Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:21 PM

134 posts, read 412,951 times

Advertisements

I hope I am not repeating a thread,but,as someone who is hoping to move to Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area with no family in the area is it a "clickish" city where,if you don't have roots in the area,you will be excluded? Please,honest answers.
I have visited many times and like the area,the culture and the people have been friendly but I know living in an area is different. Also, I'd be interested in volunteering or working in a library (I did that before) would it be hard to get this type of work in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:02 AM

5 posts, read 14,536 times
My husband and I "transplanted" from Southern California in 2007. Yes, we have discovered "cliquish" people, but do not let that keep you from the treasures of the Charleston area. Most strangers are friendly to your face, but are passive-aggressive behind your back. If you can transcend this attitude you will be happier. Old family names are popular, but as more of us "Transplants" come to Charleston we can motivate the culture to be more tolerant of all citizens. Volunteers are needed all over Charleston. I would recommend joining a church or other community program to meet people with similar interests

Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
I'm sure there is some of this. I'm from Charleston and moved to a few other parts of the country in the past and thought that they were that way. I think it probably happens in most places because of human nature to stay in a comfort zone. You seem to be open to new experiences and putting yourselft out there, so you should be fine. Many people move from other places and fit in well. You should have no problem volunteering.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:19 AM

72 posts, read 196,705 times
Snobbiest / clique'ish people I've met across the US bar none, when viewed as a whole.
What really suprised us is that this is across a wide age range, even very young people here.

But plenty of genuinely nice / unpretentious people too.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:16 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,766,333 times
You will find that people ban together because they are related, anywhere you go. I've lived in 3 states and 6 towns.....have seen this in all of them. As Rggr stated, it's part of human nature to be closer to your family members. It takes awhile and a history together to become really close friends with someone. You will find this especially true in small towns - where I grew up, I was related to just about everyone in town in some way, so of course we were a tight-knit group. It didn't mean that we weren't friendly and welcoming to newcomers....but we shared weddings, funerals, birthdays, and holidays with family members - I guess it's true that blood is thicker than water. It's not just in Charleston.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:22 PM

134 posts, read 412,951 times
Thank you for your answers. The small town I am in now is not friendly at all and very bad economically,drug infested,cliquish (even though I have lived here a long time). I need to move away from here. Seems like NOBODY really likes it here and moves if they can. I wonder if Florida would be better for a person to move to only because the state has had transplants for years and years. The only reasons I am here are 1. my parents (before they passed away) 2. Health issues--harder to pick up and move when this is a concern and 3. Money----I doubt even if I can sell the home where I am now living I will get much for it---it is quite old and needs repairs I can't afford to put into it.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shy chic View Post
I hope I am not repeating a thread,but,as someone who is hoping to move to Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area with no family in the area is it a "clickish" city where,if you don't have roots in the area,you will be excluded? Please,honest answers.
I have visited many times and like the area,the culture and the people have been friendly but I know living in an area is different. Also, I'd be interested in volunteering or working in a library (I did that before) would it be hard to get this type of work in the area?
Snobbish, racist, that's more the norm.

But remember people are from all over. If there are cliques, they are very specific to certain neighborhoods.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Snobbish and racists are mostly the from offs that move here, not the locals...

Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Snobbish and racists are mostly the from offs that move here, not the locals...
Even IF that's true- I don't think it is- that still equates to 75% of the population.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:16 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,473,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Even IF that's true- I don't think it is- that still equates to 75% of the population.
over 75% of the population isn't from here, so it sounds reasonable to me...

as many transplants that are here you would think you wouldn't even notice if someone was being snobbish because they are actually from here, but it isn't the locals that cause this... it's the newer people

after they've been here 10/20 yrs they think they have a "say" on who and what belongs where as if they now have some new found senority

the locals usually welcome anyone, we know it's not only more revenue but it's more people to learn different things from as long as they aren't bringing in gang bangers with them...

Charleston for most of it's life was a military town, anyone who's from here is well used to people moving in and out from other places in the nation... there isn't anything to be cliquish about unless you're trying to be someone you're not...

you will hear joking about "oh your not from here", but it's just a line for conversation more than anything... not an insult of some kind, just a way to find out where you are from or what it's like where you came from... or a mere observation that you haven't been here long enough to see the tranformation this city has constantly been in

be you and be a decent person and you'll find your home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area