day, but I don't think many people are too eager for the Riverdogs to leave. If CofC were ever to become a sustained basketball powerhouse, then maybe we'd see some interest in the NBA, but again, I'm not sure we are a large enough media market to support that.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:46 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Not to split hairs, I know you meant professional "major league" sports franchise, because Charleston already has a bunch of professional sports teams, they just all happen to be "minor league", but still professional!

Teams like the River Dogs (baseball), Stingrays (hockey) and Battery (soccer) are all professional sports teams.

Like others have mentioned, no way in H-E-Double hockey sticks does Charleston get a major league team. Green Bay is an anomaly, and have been basically grandfathered in. If they didn't have an NFL team today, there is no way they would be getting an expansion team, ever.

It looks like the Charleston-North Charleston, SC MSA is 74th in population with 813,052 people, if you look at the list of all the metroplexes ahead of them without a major league team, it will be a long wait indeed!

Old 09-16-2022, 08:50 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
There are lots of factors against a pro/major sports league locating here. As for football, Citadel and CSU stadiums aren't exactly overflowing at every home game. Then there's the television market. Charleston's is too small to support a franchise. In all honesty, based on that criteria, the Greenville area is far more likely to land a pro football team before Charleston. But even then, the proximity to Charlotte and Atlanta is a huge hinderance to anywhere in SC getting a football team.

I think it's plausible Charleston could support a higher class of minor league baseball one day, but I don't think many people are too eager for the Riverdogs to leave. If CofC were ever to become a sustained basketball powerhouse, then maybe we'd see some interest in the NBA, but again, I'm not sure we are a large enough media market to support that.
With the lack of population and being in the shadows of ATL/CLT/RDU, there is zero chance any South Carolina city could attract a major league sports franchise.

I believe the Riverdogs could be moved up to Double A or perhaps AAA but there's an approval process the team has to go through. I doubt there is much interest on the Riverdogs part to make any changes in their current status. But one thing the Riverdogs and city will need to do in the next 3 years is upgrade the Joe Riley Park to meet mandated MLB standards for stadium infrastructure. In the case of Riley Park this will involve making an overhaul of the concourse level. I've also heard the Riverdogs want to make expand the outfield seating.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:31 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
With the lack of population and being in the shadows of ATL/CLT/RDU, there is zero chance any South Carolina city could attract a major league sports franchise.

I believe the Riverdogs could be moved up to Double A or perhaps AAA but there's an approval process the team has to go through. I doubt there is much interest on the Riverdogs part to make any changes in their current status. But one thing the Riverdogs and city will need to do in the next 3 years is upgrade the Joe Riley Park to meet mandated MLB standards for stadium infrastructure. In the case of Riley Park this will involve making an overhaul of the concourse level. I've also heard the Riverdogs want to make expand the outfield seating.
We came very close to losing the Riverdogs in the last shakeup of MiLB. I can't imagine that we have much chance to AA or AAA.

Old 09-16-2022, 01:15 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Not to split hairs, I know you meant professional "major league" sports franchise, because Charleston already has a bunch of professional sports teams, they just all happen to be "minor league", but still professional!

Teams like the River Dogs (baseball), Stingrays (hockey) and Battery (soccer) are all professional sports teams.

Like others have mentioned, no way in H-E-Double hockey sticks does Charleston get a major league team. Green Bay is an anomaly, and have been basically grandfathered in. If they didn't have an NFL team today, there is no way they would be getting an expansion team, ever.

It looks like the Charleston-North Charleston, SC MSA is 74th in population with 813,052 people, if you look at the list of all the metroplexes ahead of them without a major league team, it will be a long wait indeed!
Agreed. Maybe it could land an NHL team in the near future but I'm not sure if there are that many Northerners in the area to sustain it.

Old 09-17-2022, 08:29 AM

309 posts, read 257,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
We came very close to losing the Riverdogs in the last shakeup of MiLB. I can't imagine that we have much chance to AA or AAA.
In 2021, the Riverdogs had the second highest overall attendance in not just the entire Carolina League, but all of "Low A" Minor League Baseball. We were behind Augusta. We're on par with average yearly attendance of AA teams.

While I think it's plausible we could see a higher class of MiLB, I don't think there's much appetite for it. The Riverdogs are well-loved in this town. More importantly, the owners seem to be content with what they have.

[Source]*

*They say we're the other Charleston. I'm pretty sure that's a typo.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:54 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Agreed. Maybe it could land an NHL team in the near future but I'm not sure if there are that many Northerners in the area to sustain it.
I was thinking they (Charleston) could possible get an MLS team, but even that is a long shot. It seems MLS is probably the "easiest" of the Big 5 major sports to land, as compared to MLB, NFL, NHL, and the NBA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area