U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 PM

27 posts, read 112,001 times

Advertisements

I just found this site and read a posting regarding this area. Someone unfairly judged North Charleston, Otranto Rd. area.....I live in Northwoods Pointe along Otranto Rd. I want to say that this is a great place to live and I enjoy it very much. In addition to it already being a great place to live, there is alot of new development that is positively impacting property owners and subdivisions in this area. Where else can you find a large County Park (Wannamaker Park), waterpark (Whirlin Waters), premier private college (Charleston Southern University), private school (Northwood Academy), 2 churches (Deer Park Baptist Church and Northwoods Assembly), hospital (Trident Hospital), interstate access (I-26), 2 large brand new hotels (Fairfield Suites and another), an emergent healthcare facility (Nason Medical Center - being built now) several restaraunts, drugstores, banks, and many other businesses within a 3 mile radius??? Would all of that exist in a dirty, crime-ridden, poorly maintained area?? I do not think so! I just hope the people commenting about this area actually live here...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 PM

890 posts, read 4,069,854 times
Try not to let it get to you (easier said than done). You will find a lot of half truths on this board, you just hope people are smart enough to figure things out on their own. Welcome to the board btw, we need more views and opinions from people out in your neck of the woods.

Last edited by scjj; 01-28-2009 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,229,412 times
Whenever North Charleston is mentioned on this board people think the worse. Sure if you look at crime stats it doesn't look like a good place but the crimes are happening in certain areas.

Like scjj said, try not to let it get to you. I live in GC and some people on this board talk badly about it.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 PM

76 posts, read 161,782 times
I just closed on my house in the area today. I did 4-5 late night drive throught to check out the area and it seemed fineto me. I didn't see anyone out, nobody tryed to sell me crack. But I am from DC. How ironic i find these post the day i close.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 AM

Well, darkchild001 - Welcome to the area!!! Yes, despite what people who DO NOT LIVE IN THIS AREA might say on here, this area is a great place to live. No, you will not find anyone trying to sell you crack, steal your car, etc.....It is pretty quiet here and people just go to work, come home, eat dinner, and keep to themselves for the most part...Isn't that what everyone wants? No "shady characters" scoping out your windows, etc...I encourage you to get involved with your local civic group (Deer Park Civic Group in this area), or Homeowners' Association so you can see what is going on in the community. Take care and welcome to our area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild001 View Post
I just closed on my house in the area today. I did 4-5 late night drive throught to check out the area and it seemed fineto me. I didn't see anyone out, nobody tryed to sell me crack. But I am from DC. How ironic i find these post the day i close.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 AM

1,889 posts, read 4,997,670 times
Most of the area is a fine area to live in. In fact North Charleston has some very nice neighborhoods. On of my new favorites is Taylor Plantation. It is just beautiful with the water right there and the old trees everywhere. I have also sold a few homes in Taylor, Windsor Hill, Summerfield Cedar Grove and have homes listed in Coosaw Creek. All great neighborhoods in the North Area. Otranto is great also so quaint and neighborly. Now if they could just get the schools up to par in the non-Dorchestor county areas. Not everyone can afford private.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
Most of the area is a fine area to live in. In fact North Charleston has some very nice neighborhoods. On of my new favorites is Taylor Plantation. It is just beautiful with the water right there and the old trees everywhere. I have also sold a few homes in Taylor, Windsor Hill, Summerfield Cedar Grove and have homes listed in Coosaw Creek. All great neighborhoods in the North Area. Otranto is great also so quaint and neighborly. Now if they could just get the schools up to par in the non-Dorchestor county areas. Not everyone can afford private.
thank you for your post!!! I appreciate your input on this subject..

Old 01-29-2009, 09:21 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,229,412 times
The Otranto Subdivision is actually in Hanahan city limits. I don't understand why there isn't a different name for the N Chas side of Otranto Rd. once it crosses Hwy 52.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area