Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 06:37 AM

45 posts, read 112,772 times

Advertisements

Where can I take yard debris trees/logs in N.Charleston (Dorchester Co.)?

I'm about to take down several trees and want to make sure I can do something with them before I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:12 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
I think they come around and pick it up in your front yard, or you can hall it off to Bees Ferry Rd land fill.

Or up Hwy 78 to the land fill between Jedburg and St. George.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:33 AM

I just found out that I may need to contact the County/City for a permit. Something about needing a permit for trees over a certain size.

This is the first state I've heard you need a permit to cut down a tree on your own property

The last thing I want to be known as is the illegal tree killer

Old 07-11-2009, 01:07 PM

459 posts, read 1,642,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMCPO View Post
I just found out that I may need to contact the County/City for a permit. Something about needing a permit for trees over a certain size.

This is the first state I've heard you need a permit to cut down a tree on your own property

The last thing I want to be known as is the illegal tree killer
Quite a few municipalities have passed tree ordinances in SC, which is not uncommon among other states as well. Trees under a certain size are exempt (usually 6 inches in diameter) and so-called nuisance trees (like pines) are exempt in most city codes. I was actually surprised to see it took so long for these ordinances to come into being. Before such ordinances existed, developers were clear-cutting tracts of land for sudivisions. In doing so, they were taking out the old growth oaks, hickory, magnolia, cypress, and such, along with the ever-present pines. Now they are heavily fined if they are caught removing these grand old trees. I see nothing wrong with preserving a tree it would take hundreds of years to replace.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
Quite a few municipalities have passed tree ordinances in SC, which is not uncommon among other states as well. Trees under a certain size are exempt (usually 6 inches in diameter) and so-called nuisance trees (like pines) are exempt in most city codes. I was actually surprised to see it took so long for these ordinances to come into being. Before such ordinances existed, developers were clear-cutting tracts of land for sudivisions. In doing so, they were taking out the old growth oaks, hickory, magnolia, cypress, and such, along with the ever-present pines. Now they are heavily fined if they are caught removing these grand old trees. I see nothing wrong with preserving a tree it would take hundreds of years to replace.
Understand the idea, but a tree on my land is...well, my tree. Why do I have to pay for a permit to cut down my own tree?

Just so you know, the trees awaiting the axe are not old growth trees.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:59 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,729 times
So anything over 6 inches needs a permit??

Old 07-12-2009, 06:02 AM

North Charleston is 10 inches DBH (diameter breast high).

I'm not sure what DBH is, but I'm either going to do some creative measuring or find a 7ft+ friend to see what his breast height is. I'm only 6'4".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area