U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:51 PM

4 posts, read 19,457 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows what type of snake this is and if we should be worried about it. We have a curious dog and don't want him getting bit, and we would like to avoid that for ourselves as well. Sorry I don't have a picture of his head or tail.

If the picture insert didn't work please check out

http://home.comcast.net/~mpcarabuena/snake2.JPG

and

http://home.comcast.net/~mpcarabuena/snake1.JPG

Thanks to all who reply.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 07:56 AM

9,101 posts, read 14,945,815 times
Wow! That snake is enormous (at least it isn't the man eating size snakes like they have now in the Everglades in FL that are about 4 ft thick and 25 ft. long). I'm worried about snakes too. My cat found a much smaller one about a foot long and 3/4 inch thick and I was afraid that one would bite him. I hope he'd be frightened of one the size you found and run away quickly. Sorry I can't help identify the snake you found. I hope someone else can.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:25 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,573,214 times
It looks like a rat snake or Simular Speciese...

Old 05-03-2009, 10:33 AM

I'm not sure it's a rat snake, the head didn't really look like that. His head is a little flatter, and more squared off around the mouth. But I appreciate the replies. I'll try to get a picture of his head next time I see him. As for the dog, his name's bradley but he should have been named George for how curious he is. He isn't afraid of it at all he goes right up to it and tries to smell it. After we tell him to knock it off he became a little more cautious so that's good at least.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 PM

416 posts, read 1,493,344 times
yicks! seeing a snake that big would freak me out! i think the poison snakes here are cotton mouths and copper heads. right?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 PM

I don't think those are the only two kinds of venomous snakes in the area, I think the total is around 6 but I'm not quite sure. And yeah, that snake has definitely kept us on our toes (pun intended) the past couple of days.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 AM

459 posts, read 1,486,912 times
Along with Cottonmouths and Copperheads, you have to include the Coral snake and the good old Rattlesnake (Eastern Diamondback) as to what is considered native species.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 AM

10,535 posts, read 12,454,702 times
Check out this link. SC Snake Pictures Page

I've used it a couple of times when I see snakes.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 AM

I've used that site a couple times, and I can't seem to find a snake that matches the patterns it has. It has a very black body, with distinctive reddish/orange and yellow stripes on it's belly. Thank you again for all your replies, I'm still looking to get a picture of the head and I'm gonna try and get a better picture of the patterns.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 PM

416 posts, read 1,493,344 times
thanks for that link. we found a snake on my front paved walkway this afternoon and i was able to identify it as a black racer from your link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or